It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #16
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User
Re: Triple Athrodesis for a young athlete

Dave

Glad to hear u had u gud day. I know how frustrating it is to not be able to take care of itself let alone not to be able to help ur partner. I've been disabled the past couple of years so my fiances ben great in dealing w it but she has more on her plate now that I'm completely limited. Those of us that are doers find it difficult to just sit around and let others work. Its easy enuf to slip n have an accident w the leg. Do ur best to try n relax and get better pain meds. I got a muscle relaxer too which helps a lot. Ull get thru this in no time. Hang in there!

External fixator and achilles lengthening around 12/14/10.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #17
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

Dave

Glad to hear u had u gud day. I know how frustrating it is to not be able to take care of itself let alone not to be able to help ur partner. I've been disabled the past couple of years so my fiances ben great in dealing w it but she has more on her plate now that I'm completely limited. Those of us that are doers find it difficult to just sit around and let others work. Its easy enuf to slip n have an accident w the leg. Do ur best to try n relax and get better pain meds. I got a muscle relaxer too which helps a lot. Ull get thru this in no time. Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #18
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

New and anyone else,

I get what you are saying even more now about those of us who are doers find it hard to sit idle. It is ten days post op and I am trying to get used to it. I can't imagine doing this without a strong support system, so if somebody is out there doing just that, God bless you and good luck!

There was more hassle with the naval hospital and pain meds, I was going to have to drive down every four days for thirty pills but we complained loud enough and they showed us SOME mercy and gave us 50 percocet. I haven't taken a single one of them though.

Okay, here we go, time for some overshare but I really want to be honest. My decision to come off the pain pills wasn't entirely from lack of pain. I was so constipated I felt like death was imminent! The percocet apparently backs you up and they give you a stool softener for it. Well, it was worthless. I continued with the stool softener, ate half a bag of dried prunes, and drank some natural smooth move tea and thank all that is holy, I am... okay. I've never had this problem in my life.

Friday, my first day off pain meds and nine days post op, was pretty easy. As was today. Really the worst of it is at night. Like now. I've started taking three Tylenol a couple times a day to take the edge off. As long as I keep my foot elevated, no pain at all except for the rubbing on the stitches no that the swelling is down I assume. As long as I have it elevated or even I am good. But if I get up just to brush my teeth or go to the bathroom it swells up and turns purple in about two minutes. It's not terribly shocking like it might sound, but it's enough to make me want to get it elevated again.

Really, besides that, I get really hot at night and I can't sleep. It's just uncomfortable. I was keeping a couple pillows in my bed to keep it elevated. But between the stitches and my temperature going up and down all night I get uncomfortable.

Can't wait to start PT and be done with casting. I have an appointment Tuesday.

Good luck to all!

Old 02-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #19
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Dave, is your temperature actually going up and down, or are you going through the sweating/chills thing at night? That is a side effect of oxycodone -- between that, the psychadelic nightmares, and rashes, I had to switch to hydrocodone then nothing. It took a couple of days for my symptoms to resolve. Wishing you a good nights sleep soon!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

Dave,

Glad to hear u are off those meds. They are rough in that dept. When I had my external fixator, I was on morphine and delauded for a few weeks at least and i had to go the magnesium citrate route to help me out. The swelling and all is normal. I get my staples out on Thursday I hope. This cast business drives me nuts cuz I get some intense itches that I cant get to. :-) I get my knee walker tomorrow. Ive been using chairs to roll around in. One thing I highly suggest u dont do is hop on ur other leg, as it will strain ur knee and ankle. I have to crutch still up 14 stairs. The crutches are doing a number on my wrists, as I have arthritis in them already. Im used to the stair thing though I hate it. Hope it keeps getting better for u. See if u can get some ambien for sleep and/or muscle relaxer. It helps a lot!

Old 02-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

[QUOTE=newtotriparthro;5127897]Dave,

Glad to hear u are off those meds. They are rough in that dept. When I had my external fixator, I was on morphine and delauded for a few weeks at least and i had to go the magnesium citrate route to help me out. The swelling and all is normal. I get my staples out on Thursday I hope. This cast business drives me nuts cuz I get some intense itches that I cant get to. :-) I get my knee walker tomorrow. Ive been using chairs to roll around in. One thing I highly suggest u dont do is hop on ur other leg, as it will strain ur knee and ankle. I have to crutch still up 14 stairs. The crutches are doing a number on my wrists, as I have arthritis in them already. Im used to the stair thing though I hate it. Hope it keeps getting better for u. See if u can get some ambien for sleep and/or muscle relaxer. It helps a lot![/QUOTE]

Why are you using crutches to go upstairs? It is so much easier and safer to crawl. Try it. All you need is to have an extra pair of crutches upstairs or just crawl to you destinations

Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Powerplay, my thought exactly about the crutches. I know you men are tough, but this is no time for false pride or modesty. You may fall and break something else. Go up and down on your bum. Much safer and faster.
Good luck with all the healing!
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
PesCav (02-27-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
(female)

hida HB Userhida HB Userhida HB User

Ginger - I agree much safer to bum shuffle up and down the stairs

Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #24
(male)

Heavy46 HB User
Wink Re: Triple Athrodesis for a young athlete

[QUOTE=PesCav;5123686]Going to the ER was a smart move. Happy healing, love your positive attitude!![/QUOTE]

I dont blame anyone for going to the ER. At 14 weeks i tried to go from my rollabout to a walker and I thought all the bones came apart. They say let pain be your guide but i believe moderation is the answer. I will put some weight on my foot it doesnt hurt at the time but in 3-4 hours it may make me rethink that decision.

