It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
(female)

BubbleGuppy HB UserBubbleGuppy HB User
Unhappy Superduperlargelongsupersigh. Here we go again... for the 10th time.

Prom will be here in a couple of months, and my leg is getting worse and worse...

I am short, but I have nice legs... or a nice leg. I wear dresses that hit mid thigh because that's what looks good on me. Any longer or any shorter, it looks terrible.

I'm still lugging around a boot on my foot. For those of you that know the story, move past this next paragraph. If you don't, please continue.

March 2012, I flipped my ankle over my foot (^, not > or <) after the toe of my shoe caught on some grip tape on some stairs. I was going to see The Hunger Games... I walked on it, very carefully, despite how much it hurt. Within 2 minutes, my ankle was the size of a soft ball. I texted my mum, saying "I think I sprained my ankle.", but little did we know, it was far worse than we thought. My ankle continuously rolled around all day. This was a Friday. When I got home (I went to the movies with my school, not ONE person asked if I needed to see a doctor or anything... I'm out of that school now, thankfully.), my mum gave me a Walmart brace to put on my foot. It was FAR too swollen, and until Sunday morning, I lived hopping around on one foot with it far above my head. The swelling and bruising was from the tips of my toes to my knees. I went to the ER Sunday morning, and was told that it was simply a bruise. They did an xray of my foot and lower ankle, said that there was too much swelling to get a good xray, gave me a too small brace, and sent me home. The next day, I went to my primary, who gave me crutches for "a week", but little did we know, I was going to stay on them all summer. Early August, (I was given a boot) I had a round of xrays and an MRI. I was told that surgery was going to be the next route, and that was that... wrong. August 31st, after being diagnosed with a super old grade 3 high ankle sprain, I was told that I needed to ditch the boot and learn to walk, and do PT. PT did nothing for me, and I did it 3-4 times a week for at least 3 months... I ended up with Achilles tendinitis, and still to this day deal with severe pain in my leg.

Now, the muscles in my right calf are getting awfully bad. Super duper skinny and weak. I can stand on my right leg (more than half on my left) for 10 seconds in the shower, before the pain gets too intense and the pain shoots up my leg for an hour after. I'm sick and tired of it, and the doctors won't do anything with it. My ankle still rolls inward.

I am not wearing this thing to prom. I do not want to. I don't want to put myself in pain, but I'm so sick of it... I just want to walk... in a sick sort of way, I'm considering taking the boot off the night of prom, and running and jumping up and down and walking around with only a high top (yes, because I wear dresses with my wonderous high tops<3) shoe on, and in another sick way, hoping it will finally just BREAK...

I don't know what to do anymore... I don't want to wear it to prom... the weakness and muscle loss is getting really bad, as is the pain... Doctors just say to take it off and do PT... PT didn't do jack...

sigh...

what should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
(female)

Grumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB User
Re: Superduperlargelongsupersigh. Here we go again... for the 10th time.

Go see another doctor. If that doesn't work then go see another one. Not at the same practice either. Go see someone who won't have access to your chart from your current doctor so that they don't just look at the previousl doctor's notes and say "yup, that's what it is" without taking a good look and coming up with a diagnois on their own.

My first doctor told me it was a bad sprain and I would just have to let it heal. Gave me a script for a $500 cream and sent me on my way. After two months I went to another doctor who said nope, not a bad sprain and that $500 cream won't do you a bit of good. Major sigh and a few potty words.

I wound up have surgery for mine a little over three months after I twisted it. Turns out that if the first doctor has ordered an MRI with the higher Tesla (1.5 vs the .6 he ordered) then it would have been obvious that the tendon had a tear and no amount of wearing a boot or brace would help.

For what it's worth I'm not a big fan of PT. I haven't been doing it after my surgery and I'm doing ok. To me, PT is just more time off from work and more money out the door.

The only other piece of advice is to not wear really big hair for your prom. The pictures will come back to haunt you. As someone who went to prom in the 80's I know what I'm talking about here.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
(female)

I'm going back to a new doctor here in a few weeks. My scoliosis is getting pretty bad, so we're doing a physical and films and such... perhaps they'll refer me...

and I have no hair to begin with. shaved my head for a friend with cancer <3 by then, it'll be about 1.5-2 inches though... still not "big"able!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

Grumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB User

Wow! You are a good friend. My husband participated in St. Baldricks but I'm not sure I could do that.

Another thing to try is Angie's list. It costs money to belong but the reviews are real and usually helpful to me. Also, you can look at any nearby university hospitals or hospitals where they treat athletes.

The main thing to to find someone that you gel with (for lack of a better term) and that doesn't just dismiss you. Not sure the ankle is so easily dismissed as something to "just get over it already" but from reading this board a lot of people get that.

