It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
(male)

mwar HB User
Pain and cracking in right ankle

Good morning,

I was hoping to get a little bit of advice regarding some new pain that I have been developing in my right ankle. I have always had easy ankles to turn and sprain ever since I was young, and have always had some cracking and popping in that ankle since I was about 17, but never really had pain associated with it and have not had any recent trauma to it. However, it has recently begun to get very stiff, especially in the mornings and when I sit at my desk and not move it, and I've begun to experience pain in kind of on the front, right-hand side of the joint, especially when planting my foot on stairs or when pushing off on the foot hard, like when I run. The pain would be about a 3 on a scale of 1-10, but the pain also seems to spike when the joint cracks.

I have just visited a Podiatrist yesterday and he took an x-ray, which found no breaks and, from what he said, I have good spacing in the joint. He said he couldn't see any arthritis, but did bring up that this could be a pre-arthritic condition. He also said that he saw a very small bone spur, very close to where I feel the most pain, and that could be causing soreness in the soft tissue, but that there's not much that can be done about that other than surgery to kind of file down that spur, which he wouldn't recommend at this time based on its size.

Overall, I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences to this and may have any advice to offer in terms of trying to help with the pain, but also if anyone has any other suggestions or reviews about what my doctor indicated to me yesterday. I'd love to hear back, as I definitely want to try to have my ankle in better shape as I prepare for my softball and baseball leagues in the spring!

Thanks very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User
Re: Pain and cracking in right ankle

Do you have flat feet? If so wear orthodics. I had a heel spur that was awful and this was about 12 years ago and my pod prescribed orthodics but which took a few months before the spur pain ended. My flat feet has been the major cause of my ankle problem but for some reason is just on one ankle. Is your ankle swollen?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User
Re: Pain and cracking in right ankle

Like Powerplay, I have had a couple of spurs in the past. I have a big one on my heel that looks like a dog's dew claw on xray. I remember how that one developed...I did a cartwheel barefoot and came down on a big stone. OUCH! The spur developed and I had such pain with it that I ended up at a podiatrist who told me that while the thing was growing, it would cause pain but once it stopped, the pain would stop. Or he could surgically go in and file it down. I wasn't game for that to happen so I just suffered thru it...it took about 5 yrs for that pain to go away. But he was right, it did eventually stop hurting. My pain from that was bad first thing in the morning after resting all night...those first 15 mins of walking around KILLED me! And then it would seem to stretch out and feel ok. It also often hurt if I had been on it a while and would hurt when I lifted my heel up, taking pressure off the spur...stabbing pain.
When reading your description of your pain, the first thing that ran through my mind was arthritis. I have arthritis in both feet and ankles and that is how it feels for me. And it often gets worse when the weather gets cold and wet. Your doctor should try orthotics for you! They can really help and are a good alternative to surgery, Good luck.

Closed Thread