It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #46
(male)

Heavy46 HB User
Re: Triple Athrodesis for a young athlete

I am glad to see people are telling their stories on this surgery
I had mine in Oct of last year and i wouldn’t recommend it if you are not in pain. I am now starting to walk in a regular shoe
It is a long recovery period and a lot of support from the family is crucial
Good Luck to all

Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #47
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

Heavy-sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience so far. I hope it gets better....

Dave-I did a bit of walking yesterday and wow, did my foot swell up! I had a lump of swelling on my achilles and on the front inside and outside of my foot, as well as in the back outside near the subtalor joint. the crocs are comfy, but my old ones tend to push my foot to the outside. I wore them for most of the day today, and I swelled up bad near my subtalor joint again. I got these New Balance sneakers, and they are a life saver! they have a wide front. I havent been able to wear my brace, as it hurts my foot. Im going in tomorrow for an adjustment on it. I dont think it will help though.....weird, this never sent. its the next day, and the brace is working better now!

External fixator and achilles lengthening around 12/14/10.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #48
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

I'm sorry to anyone who has been following my posts as I have not posted in three months!!!

First off, I'M RUNNING!!!

Now, we'll back track a bit. It's hard to remember exactly. But the next week after my last post I got to 100% it was slow going and there was quite a bit of swelling at first. Walking barefoot or showering was just shy of impossible and it felt like my toes were completely dead. They would wiggle at every step like they were loosely attached but this may be because of the FHL tendon transfer.

I got to physical therapy the first week of May (or so) and worked hard. They gave me several exercises to do at home. I took these very serious at first and showed massive improvement. Work your toes this helps everything else. I pick up marbles with my toes and place them in a cup. It was almost impossible at first but I am getting better at it. I stopped taking my personal therapy seriously and also started doing a lot of yard work and home improvement projects and backslid in a MAJOR WAY! It is so tremendously hard, not to rest, but to take it slowly. I became very discouraged.

(Quick recommendation; if you are going to do any yard work at all wear boots that will stabilize your ankle. The constant rolling will make you swell like crazy. Also buy some crocs, they may make you look like an idiot, but they are comfortable and easy to wear around the house.

It was difficult at times because the physical therapist I went and saw before my surgery asked me "why is it so important for you to run?" and "Is it worth your foot?" I told her it is, and they can take the darn foot and she is either going to help me get there or not but I don't need the negative energy.

I worked out on the spin bike like crazy to drop some of the weight I had put on, worked on some silly very non masculine machines (abduction, deduction) and a lot of squats, leg lifts, pilates type exercises. I also walked a mile a day. At first this took about 30 minutes. But I just focused on fixing my gait and taking the limp out of my step. If you go to fast you will LIMP LIKE CRAZY, slow down, do it right. I took these very seriously and spent two and a half hours at the gym AT LEAST four times a week.

At the five month mark I got approval for a walk to run program but have to wear two braces, they are not custom. One is an ankle foot orthotic with a little bit of give, the other an ankle stabilizer. I ran for the first time on a treadmill walking and running alternating minutes and honestly it was very weird but didn't hurt at all. The only pain was in my knees, which have always hurt when I run on the treadmill, I think because I am a big guy (6'3 220). It was a little weird but I focused on not limping and only ran about 6-6.5 miles an hour.

I had noticed that my ankle is a little crooked and I tend to run a little pigeon toed and on the outside of my foot. But because my foot was broken for so long the subtalor bone shrunk and they had to fuse it crooked. Oh well! It's a new foot! Just remember, IT WILL FEEL DIFFERENT! Don't be discouraged. Just work on taking the limp out!

Later that week I started a couch to 5k program with my wife. Their is an app on the iphone that will tell you when to run and when to walk audibly so you don't have to look down. IT FELT GREAT!!! Running on the pavement was awesome! It basically started with a five minute walk, and then 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking alternating and then ended with another five minute cool down. My wife had been training for a 5k and had actually run her first one a few weeks prior as I cheered her on. I have to be honest here, I outran her, I was way out in front cheering her on and pushing my kid in a running stroller. She was very proud of me and I was very proud of her (She ran the 5k, and she never was a runner, so she could encourage me to get back to running with her, she's the best thing that has ever happened to me). So we are getting back to it and will run a 5k together at the end of this.

In the mean time I got up to 8 miles an hour on the treadmill. I feel great. The limp is gone and I have more push off my right foot than I have had in years. Hang in there! Don't let anyone tell you "you can't do it!" YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN RUN! Just make up your mind and don't compromise.

I will let you all know when I run my first (post surgery) 5k in a couple months!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-07-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #49
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

dude! thats awesome! great to hear! im not as fortunate at this point. ive tried a slow jog (dont have approval to do so) twice, and once was cuz i thought i was going to miss a flight, and i got swelled up. i may have to have another surgery cuz i dont have as much flexability as i should. the dr thinks a screw is impinging on that, and it was found that i haev about a dime size of arthritis on my ankle that makes it hurt. he will shave that off. overall, im happy with the results, as i do walk better than i did. i still get pain at the back outer part of my foot and at the top of it where the foot bends. i get a lot of popping sounds, and my achilise area loads up a lot to where it pops really load. i have a slight roll in my foot which accounts for the back part of the pain, but also get pain in a tendon on the outside part of my middle foot a lot. i may go for a cortesone shot at some point to try before doing surgery. i wear sneakers comfortably, but with the usual pain. i have a custom brace i wear sometimes, but not a lot, as it causes more pain at the top of my foot. and both sides where the foot bends it hurts there too.

External fixator and achilles lengthening around 12/14/10.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #50
(female)

RARunner HB User

Hello Dave! Just curious how the running is going?! I was just given the choice of having a double(maybe triple) fusion. I have RA. It will eventually have to be done. I am a runner. Although I am often told to stop...but I think you understand why I'm not willing to give that up at this point
Just curious to how you are now! Thanks!
Heather

Reply Reply

Tags
achilles tendon surgery, bone fusion, running, triple arthodesis