Good luck and please let us know how everything goes.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
(female)

As I'm a minor, I can't simply take myself to the doctor. My mum (or dad) have to take me, and they're both convinced that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my ankle...

I've said, to both of them, that I can FEEL that there's something wrong... it doesn't feel right... but they don't believe me. I don't know what to do.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
(female)

Sorry, I was thinking you're parents were on board but I guess not so much. My only other suggestion is to talk to your doctors when yor go in to be seen for your scoliosis. See what they think.

Last edited by Grumpstress; 01-29-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
(female)

Nope, not on board... they agree with the doctors that said that it's nothing... They're refusing to get my scoliosis films until I take the boot off, because the boot isn't helping... My hips hurt so incredibly bad, I can't lay on my back, and my right hip is lower than my left, and when you add a walking boot on the right side, you get some serious problems...

I'm HOPING that they'll make the appointment anyways to get the scoliosis films, and I know that the doctor will ask about my foot... I hope that if I explain, maybe he'll refer me to someone other than the surgeon that said no surgery was going to help my foot, because there was "nothing to fix"....

Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Ya know BubbleGuppy, if you are able to take off your boot and still run and jump around, PT is probably the best thing for you. A lot of us here would love to do that but can't, and never will be able to again. You should listen to your doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
wants to walk (02-01-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
(female)

I never said that I could. I said that I was thinking about doing it for prom (which is months away), and in a sick way, hoping that it finally just... goes.

I did PT. For months. It did absolutely nothing for me. Nothing. Not a single thing.

When walking super long distances, I have to use crutches or have them handy in a heartbeat, because the pain in my ankle will get so absolutely horrible that I can't stand on it any longer. It happened constantly when we were moving (and pulling up carpets and painting and cleaning, etc). Even walking around Walmart will cause my leg to balloon up.

Without this boot, I wouldn't even be able to make it down the stairs.

You obviously must not have been around from post #1 about my ankle, I went into far more depth in the early posts than I have lately, it's tiring to have to write everything out all over again, or having to explain it, just because it's been so freakin' long.

I'm supposed to be traveling to Denver, Albuquerque, and Washington this summer. I'm going to see 1D and family. I'd rather NOT be in a boot, but I cannot walk without it.

So, yeah. I wish I could do it too. I'm a kid. Instead, I sit my rear on the couch and go to school online, and on rare occasions, leave the house.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

I have read every single one of your posts. Listen to your doctor. Do your PT at home and at your appointments. If it is possible for you to run and jump at all, 2 things I cannot do and will never be able to do, then there is hope for your ankle. Good luck and best wishes.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Well, not trying to be mean but I am not going to sugar coat things. I know you say how pt did nothing for you and how your doctor and family won't listen to you. I have read your posts and totally understand how frustrating it is living in pain. Trust me, been there done that and still living it after surgery #2 in less than a year.

I have to admit that I am with your doctor and PT on this one. You're young and in many cases doctors prevent surgeries on young people for the reason that no matter what surgery you have, you typically will end up with some sort of arthritis from it. Surgery should be prevented by all means in youth.

In regards to wearing your boot against doctors orders, you're hurting yourself in the long run. It may feel better for the time being but the more and more you wear that, you're losing muscle mass and without PT you're not building anything back up. I for one can attest that being in a boot for any amount of time without PT is going to create a large amount of muscle loss in addition to that you can add muscle atrophy which is hard to come back from. PT is not going to give you the instant gratification you are searching for. If your injury was even half as bad as you describe it, you should be in PT for a long time. Results don't come over night. You are only harming yourself as long as you wear that boot against doctors orders. My suggestion, burn that boot and get your bum in PT and bust your butt doing so. Taking it off merely for prom and prancing about and hoping that you will hurt it worse is the most immature and irrational thing I have heard in quite some time. Hurting it worse is only going to be harder on you and if you think what you're going through is hard now, you're going to hate yourself if you have surgery. Sure, surgery is going to get you that attention you've been wanting where everyone feels sorry for you but that all goes away after a week. People only play into the pity party for so long.

My final words of wisdom, listen to your parents, doctors, and PT. Burn your boot and bust your bum doing exercises. (Which we all know do nothing for you according to you but we all know better from personal experience). I know I have been redundant but I know I am most likely wasting my breath trying to help you because you're not going to listen to what anyone has to say unless it is what you want to hear.

Best wishes to you!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
LadyKanner is absolutely right. Do what your doc is telling you to do. Surgery is no bliss. I'm on number two and who knows if it worked. Grow up a bit sweets. The pain really sucks - and I completely and utterly sympathize. But do what your PT and doctors are saying... Once you cut your foot open there's no chance of letting your body heal on its own. You may totally get there and need surgery, but listen to your doctors and give it the best chance it has to heal on its own.

