It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
6 Week Post-op

So I am 6 weeks and 2 days post up and had my OS visit to get the cast off! I didn't get to go to the office I usually see him at, but this one in downtown STL is closer. We got there early, and went in at 11 (appt at 11:30), we had someone come out and tell us that someone coded in the cast room and that it would be a while before I was called back. Around 11:40 they called me back (they had the lady awake on a stretcher getting ready to take her out), had my cast cut off and waited for the OS.
It took him almost an hour to get back there, but the nice 3 guy cast techs kept me company Dr said things look great, still happy there is no numbness. I mentioned the calf cramps and how it feels like on the surgery side things "jump". He got this really funny look on his face, and mentioned the possibility of a blood clot, so he felt around on my leg and said that if I were him, to go get a quick ultrasound. He talked some more saying I didn't have to do it...And I said, you're basically telling me to just do it, right? and he's like yup! So I walked out with a script to start PT (YAY!!!) and another for the ultrasound.
We made it up to the 8th floor, got called right back, and the guy asked me to take my pants off and put this towel over my legs...SO embarassing because I didn't bother shaving my good leg last night, and my surgery leg was so dry and hairy! I always do, but I was so lazy last night I didn't bother. They didn't say they saw anything, but I'm not really sure how that works.
I also am going to be out of work for at least another 4 weeks. He didn't feel comfortable releasing me yet. At least this way I can continue working on FWB as tolerated. Only complication to this is, I actually had a phone interview and it sounds very promising (its actually at the hospital I had surgery at). So I'm crossing my fingers things work out!
I hope everyone else is doing well!
Erin
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User
Re: 6 Week Post-op

Whew!!! What a day you had!! Glad there wasn't a clot. Do you take any blood thinners, baby aspirin etc. I've been on coumadin for risk of clots.

So you came out of the cast & were able to walk?!! Amazing....don't over do it!! I once was out shopping with friends after recovering from a broken leg, my leg gave out & I couldn't walk....just did too much, too quickly.
Those leg ultra sounds can be really embarassing....I've had a couple, actually done by one of my male neighbors....that was weird!

Good luck walking!!!! YAY!!!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

The last 2 weeks I've been PWB in the cast. So it's not like I went from NWB to FWB. And I'm gradually going from partial to full in time. Dr said not to rush it, that if I was still using crutches in 3 weeks it would be okay, but if I felt comfortable enough to ditch them I could do that to. He said to use pain as an indicator. I'm mostly having pain in my heel when I walk. It's odd since I had a brostrom evans, but I did get my cast wet last week, and my heel sat in that over that weekend before I got it changed. So there was some skin breakdown, not sure if that's been the source of pain??
I was told to take asprin 325mg after surgery, but once I was off the pain pills I just kind of forgot to take the asprin. I'm not on any other pills, so it's hard for me to remember. And I've been pretty active.
Since I was told I still have 4 weeks before I go back to work, I'm taking this easy, and not rushing anything. I do have to admit, I'm pretty darn excited to start PT next week, and I'm sad I have to wait until Thursday, since I requested my favorite PT.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Have fun in PT!!! I will be back there next week. It was so darn cold here I didn't go out for a few days....one day 52 below wind chill! I am starting pwb...my heel burns when I put it on the floor, but I also had the heel relocated. I can't imagine being rid of the crutches in 3 weeks, but that would be awesome!!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yay for cast off, good doc visit and progress! Also yay for what sounds like a negative u/s? I have a feeling it was negative or they wouldn't have let you leave the hospital. Hopefully you'll get the official results soon! Take it easy in PT and FWB. I imagine your heel hurts because it's been a while since you've put full weight on it. My heel hurt and was very sensitive until I built back up is tolerance! Hang in there!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I have to admit, I was not prepared for the level of sensitivity that I have encountered. My whole lower leg is sore and it even hurts to have it resting on the couch for too long. My entire foot is sore. Touching it gives me pins and needle feelings. My first ankle surgery was definitely not this bad! I also wonder how much sensitivity we feel with the cold weather?? I know, the colder I am, the more pain I'm feeling? First surgery was during summer months so I can't compare.
Walking has been interesting. Of course the more the foot is down, the less pins and needles I feel. The heel is still giving me some problems. I'm trying not to over do it. I've also enjoyed taking the boot off and working on the "gas pedal" moves. I can already see a difference from yesterday!
Like some have suggested, wearing a sock to bed helps with sensitivity. I pulled out a knee high sock and that seemed perfect!
Thanks for all the replies!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I am the same way as you. The colder my ankle/foot is the more it hurts. My first surgery was also during summer whereas this 2nd one was in winter. Hang in there! It does get back to normal!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Today must be my day for a wallowing pity party. I have been relatively positive through this whole surgery/recovery process. Of course my nature is to be a positive person. Even while I've been off work, I've kept up on what's been going on, I've worked on my resume, applied for new jobs, had a phone interview that went well!!! And I'm working my way to the next step of a face to face interview.
But today I hit my bottom. I'm already a little stressed about the interview, but know if it's ment to be, it will work out, but my dad insinuated that I'm holding back on my recovery and that I'm just sitting on my butt doing nothing when I should already to back to work and that I should already be off the crutches. Seriously if it was at easy I would have ditched them Thursday when I walked out of the OS office. But it's not that easy! 6 weeks of NWB, casts, PWB it takes time! Even the OS said I could be on them for 3 more weeks. And it was him who won't release me for work. Of course I can't blame him for not. I very well couldnt run around a store all day for 8-10 hours. I couldnt unload a truck or move merchandise. Of course I sometimes feel like superwoman and I'd totally try to make it work...but that's why he refused to release me for 4 more weeks.
Sorry for my long pitiful rant, but I know all you wonderful peoe here understand what it's like when our loved ones think we should be better already!

