HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Nerve block question? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/936877-nerve-block-question.html)

ohitscourtney 01-26-2013 05:46 PM

Nerve block question?

Hello everyone :)
So I've heard alot of you guys talking about a nerve block and I thought I got one with my first surgery but, im not sure. I know I didn't with my second. So my question is can you have both a nerve block and general anesthesia? Do you ask for the nerve block or do they decide if you need it? And lastly is it done before you under the anesthesia or after?
Thanks!

Btrfli1 01-26-2013 05:56 PM

Re: Nerve block question?

Hi,
I had both block and general. When I did pre-op visit with my OS, he told me I'd have the block for pain management. I had some reservations about the block because I had one several years ago with a different surgery, and it was VERY painful going in. OS said I didn't have to have the block, but that he strongly recommended I have block because I'd be in extreme pain post-op and the block would keep me pain free for about 24 hrs. When I met anesthesiaologist pre-op, I told him of my previous block experience and he gave me meds through my IV (verset and fentenyl) which helped tremendously with pain when the block was done. I'd definitely recommend the block, as I was fairly comfortable till the block wore off. Good luck with your upcoming surgery! Jeanne

ohitscourtney 01-26-2013 06:09 PM

Thanks!
How is the block done? When i wasgetting prep for surgery i wasawake all the way to the room where they will do my surgery. I've been lucky and had some fun people to wheel me back and make me less nervous then it takes about 5 mins and i'm out like a light. I'm going to have to ask about it at my pre op visit on feb 20th...I have a huge feel of needles though..so if its a big needle I might have a major freak out. I had a bad experience with getting blood drawn when I was little.

PamS1970 01-26-2013 07:12 PM

I highly recommend getting one. For my first surgery I didn't get one, but my second and this last one I did. Mine lasted for 2 days. The first time I had one they did it before surgery. They gave me something to relax me and I barely felt it. This time they did it after. It was my choice but my Dr recommended it. I was glad I did since I have a problem with pain meds. They insert it in your thigh and you are facing in the opposite direction so you don't see the needle at all. It was a poke and you can feel the nerve get stimulated but it is minor discomfort. Way worth the pain relief it provides. I left the hospital pain free.

Btrfli1 01-26-2013 07:23 PM

My block went into the inside of my leg, right below the knee. With the meds in my IV, I barely felt it. I had novacaine into the ankle after surgery while still in OR and still out. My surgery was outpatient and I went home pain free.

ohitscourtney 01-26-2013 07:27 PM

Thanks guys :) I looked at the papers from my first surgery and I guess I did have a nerve block. They must have did it while I was sleeping. They didn't for the second though. So I will be sure to ask. I would still rather have them do it when I'm not awake but if they can't then I will do it before.

Btrfli1 01-26-2013 07:33 PM

They can do the block when you're out, however, since they have to run electrical current to ensure they have the correct nerve position, my anesthesiologist said it was more effective to do the block while still awake. I can assure you, with meds in the IV, pain was negligible. If I was gonma have a block, I wanted to have the most effective possible.

ohitscourtney 01-26-2013 07:43 PM

I just get too worried about the needle snice I will be wide away I think I will freak out about it more. But all the advice I've gotten is great. I'm leaning towards getting one...I will have to discuss it at my preop and then on the surgery date. Cause last time it wasn't even talked about

lauralei51 01-26-2013 08:47 PM

OMG I'm getting so nervous for my upcoming surgery. I am glad to be reading about exactly what happens, but at the same time, I'm starting to really get nervous. I spend almost my entire day thinking about it and wondering how I'm going to cope for the first few days after surgery. I'm getting butterflies in my tummy. Butterflies seems to be too delicate a word for what I feel...maybe it's bats in my tummy. Uggh

Btrfli1 01-26-2013 08:51 PM

Lauralei, you're gonna be fine. Stay on top of your pain and it's manageable. It 's important to follow your dr's instructions to a "T". Ask anything that you want to know....everyone here is great about sharing info. When is your surgery?

angelee43 01-26-2013 09:50 PM

I had a nerve block done once I was under. Lasted for about 12hrs before it started to wear off. I stayed 2 nights in hospital so the nurses kept checking so they knew when to start the oral pain killers to keep ahead of the pain.

Troly59 01-26-2013 10:23 PM

I had a popliteal block, behind the knee and general anes. I was given slight sedation right before and I didn't feel more than a slight pinch. It lasted 16 hrs. There was pain when it wore off but manageable with Norco and Atarax which help me sleep. I would recommend the block or your fighting pain as soon as you wake up. There is a limit on the amount they can give you.

lauralei51 01-26-2013 11:10 PM

My surgery date is Feb. 6th. I'm also having a nerve block plus anesthesia. I have a question about pain meds. I usually take Vicodin for pain control after a surgery. I am narcotic sensitive so there are a couple of pain meds I cannot take at all. Vicodin isn't a perfect solution but better than nothing. The only problem I ha with it is that it keeps awake. I cannot sleep when I'm taking it so in the past, I've taken Benedryl with it at bedtime. Benedryl knocks me out. I wonder if I might be able to take Tylenol PM with the Vicodin? I've never taken Tylenol PM before and I'm not sure if Tylenol is ok with Vicodin. I need my sleep! It sucks to be in pain but to be in pain and not be able to sleep is intolerable.

Troly59 01-26-2013 11:38 PM

Laura, NO NO Unless you want liver damage.. VICODIN has Tylenol in it.325-750 mg per tab depending on the strength. The daily 24 hr limit for (acetaminophin) TYLENOL for an adult is 3000 mg. AND at that level it is high.Tylenol is very damaging to the Liver. Most cold medicine also has Tylenol in it. Ask for Atarax. That is what I took. it made me sleep so it was calming and helps with itching.

lauralei51 01-27-2013 12:36 AM

[QUOTE=Troly59;5123646]Laura, NO NO Unless you want liver damage.. VICODIN has Tylenol in it.325-750 mg per tab depending on the strength. The daily 24 hr limit for (acetaminophin) TYLENOL for an adult is 3000 mg. AND at that level it is high.Tylenol is very damaging to the Liver. Most cold medicine also has Tylenol in it. Ask for Atarax. That is what I took. it made me sleep so it was calming and helps with itching.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Troly, I completely forgot about the Tylenol in Vicodin! Thanks for the info on Atarax. I will ask about it and see if it's ok to take with my other daily meds.