Good Luck

Old 02-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #25
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

Hello everyone,

I hope everything went swimmingly with you (new) and getting your staples out. I got mine out on my appointment on the 5th. It really wasn't bad at all. The corpsman who did it was pretty skilled. They put me in ANOTHER cast as well, UGH! I feel you about having an itch you can't scratch. My wife is constantly catching me sticking bent up coat hangers in there to scratch and giving me the "busted" look. I also want to get it off so I can CLEAN IT!

I also crutch up the stairs. It doesn't have anything to do (in my case) with being stubborn or prideful. It's just easier. It's quick and easy and quite honestly when I crawl around on the floor to get around or play with my little boy I find that MUCH more painful.

I went back on the pain meds for a couple of days after getting the staples out and being re-cast. They cast me at 90 degrees and that blew my mind. It was a bit painful. I am back off the meds again.

I went out for the first time the other day to get some coffee with my wife and kid and then out to lunch today. It is getting easier.

They gave me some more time off work. Thank the Lord! I'm staying more than busy doing some college courses online, hanging out with the baby boy and my wife, reading Game of Thrones, and writing.

I'm also taking supplements. I'm taking 800mg of vitamin D and bone meal every day to help with the healing.

I hope you all are well! And good luck to you guys with your recovery!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #26
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

[QUOTE=Heavy46;5131119]I dont blame anyone for going to the ER. At 14 weeks i tried to go from my rollabout to a walker and I thought all the bones came apart. They say let pain be your guide but i believe moderation is the answer. I will put some weight on my foot it doesnt hurt at the time but in 3-4 hours it may make me rethink that decision.

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

It's good to hear about what to expect down the road. Now I know when I put my foot down for the first time I might feel like all my "bones came apart"! That sounds terrible my friend.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #27
(male)

Heavy46 HB User

As the weeks pass take every improvement and add to it, i read the medical paper on what might help the healing process and It appears there is not a clear roadmap
on the healing process everyone is different. I had xrays again this week and slowly the fusion is taking place. It looks like 6 month mark is where i hopefully will be close to normal again. My surgeon reminds me this was major surgery. one thing i did find was a heated foot whirlpool after the incisions heal it has taken a lot of the soreness out my foot.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

[QUOTE=Heavy46;5134313]As the weeks pass take every improvement and add to it, i read the medical paper on what might help the healing process and It appears there is not a clear roadmap
on the healing process everyone is different. I had xrays again this week and slowly the fusion is taking place. It looks like 6 month mark is where i hopefully will be close to normal again. My surgeon reminds me this was major surgery. one thing i did find was a heated foot whirlpool after the incisions heal it has taken a lot of the soreness out my foot.[/QUOTE]

I agree - everyone heals differently. I am now 20 weeks out and been walking in sneakers for over a month and decided to put on regular slip on loafers yesterday with no problem. Yes, a sllght limp that if I concentrate I can walk without with minimal pain. For me I have one more visit with my surgeon next month and will get his final blessing. The 20 weeks have gone by fast and couldn't have picked a better time of year to do this. Headed for vacation in 2 weeks and expect to do alot of walking.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #29
(male)

Heavy46 HB User

Great to hear it helps me on knowing i am moving forward,it is a new world
when you have been non weight bearing,now trying to do everything right

Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #30
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

Hey Dave,

Glad to hear u are finally doing better and doing things to pass the time with online classes and games etc. i do the same. that sucks that u got another cast. it was driving me nuts. hopefully u will get ur air cast at some point. yes, crutching up the stairs is easier for me too, as that is what i learned on during my first surgery. if u havent gotten a knee walker yet, please do. they are great.

getting the staples out was a bit painful for me. i take the air cast off usually twice a day and move my foot back and forth as suggested. i rest it on the floor a lot. after the staples came out, i got some swelling on the inner right of my foot and at the bottom of my foot. i felt some crunching sound when putting the air cast on the other day, and am starting to feel some pain on the outside joint that was fused, almost like it wants to pop. flexing the foot feels a bit numbing at times. i take calcium that has vit d with it, vit c, zinc, and magnesium as supplements. im starting to get a bit worried/paranoid that one of the joints could end up non-union. i got a really bad callous on my heal that is getting better. try not to scratch with a hanger. not gud! :-) my thing is picking at the scabs from the scar just cuz i want them off of there, and sometimes it itches around the area. what fun! :-)

Reply Reply

Tags
achilles tendon surgery, bone fusion, running, triple arthodesis