It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User
Re: Nerve block question?

Yeah when I've had surgery when i wake up they ask my pain level, give me some morphine then move me to my recory room. About 30 mins later they give me a pain pill. So always ahead of the pain. I have a low pain tolerence anyway..so I have to stay ahead of it.

Laura I did take tylenol when I was weaning off my pain peds. It was the 325 mg but they said I have to be really careful with it snice I was on tylenol t3s as well. If you want to mix pain pills with tylenol I would ask ahead of time but they most likey will say no till your weaning off the meds. I had a chart that I kept track of the times and what I took. Its very useful so I don't take too much. My liver isn't badly damaged but I do have to get it tested yearly..so I'm super careful. What are you having done?

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I had general anesthesia and 3 nerve blocks. They started the blocks before I was under, still in the pre-op area. They had already given me the sedative in my IV and I actually fell asleep right as they started them, when I woke up, they were done, so I don't remember any of it. One block was supposed to last 8-12 hours, the other two were the cathether type that they said would last about 3 days.

My surgery was outpatient, I went home about 2 hours after my surgery. I was completely numb aside from a slight throbbing in my ankle. The nurse said I was about 95% pain free. She said when the first block wore off, I'd be about 50% pain free. The first block lasted about 8 hours. I still was not in a lot of pain, I could just tell I wasn't quite as numb as I had been. I started the oxycodone then, afraid for when the real pain set in. I only took 1 every 6 hours, since I wasn't in a lot of pain, but wanted to be ahead of it when it did kick in. The other two blocks they said would last 72 hours, and we had to take them out when they ran out, but I would stay numb for up to a day after that. I had surgery on a Tuesday, we took them out on Friday morning. The wore off by Friday night.

I knew I would have the block that lasted 8-12 hours, but did not know about the other until the anesthiologist told me about it. I wasn't about to turn anything down that was going to help with pain, and I was so thankful for those blocks. I think it got me through the worst of the pain. Once the last of the blocks wore off, i continued taking oxycodone through that night, sure that the pain was going to come in force, but it was never too bad.

I will say it was an odd sensation to be so compltely numb for 3 full days. And I was terrified of my toes freezing when I was icing because I couldn't feel them to know if they were okay or not. I made my husband check them obsessively.

The Following User Says Thank You to NCgirl96 For This Useful Post:
ohitscourtney (01-27-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

Courtney, I'm having my flat foot corrected and my accessory navicular bone removed. If I can remember right, I'm having the calcaneal neck lengthening, cuneiform something or other(removing bone and replacing it with bone graft on lateral side of foot), lengthening some ligaments, repairing one torn ligament and checking to see if my peroneal tendon is torn and needs to be repaired. Brostrom something or other. And gastroc. recession on my calf. Uggh. I sounds like so damn much and I know it all is connected and is what will make my foot function properly again (supposedly). I have no idea how long all this takes in surgery. Mine will be outpatient. Kinda wish it wasn't, just for the first night.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei51 View Post
Courtney, I'm having my flat foot corrected and my accessory navicular bone removed. If I can remember right, I'm having the calcaneal neck lengthening, cuneiform something or other(removing bone and replacing it with bone graft on lateral side of foot), lengthening some ligaments, repairing one torn ligament and checking to see if my peroneal tendon is torn and needs to be repaired. Brostrom something or other. And gastroc. recession on my calf. Uggh. I sounds like so damn much and I know it all is connected and is what will make my foot function properly again (supposedly). I have no idea how long all this takes in surgery. Mine will be outpatient. Kinda wish it wasn't, just for the first night.
I had my accessory bone removed and that worked. I have a screw in my foot from that. The thing that didn't work from that was that we found out my PTT had too much scar tissue and keep streching back out. I haven't had any of the other stuff your getting done but I'm sure other people on this board. All mine have been outpatient. Its not all that bad. I mean the drive home(I'm about 40 mins away from UMH) wasn't all that fun but the pain managment has always been okay. How far are you from where your getting the surgery done at? If you have any question, ask away. This board is a good place to ask everything and see what has happened with other people surgerys.