The following user gives a hug of support to Erie0385:
ginger62 (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Oh Erin, we all know that feeling. You get so excited about the small things that are really a big deal for "us". Then someone else just kind of shrugs and doesn't appreciate what a milestone it is. The first time I walked with one crutch I was over the moon! However, my family was not very impressed. They weren't mean or anything, they just don't get it.
But we do! So post and rant and boo hoo all you want to here. You've got a lot of ups and downs ahead of you...you know we'll all be here for you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with yourself. You should be seeing some big improvements soon. It will happen.
Ginger

Old 01-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm sorry your dad wasn't very tolerant but yes we all know exactly what you mean! When I got my cast off my OS put me in a boot and told me I could WBAT and then when the visit was over, handed me my crutches and said its going to be a while. You aren't walking out of here today. And he was right. It was another 2 weeks before I was walking in the boot without both crutches! So totally of 8 wks own crutches for me! So hang in there!!! It will come and not that you have to be, but you are justified in yourself, by your OS and the rest of us!!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
(female)

I know the feeling.....no one has come right out & said it to me like that, but i read it in their faces and can read between the lines. It has been over 3 months for me....now working on pwb. People ask me
Why don't you go in to work for just a few hours .... I was there for a bit on Saturday. I could navigate around the store, but when you can't stand without the crutches it makes it very hard to get much of anything done, except be in the way. I run an antique store & an old fashioned soda fountain diner...lots of lifting, moving things, standing & walking all day...none of which I can do.

This just takes lots of time....my OS said work my way up to fwb in 3 more weeks....even that seems remotely possible. I wish I was walking....I actually dream I am & wake up thinking I can, but then I put my feet on the floor and reality sets in pretty quickly!!!

Hang in there!! You are actually ahead of where I was at your stage. I am a slow poke!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #12
(female)

I know the feeling.....no one has come right out & said it to me like that, but i read it in their faces and can read between the lines. It has been over 3 months for me....now working on pwb. People ask me
Why don't you go in to work for just a few hours .... I was there for a bit on Saturday. I could navigate around the store, but when you can't stand without the crutches it makes it very hard to get much of anything done, except be in the way. I run an antique store & an old fashioned soda fountain diner...lots of lifting, moving things, standing & walking all day...none of which I can do.

This just takes lots of time....my OS said work my way up to fwb in 3 more weeks....even that seems remotely possible. I wish I was walking....I actually dream I am & wake up thinking I can, but then I put my feet on the floor and reality sets in pretty quickly!!!

Hang in there!! You are actually ahead of where I was at your stage. I am a slow poke!

Closed Thread