It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User
Re: Triple Athrodesis for a young athlete

Dave, you are technically 2 weeks behind New, so his posts should give you some hope!! But I know how guys are, so dont start competing when you are not ready. Hope the separation orders come out however you want them to.

Last edited by PesCav; 03-01-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #32
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

Haha never thought of competition w Dave. Could be fun! I got 2 walking on one crutch only up and down the drive way and the pain wasn't to bad once I told myself there was no pain. I sat down then and tried it again later and it was a no go. I'm in a lot of pain w swelling now. I sure hope it gets better!

External fixator and achilles lengthening around 12/14/10.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Wow! I'm at the six week point and probably four more until my doc let's me walk. Mine was a revision for my broken subtalar arthrodesis. Got a new cast today to wear for two more weeks. He made this one different and gave me some motion inside it by putting it on a tad looser. I'm in no pain for the most part. Occasionally it gets achy. He did a little test on it today that before surgery was painful and it didn't Hurt at all. You have a brave doc Trip.

Sounds like you two are both doing well! Take it easy!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #34
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

thanks! yeah getting there! went to the gym today and did the exercise bike. after it loosening up, i was able to walk without my crutches! first 10 steps, then 26. im calling it a day on that. i know generally ur supposed to wait longer to weight bare, but he was happy with the way it was fusing, so told me to start crutch walking, by next month, wants to see me walking without them. im not sure how all this will end up turning out, if im doing too much too, but it didnt feel that bad. i went from one crutch, then just went for it. let me tell u-DON'T BABY IT! i was doing that w my last surgery, and remembered that with this one. babying it for me hurts worse. just stand up straight, have confidence that it will work, and next thing u know, ull be walking. im gonna go put it up and take some pain pills now, but it felt great to be able to do this.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #35
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotriparthro View Post
thanks! yeah getting there! went to the gym today and did the exercise bike. after it loosening up, i was able to walk without my crutches! first 10 steps, then 26. im calling it a day on that. i know generally ur supposed to wait longer to weight bare, but he was happy with the way it was fusing, so told me to start crutch walking, by next month, wants to see me walking without them. im not sure how all this will end up turning out, if im doing too much too, but it didnt feel that bad. i went from one crutch, then just went for it. let me tell u-DON'T BABY IT! i was doing that w my last surgery, and remembered that with this one. babying it for me hurts worse. just stand up straight, have confidence that it will work, and next thing u know, ull be walking. im gonna go put it up and take some pain pills now, but it felt great to be able to do this.
Every doctor is different and some like mine are more conservative. I asked him why 10 weeks before weight bearing and he said " I tend to go more conservative" and he was right as far as I am concerned. What will happen is that you won't be in the walking boot for long so perhaps some doctors let you go into the walking boot earlier and then make you stay in it longer. I am now 22 weeks as of today and have been walking just fine in sneakers and shoes for 9 weeks. Still have a slight limp which is coming from a little soreness at the part where the foot and ankle bone meet ( I guess the instep) and still have some numbness on side of foot. Overall, I am pleased and much better off than before surgery. From what I have read it takes almost a year for full recovery.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #36
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

yeah there does seem to be some differences in doctors. im not going to overdo it, but it was nice to be able to push past the pain. he has me doing the exercise bike, and that helped a lot. i wasnt in as much pain afterwards, so that gave me the confidence to go for it. he was happy with the way ive been fusing, which is why he gave me the go ahead. the last thing i want to do is overdo it and have to go through all this again. it feels really weird when u first start to walk. ive had pins and needles along with the pain of when i push and walk. standing on it is no problem.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #37
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

Dave -
If they decide to separate vs limdu - before you accept anything, check how it will affect your doctor & PT. You may have to continue with VA vice the naval hospital & there may be a gap.

I know what's its like to just be done with it, but VA can be a bigger pain to deal with than the Navy docs. Long time ago they threw me out with my c-spine screwed up. I was pretty much SOL for a while with no doc, no insurance & no job. Eventually it all worked out, but just something else to think about.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #38
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

Hello everyone,

Sorry it has been a while! Being back at work has cut down a bit on my free time. I had a friend driving me into work for a couple of weeks while waiting to get my hard cast off.

I had an appointment on March 20th (about two months post op) my doctor had me start weight bearing at 75% with two crutches on the way out. Thank God! I was more than ready. The main benefit was getting in the shower. That first shower all the dried blood came off and the soft skin all started coming off. It was a bit gross. She told me to increase my weight bearing by 25% a week. The first week was a bit painful at time and the swelling was terrible! It was a bit shocking taking my foot out of the boot and seeing it so swollen.

I increased to 50% the next week and with more regular use the swelling has not been as bad.

This week I am at 75% and am supposed to be using one crutch at all times. I rarely use a crutch at home and have been progressively started walking a little outside of my boot just out of impatience. Walking barefoot on hard surface is definitely painful, so I suggest getting some slippers or something. I am supposed to start weight bearing at 100% with the boot (cam walker) on Wednesday.

