It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

Brandie4499 HB User
Angry Feeling Better Before Surgery-THanks

thanks to all you that post. I will be having my surgery on April 3rd and I am off and on scared!!! I am glad to hear you all say that you are better after the surgery. I guess it's good to also know that I will be in pain so I will be emotionally prepared. I am having flat foot reconstruction surgery. Will I have to sleep sitting up for weeks? Is there anything I can take to speed up the healing process? Looking forward to this but not......

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User
Re: Feeling Better Before Surgery-THanks

No you won't have to sleep stting up, you will have to sleep with your foot propped up on a few pillows to keep it above your heart. Some found it easier to sleep in a recliner with the feet up...I like my bed with a memory foam topper....you get sore laying around too. I like the contour memory foam pillow for cradling the leg. It is a little firm so it stays up...top it with a soft pillow or two.

Things to consider buying or renting before hand: cast cover for showering, pillows, shower chair, shower spray hose, knee scooter, crutches, lotion, stool softener, gel ice packs or an icing machine, toilet seat riser(i didn't use one but i und e r stand why) cooler for snacks by your bed. Pill organizer, books,, movies temporary handicap parking permit etc...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
(female)

Brandie4499 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. I am making a checklist from the information you gave me. I will be ready, as much as I can, for this.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
Check the sticky post about being non-weight-bearing... And read all of the replies... So much good info! What are you having done?

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
Never mind! I saw your procedure. Missed it in the first post. I wish you the best.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Hi Brandie! You'll find so much good info here. Wishing you all the best on your upcoming surgery. I can assure you, we were all scared and super anxious before our surgeries, as well.
The biggest advice I can give you is to plan how you're gonna get around post op. I have a 2 story home and practiced scooting down and crawling up the steps. Also, I'm not happy unless I can bathe each day, I practiced getting in and out of my tub without using surgical foot. Hand held shower is a must. I could easily bathe and wash my hair, with no prob.
Also, plan clothing. I found yoga pants would get over the surgical splint and cast, and were super comfortable with long sleeve shirts. Footless leggings work also. I like slipper socks, with wide stretchy openings and gripper bottoms. They fit over the cast and provided warmth.
My dr had me NWB, with my foot elevated, 23 out of 24 hrs for the first 2 weeks. Most of us experienced this, some had to be sitting longer. Plan to have things to keep yourself busy. I call this making a nest!! Crossword, movies, books, crafts, whatever you like to do, make sure you have things handy.
Ask anything you can think of,,,we're here to help!

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
Brandie4499 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Well everyone has pretty much covered the lists of what to get, how to build your best and what to put in it so I will just say you've come to the right place. Everyone here is so supportive and full of great info! We've all been through it and we'll be here to answer your questions and listen to you vent! So glad you are getting so prepared ahead of time! That's half the battle!!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
(female)

Brandie4499 HB User

This has to be the best decision I made joining the health boards. you guys have no idea how much support I feel already. thanks again to all of you! be prepared to hear from me a lot as I'm laying in my bed.

The following user gives a hug of support to Brandie4499:
ginger62 (01-28-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
(female)

Brandie4499 HB User

Hey everyone 6 weeks before surgery. Finding myself more tearful but I know I must go through with this reconstruction. I can't live well with flat feel!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Hi Brandie4499
Welcome to these wonderful boards.
Yes the feeling you are having are completely normal, inside my head I convinced myself I didn't need the surgery several times, lol. I think I tried to back out and justify it here on the boards but our friends on here, soon have me thinking straight again.
But just remember you are taking the steps to getting back to a normal life, yay! It is worth it, and my experience not as bad as I had inside my head. I have a week left till I have cast removed this will be 7 weeks, and cannot come round quick enough, I know the next stage is going to be hard too, but am ready for the next stage, lol
Ask all the what seem silly questions, vent, cry we are all here to help you x

The following user gives a hug of support to Animal1968:
Brandie4499 (02-18-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Animal1968 For This Useful Post:
Brandie4499 (02-18-2013)
Closed Thread