And please, take this with the kindness it's meant, don't be stupid on prom night. Your feet need to last you for many more years. Do what you can to fix it now.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

LadyKanner and Snowrunner couldn't have put it any better than they did. They are both spot on.

I know you say PT doesn't work for you, but honestly, you haven't done it long enough (consistently) to know. I've had 2 ankle reconstructions. The first when I was 24 and the second last year at age 35. After my one last year I was in PT for 3 months. I reinjured the same ankle in Sept and started PT the beginning of December. I'm still in PT now trying hard to rehab this injury and praying I don't have a 3rd surgery in my future. Yes ankle injuries are difficult and the pain is bad. Have you noticed how many of us have had 2nd, 3rd and some 4th surgeries? There's a reason. Once you have surgery on a foot or ankle, a lot of times it's never the same and sometimes has to be redone for whatever reason (failed, reinjury, different injury, etc).

And please don't not be irresponsible and do something stupid at prom. You may wish you could repeat the night. And as far as the boot, not only are you losing muscle mass, but you are losing range of motion and that is hard to get back even WITH PT let alone without. I'm still working to get that back from being casted and booted.

Just please listen to your parents and doctors. There's a reason you can't make legal decisions on your own yet. I sincerely do hope you heal soon and aren't in pain.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Star6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB User

BubbleGuppy you have my sympathy but what ladyKanner, Hollywood and Snowrunner are saying are right! Trust me this may not be what you want to hear but i have a High Ankle Sprain too and i have been going on 3 and a half years all up for my injury. This includes Physio Therapy etc.

Anyway will tell you my history to try and help out cause surgery is the last resort and if you can avoid it you are better off. I would have rather avoided it but unfortunately it got to the stage thats no longer the case for me. But yes this all started for me 3 and a half years ago when i rolled my ankle in a hole one of the dogs at the farm dug and 2 days later i stepped out of a car and got major sharp pain in my ankle.

We went to the doctors and did XRay, CT Scan, Mri scan, Tried a Podiatrist, Chiropractor, Orthopedic doctor all said it was in my head and i had chronic regional pain syndrome even though i new it wasn't that just because i had a disability and the scans didn't show anything up! I didn't find out till 18 months down the track when i went to a Physio therapist that i had a High Ankle Sprain and by that stage it was too late to do the normal route they would take for my injury so i just did PT and worked on it and eventually it got to the stage i didn't have to go back anymore, I mean i still had an unstable ankle but i used a tennis elbow strap to help stabilize it when i was doing physical activities and this helped a lot. It even got to the stage that i didn't need the tennis elbow strap.

Unfortunately thats where the injury came back for me again! Cause i felt pretty good etc i decided i wanted to start at the Gym and went there and joined up etc cause i wanted to get fit and get back into activities again after 2 years of not being able to do much. So i went to the gym did the treadmill machine and bike my ankle tried to go over a few times and felt weak and wobbly and i was limping a bit after but it was okay. A physio at the gym saw me limping a bit though and asked if he could have a look. I told him about the high ankle sprain and how i had it and he stretched my ankle around all sorts of ways and pressed in spots that had me in tears it hurt so much and said i reckon you have ruptured your ATFL cause it hurt there and said i don't think you have a high ankle sprain! Cause at that stage it had healed enough that it didn't hurt when he did it but i could feel things really stretching in my ankle.

Next day i couldn't walk cause my ankle had been re injured and it was swollen and everything and really hurt to walk on it. Yet again it was back to the hospital for an XRay cause my ankle was so sore, nothing showed up there so they gave me crutches and then i went onto the doctors for a CT Scan nothing showed up there, then MRI which showed up High ankle sprain with injury to the syndesmosis and likely injury to the AITF (anterior inferior tibiofibular Ligament) with suspicion of grade 2 injury to the ATFL with mild high signal seen associated with the calcaneofibular ligament which was a worse injury than the last time i had done it! However my doctor when she saw my MRI results said no action needed! Which i was shocked at so went and got a new doctor so it could be fixed up once and for all.

In the meantime of getting all these results though i was yet again in Physio Therapy trying to get things working unfortunately it was so sore that they couldn't do much but tape it and this unfortunately cut off my blood circulation to my foot for a few months. I kept going to the Physio for a few months till it got to the stage that he said i cant do anything more for you! You need to see an orthopedic and get this pinned i physically kept going till he told me he couldn't do anything for me and that i need to go to an orthopedic doctor. I also by this stage had really bad instability and couldn't take one step without my ankle collapsing even with crutches.