Quite honestly it is very achy. I would not say it is painful at all times. But it is so sore it is ridiculous at times. I want to start working out like YOU NEW!!! But my doctor won't let me bike, or swim, or anything else for that matter and I am feeling like a chunky monkey every time I get to the top of the stairs out of breath! My fusion is a bit crooked and I feel like I am walking on the outside of my foot, which bums me out. She mentioned doing another surgery to fuse down my first metatarsal so I can walk on my whole foot or she is going to brace it so that I am less affected. I can't imagine getting another surgery right now.

Under my big toe and my heel are still swollen and I am beginning to wonder if they will go down by themselves or if it needs to get drained.

I went into this determined to be able to run afterwards and this week with all the pain, and with my foot being so weird I am feeling a tad discouraged. I will figure it out. My wife, who has never been a runner, is starting to run to encourage me. She says that we can run together as I get better. It's nice to have that kind of support.

Wilk,

I really appreciate the advice. My doctor actually waited till after my surgery to even put me on limdu so I would have the time to recoup before getting out. They approved my limdu (which I was hoping they would not honestly) I want to get out now. I am a machine gunner and have already been to Afghanistan and did the whole deal. My battalion is not deploying again for another two years so there's no reason to be here. My company first sergeant and CO have been really cool with me and are letting me just check in for half days when there isn't anything going on. Oh, Wilk, did you have a case manager? Do you suggest one?

I have another appointment in a week and a half. I will keep you guys updated.

How's yours going NEW?

Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #39
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

Dave! Great to hear from you! I haven't been on here much lately, and as of 4/11/13, will be my 3 month post op. Glad to hear you are walking, albeit painfully. That sucks that you are walking on the outside of your foot. I've heard about that happening to others. About my update-

Been walking for probably a month now, and had been going without crutches for about a few weeks now. When I started, my foot also was really swollen under the big toe and heel. I pushed myself and within two days of being given the ok to do weight-bearing with crutches, I tried walking without them for a few steps, and it was ok. I was also given the ok to start exercise biking. I had to do it bare footed, as I had no shoe I could fit in, so I was at the gym taking off the air cast and biking with one sock. It felt weird, but great to bike.

One day went to an outlet mall and I one crutched the whole time, which was very painful. My heal was killing me. I went to the doctor that week, and he told me to get a gel insert, which only helped a little. I went back the next week and said it wasn't working, so they gave me the go ahead to start wearing shoes with a fiberglass brace. I took my Dr. Scholls that I wore before the surgery (new ones) and got it fitted. It was really tight in there. When I wore the brace, it dug into my foot on the outside. The doctor's office said to get custom shoes. I went to the brace guy, and he said to try New Balance, which are wide at the front (someone else on here said that too). I got skate shoes, but was told I need a heal, so got the New Balance (great and comfy), but with the brace, still hurt. So, this week, I go back to the brace guy to try and adjust it. It may not work. I've been walking without it, and walking has actually reduced swelling on some areas, but also increased it in others.

I can get into my crocs now (the first ones I was able to get into), and wear them sometimes and my sneakers others. I get a lot swelling in the front of my foot, on the inside and outside where the foot bends. Pain is mostly in the back near the achillese and subtalor joint. I can walk barefooted, and have just a slight pull toward the outside, whereas before it was completely to the outside. Barefooted is sometimes the most comfortable. The most my foot does is wobble back and forth slightly side to side when I walk. I was told at the doctor's office that everything looked great before. It wobbles to the side, but then ends up in the front, right after the other. Icing helps. My metatarsals got moved, so I hear a lot of popping sounds as they seem to shift a little. If I walk too much, I get pain on either side of my foot where it bends. I think thats just from not walking right for a few years, and now walking a lot better. For the first time in my life, my foot doesnt pull to the inside. I seem to have holes or gaps on either side of my foot where it bends, so not sure what that means. I can go up and down the stairs one after the other, though I still have a tendency to hobble.

I'm a long ways from healed, but better than I was 3 months ago. I have questions still, but I hope things are ok. The heal still hurts when I walk, but the foot in general just gets sore if I'm on it for too long.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #40
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

New,

Good to hear from you buddy! Glad to hear that for the most part the healing is going well. I've actually has a VERY similar experience with my heel. My heel bothers me more and is swollen more than any other part of my foot. Barefoot walking feels terrible on anything other than carpet. But I can walk in the boot for a good part of the day (and a crutch) with little swelling and pain at all. If, however, I overdo it it feels very stiff and painful and there is a thin line between fine and overdoing it.

How do the crocs feel? I've been thinking about getting some for around the house.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #41
(male)

Heavy46 HB User

I am glad to see people are telling their stories on this surgery
I had mine in Oct of last year and i wouldn’t recommend it if you are not in pain. I am now starting to walk in a regular shoe
It is a long recovery period and a lot of support from the family is crucial
Good Luck to all

Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #42
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

Heavy-sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience so far. I hope it gets better....