2/28/13 FDL transfer

The Following User Says Thank You to ohitscourtney For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

I had surgery about 3 yrs ago on my wrist to remove a tumor. They gave me a nerve block in my whole arm. I had no idea I was going to have one, just woke up with a numb arm. It was the weirdest sensation to not feel a thing. I couldn't control that arm since I couldn't feel it. I remember it fell off it's perch on a pillow and just kind of flopped around. LOL I had to ask my hubby to move it back to the pillow cuz I couldn't do it myself. Feels like it's not a part of your body. Very odd. But thank goodness for it!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sounds like when you arm falls asleep. I really think I had one for my first surgery because for 12 hours my foot was like numb. I didn't feel much. The 2nd time I know I didn't cause it was more sore..and it def wasn't numb.

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
(female)

My car ride from the surgery center to home is about 25 mins. They will give me my pain meds right at the surgery center so I don't have to worry about stopping at a pharmacy on the way home. I'm taking my foam elevation wedge with me so I can get in the back seat and put elevate my leg on the way home. Figures it's snowy and icy right now here. At least I have a garage with an entrance into the house so I don't have to deal with that right away.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

I sit in the front and my dad drives crazy do my foot sits on my lap with a pillow cause if Iput it up on the dash it would move around too much. I don't fill my meds at the UMH...so my dad goes out again once I'm home and gets them filled but they give me a pain pill before I leave.

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
(female)

Your dad drives crazy? LOL Doesn't he know he has precious cargo on board? Maybe he figures you can't feel that ankle anyway so he doesn't need to drive more sedately.
But, at least he's there for you, right? Maybe you should try sitting in the back seat next time if there is a next time.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh there is a next time feb 28th. He always drives crazy. The back is too hard to get into and my mom is in there as well. I wish I could get in the back. But the mini van makes it hard haha

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohitscourtney View Post
Hello everyone
So I've heard alot of you guys talking about a nerve block and I thought I got one with my first surgery but, im not sure. I know I didn't with my second. So my question is can you have both a nerve block and general anesthesia? Do you ask for the nerve block or do they decide if you need it? And lastly is it done before you under the anesthesia or after?
Thanks!
Nerve block is just to make you more comfortable after surgery. You still have general anesthesia. I had mine done right before surgery - like 15 mins - and it was done by the anestesiologist. It did hurt but is only a brief 5 seconds. For me they did one at mid calf and the other below calf or maybe ankle not sure. They can last for 36 hrs and mine was 27 hrs. As soon as you can start to move your toes you need to let the nurse know so they can immediately start the pain meds.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks powerplay but, i'm outpatient so if it wore off it would be at home. I've always started my pain pills before I left the hospital.

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #28
(female)

Powerplay, did you stay in the hospital after your surgery? Mine is being done as outpatient, so I'll be home when my block wears off. My surgery is scheduled for 7:30 am so I sure hope my block lasts at least 24 hrs. I has a nerve block done on my arm once when I had wrist surgery and that block wore off in about 16 hrs.

How are you doing now that you are 4 mos post op?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #29
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Quote:
Powerplay, did you stay in the hospital after your surgery? Mine is being done as outpatient, so I'll be home when my block wears off. My surgery is scheduled for 7:30 am so I sure hope my block lasts at least 24 hrs. I has a nerve block done on my arm once when I had wrist surgery and that block wore off in about 16 hrs.

My surgery was outpatient, I was scheduled for 8:30 I think but surgery didn't actually start until 9:30. I don't remember what time they started the block, but probably 8ish? It wore off that evening, probably around 8 or 9, so I got somewhere around 12 hours of out it, I have heard others last longer. The other two blocks (the catheter ones) lasted around 3 days. The nurse told me to start the pain meds as soon as I had any tingling in my toes at all and not to wait for the actual pain.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #30
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Quote:

Hi, I was in the hospital for 2 nights but should have only been 1 night but my doctor wanted to be there to release me so asekd me to stay an extra. Even if you are an outpatient, I would still push for the nerve block even if it does wear off when you are home, The block will give you comfort for most of the day if not the next day. I was told to make sure I let the nurse know immediately when I was able to move my toes so they could start my on pain meds to offset the block wearing off.
4 mos later now, I went to see the surgeon last week and he basically told me to resume normal activity. He does want me to wear the ankle brace for another 2 weeks to prevent me twisting my ankle. I can walk very well and really no pain walking but do have a limp that will take time for that to go away. I see him in 2mos and then that will be the last visit - I am done.

Closed Thread