However after that i tried Chiropractor, Osteopath, Sports Medicine doctor ( who was useless told me it was all in my head and i needed to be on pain medication and that he didn't agree with the MRI results and told me to forget the injury! That didn't happen though as i refused to start at the pain clinic as i knew it wasn't in my head and things did improve briefly after seeing him.), I saw another guy that works with footballers and putting the ligaments back in place, I saw another lady that puts muscles etc back in place however none of this worked and all it did was stir my ankle up and make things worse. even my tennis elbow strap didnt work anymore.

So we went to my now Orthopedic Surgeon for an appointment and for once got some answers and i also got bad news that i would need surgery even though i knew it would happen it was the very last thing on my list to have happen cause it just wasn't a choice i wanted to have to face. As surgery just wasn't my priority.

However at that appointment he knew things that i didn't tell him about pain i was getting in areas i didn't mention i have no idea how he knew but yes, he also looked at my scans and said there's definitely injury to the syndesmosis etc there and that it was like 80% torn and that there were no signs of healing etc as if there was there wouldn't be nearly so much inflammation and swelling where they were and that it was highly unlikely they would ever heal. I also found out i have a very unstable ankle and when he asked what we had tried and i listed Physio etc and how long its been going on for etc he wanted me to try the boot as a last try to get the muscles stronger and supporting my ankle etc since physio had failed as a last chance to avoid surgery.

My next appointment with him is the end of February when he will be discussing what he wants to do in surgery but from what he mentioned as well as syndesmosis repair etc he also wants to do a ligament reconstruction using one of my tendons too cause of how unstable my ankle is.

I even had an ultrasound to check out my tendons recently in that ankle apparently even the ligaments are normal they could be but they may not be who knows those scans dont always show up the extent of damage that has actually been done. As i physically know even if they are normal and have healed a bit there they are still very stretched and my ankle is still totally unstable just cause of my injury. I even had a Physical trainer that works in gyms tell me just when he saw me like this that you can tell my ankle is totally unstable just from looking at it and the way it turns out etc and that he reckons i do need ligament reconstruction.

I honestly would have avoided surgery at all costs but unfortunately for me my ankle just didn't respond to any conservative measures this time like they did last time and hence for 6 months i have been cooped up at home and on crutches hardly able to get out anywhere.

My point though is sometimes it can take more than a few months to get something fixed with physio. I know you said it doesnt work for you but you really do need to give it a proper chance and even though the boot failed for me and just pressed in the wrong spots etc you may need to just give it a chance to remove the boot and see what you can do in physio without it. You cant just hope that it will be totally gone so you can finally get surgery. Surgery is the last thing you want as then pretty much if you re injure yourself etc cause you have had surgery thats the only way to fix things up mostly again cause your ankle has been physically altered for life and hence its not easy to fix up once that happens.

So yes i know you say all this stuff isn't working out for you but don't do something dumb just so you get surgery! I know what its like to be young and want to get on with your life but you first physically really need to put in the effort to see if it can be fixed with conservative measures which it really sounds like you haven't been putting in the effort. And probably your surgeon and mum etc can see that and hence thats why you are being refused surgery too? Have you considered that at all? As pretty much cause i have been trying physio etc all these years surgery was the only thing my orthopedic could offer other than the boot which didn't work!

And yet even though i had failed physio he wanted me to just try the boot as one last measure to see if it worked and surgery could be avoided if not i was to go back at the end of this month to discuss an operation and what he wanted to do with my operation.

I do know how you feel and i am sympathetic but please before you get your mind set on surgery really give things a chance to work and put an effort into things as surgery is the last thing you want to have to have as it will totally alter everything.

I personally wish i didnt have to have surgery but i am so ready for it so i can get on with my life but thats after 3 and a half years of conservatively trying to fix it up without surgery. Unfortunately for me it got to the point that wasn't to be the case. But with others you can get lucky and conservative measures will work. that's the case most of the time. Its rare that you have to go onto surgery. And maybe if people could see you really were putting in the effort to try these things and see if it does work then maybe they might take what you are saying more to heart and believe you too.

Trust me i know what you are going through but i am just being honest with you and saying my thoughts and trying to help you out.

Best of luck with it all and hope it works out for you

Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
(female)

Sigh. Thanks guys. I had my mum read this, and she (although reluctantly) decided to make another appointment with a different doctor, and while it's not a podiatrist, it's some kind of ortho... First surgeon said that there was nothing to fix, but he never showed us ANY results... we were never showed any films of anything, not once...

She's making the appointment tomorrow before she goes to work. Sigh. I'll keep you updated, I guess.

And the reason I stopped PT was because I did the amount of sessions that the surgeon said to do. The reason I was so peeved about it was because he said, just by looking at it, that there was no way that PT was going to help me, if much at all. The bones are totally shifted. I was told that the pain and instability is just the nerves in my foot... Just urked...

Thanks guys...

Closed Thread