Dave-I did a bit of walking yesterday and wow, did my foot swell up! I had a lump of swelling on my achilles and on the front inside and outside of my foot, as well as in the back outside near the subtalor joint. the crocs are comfy, but my old ones tend to push my foot to the outside. I wore them for most of the day today, and I swelled up bad near my subtalor joint again. I got these New Balance sneakers, and they are a life saver! they have a wide front. I havent been able to wear my brace, as it hurts my foot. Im going in tomorrow for an adjustment on it. I dont think it will help though.....weird, this never sent. its the next day, and the brace is working better now!

Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #43
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

I'm sorry to anyone who has been following my posts as I have not posted in three months!!!

First off, I'M RUNNING!!!

Now, we'll back track a bit. It's hard to remember exactly. But the next week after my last post I got to 100% it was slow going and there was quite a bit of swelling at first. Walking barefoot or showering was just shy of impossible and it felt like my toes were completely dead. They would wiggle at every step like they were loosely attached but this may be because of the FHL tendon transfer.

I got to physical therapy the first week of May (or so) and worked hard. They gave me several exercises to do at home. I took these very serious at first and showed massive improvement. Work your toes this helps everything else. I pick up marbles with my toes and place them in a cup. It was almost impossible at first but I am getting better at it. I stopped taking my personal therapy seriously and also started doing a lot of yard work and home improvement projects and backslid in a MAJOR WAY! It is so tremendously hard, not to rest, but to take it slowly. I became very discouraged.

(Quick recommendation; if you are going to do any yard work at all wear boots that will stabilize your ankle. The constant rolling will make you swell like crazy. Also buy some crocs, they may make you look like an idiot, but they are comfortable and easy to wear around the house.

It was difficult at times because the physical therapist I went and saw before my surgery asked me "why is it so important for you to run?" and "Is it worth your foot?" I told her it is, and they can take the darn foot and she is either going to help me get there or not but I don't need the negative energy.

I worked out on the spin bike like crazy to drop some of the weight I had put on, worked on some silly very non masculine machines (abduction, deduction) and a lot of squats, leg lifts, pilates type exercises. I also walked a mile a day. At first this took about 30 minutes. But I just focused on fixing my gait and taking the limp out of my step. If you go to fast you will LIMP LIKE CRAZY, slow down, do it right. I took these very seriously and spent two and a half hours at the gym AT LEAST four times a week.

At the five month mark I got approval for a walk to run program but have to wear two braces, they are not custom. One is an ankle foot orthotic with a little bit of give, the other an ankle stabilizer. I ran for the first time on a treadmill walking and running alternating minutes and honestly it was very weird but didn't hurt at all. The only pain was in my knees, which have always hurt when I run on the treadmill, I think because I am a big guy (6'3 220). It was a little weird but I focused on not limping and only ran about 6-6.5 miles an hour.

I had noticed that my ankle is a little crooked and I tend to run a little pigeon toed and on the outside of my foot. But because my foot was broken for so long the subtalor bone shrunk and they had to fuse it crooked. Oh well! It's a new foot! Just remember, IT WILL FEEL DIFFERENT! Don't be discouraged. Just work on taking the limp out!

Later that week I started a couch to 5k program with my wife. Their is an app on the iphone that will tell you when to run and when to walk audibly so you don't have to look down. IT FELT GREAT!!! Running on the pavement was awesome! It basically started with a five minute walk, and then 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking alternating and then ended with another five minute cool down. My wife had been training for a 5k and had actually run her first one a few weeks prior as I cheered her on. I have to be honest here, I outran her, I was way out in front cheering her on and pushing my kid in a running stroller. She was very proud of me and I was very proud of her (She ran the 5k, and she never was a runner, so she could encourage me to get back to running with her, she's the best thing that has ever happened to me). So we are getting back to it and will run a 5k together at the end of this.

In the mean time I got up to 8 miles an hour on the treadmill. I feel great. The limp is gone and I have more push off my right foot than I have had in years. Hang in there! Don't let anyone tell you "you can't do it!" YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN RUN! Just make up your mind and don't compromise.

I will let you all know when I run my first (post surgery) 5k in a couple months!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-07-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #44
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

dude! thats awesome! great to hear! im not as fortunate at this point. ive tried a slow jog (dont have approval to do so) twice, and once was cuz i thought i was going to miss a flight, and i got swelled up. i may have to have another surgery cuz i dont have as much flexability as i should. the dr thinks a screw is impinging on that, and it was found that i haev about a dime size of arthritis on my ankle that makes it hurt. he will shave that off. overall, im happy with the results, as i do walk better than i did. i still get pain at the back outer part of my foot and at the top of it where the foot bends. i get a lot of popping sounds, and my achilise area loads up a lot to where it pops really load. i have a slight roll in my foot which accounts for the back part of the pain, but also get pain in a tendon on the outside part of my middle foot a lot. i may go for a cortesone shot at some point to try before doing surgery. i wear sneakers comfortably, but with the usual pain. i have a custom brace i wear sometimes, but not a lot, as it causes more pain at the top of my foot. and both sides where the foot bends it hurts there too.

Closed Thread

Tags
achilles tendon surgery, bone fusion, running, triple arthodesis