It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Post Subtalar Fusion Revision Recovery

So sorry for my absence lately. I've been a tad out of my sorts. Recovery is going pretty well. My pain is virtually non-existent. I took a pain pill tonight because every other joint in my body was hurting from compensating. I haven't really been taking them much at all for over a week.

I am on my second cast and about to get my third tomorrow. Last weekend I had a nasty feeling in my cast. It was sticky and was really irritating me in spots. Turned out that I had some significant bleeding post op and the blood soaked bandages were starting to harden up inside the cast causing irritation. I thought I saw blood coming through the bottom of my cast which alarmed me. Well I am going to tell you my "DUH" moment. In the hospital when they put my cast on, they laid my leg back down on a dark blue disposable pillow case. When I lifted my leg from the pillow, tons of the pillow case stuck to the bottom of my cast. My surgeon wanted to see me one week post op so I went in. My cast was pretty tight so he wanted to bi-valve it. He just rewrapped it in white. Well I immediately put my cast cover back over it because we were going back out in the cold. Late Saturday night I took the cover off for a bit and noticed a big darkness coming through the cast. I freaked out and thought it was bleeding because of the nastiness that I was feeling on the inside. I called the on call doc Sunday morning. He instructed me to call on Monday morning and come into the office and called me in an antibiotic prescription. Well I got to the doctor Monday morning and upon sitting down under bright lights I realized what a dip I was. The darkness that I saw coming through the cast was not blood. It was the blue fuzz from that pillow cast. I felt like such a tard.

Since I was having so much irritation inside he wanted to go ahead and get it off to make sure there wasn't anything going on. The dressings were very blood soaked. It was so gross. He was glad he took it off and got that cleaned up but he wasn't comfortable taking the stitches out early so I have to go back tomorrow and have the stitches removed and get a new cast. Right now I have an orange cast because I wanted something different but I think I will go back to hot pink tomorrow. I'm such a pink/purple girl.

I hope you're all doing well.
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
Re: Post Subtalar Fusion Revision Recovery

It's so glad to hear from you, and that everything is going pretty well. I've been thinking about you and how your recovery has been going since your absence.
I almost did an orange cast when I had to have mine changed for wetness, but I had 3 pink casts after my first green one. Pink is such a wonderful color!
Good luck at your appointment tomorrow!
Erin
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Thanks so much! I've only had pink and purple casts up till this orange one. I was hoping it wouldve been a little more neon orange. It's really kind of ugly. I fortunately have a cheetah print cast cover that goes over it. How is your recovery going Erin? Are you walking?
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

That's a bummer on the orange. When I was getting one of my casts a girl had a striped orange and green. They both were super neon. So I was a little hesitant!
I saw the OS Thursday and I got the cast off and a boot on, and I'm walking with help from crutches. If I'm in the kitchen or if it's a small area, I won't use them much, but I have to be super careful because I get shooting tendon pain. Dr said I could still be on crutches for up to 3 weeks and he wouldn't be surprised. But I start PT tomorrow so I'm really excited!
Erin
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

So glad you're walking and doing well! Keep it up!
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
Erie0385 (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Star6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB User

Glad to hear all is going well Kimberly! Hope it keeps going great for you and all keeps healing Best of luck and best wishes

Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Glad to hear you are doing well, Kimberly. Your cast story cracked me up. I had crusty blood issues, too, and had my surgical cast replaced after 1 week -- ick.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I laugh about it now but when I realized at the doctor I was like NOO!!!! haha I am good for those kind of DUH! moments. I am heading out to the doc in a little bit for stitch removal and a new cast again. Figures, yesterday morning it was 60 degrees here in Ohio and now I go to take the dog out and the ground is snow covered. Just woke my boyfriend up to clear the sidewalks for me. He works second shift so was still in bed. I tossed some salt out on them but it wasn't quite doing it. I prefer to not fall on my face. How are you doing Pescav and Star? I need to get back into the swing on here. It really helped me before and I think I need to get back in touch with you all. I was starting to get into a funk of depression.
~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Kimberly, I got my first cast today, and all they had was white. You would not have been happy, I think. ;-) You'd think I would've scored purple from a Baltimore hospital days before the superbowl.

I cant believe the number of incisions I have. Got xrays, everything looks great, but I think I was in denial about how extensive my surgery was.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKanner View Post
I laugh about it now but when I realized at the doctor I was like NOO!!!! haha I am good for those kind of DUH! moments. I am heading out to the doc in a little bit for stitch removal and a new cast again. Figures, yesterday morning it was 60 degrees here in Ohio and now I go to take the dog out and the ground is snow covered. Just woke my boyfriend up to clear the sidewalks for me. He works second shift so was still in bed. I tossed some salt out on them but it wasn't quite doing it. I prefer to not fall on my face. How are you doing Pescav and Star? I need to get back into the swing on here. It really helped me before and I think I need to get back in touch with you all. I was starting to get into a funk of depression.
~Kimberly
Hey Kimberly, things not the greatest here, Still cooped up and waiting till my next ortho appointment at the end of February to find out what surgical procedures he wants to do then there is also the wait till i get surgery but yes. Being driven bonkas cooped up inside with my foot up resting most days etc and still get sharp pains and a constantly collapsing ankle with every step i take when i walk on it but otherwise things are going well i guess.

Have a lot of free time to fill in with no job etc too. So normally sleep half the day to fill in time. But yes otherwise things are good at times though i do get quite down in the dumps about it all but then i just think of the future and how great it will be to have my ankle all fixed up

Wow certain change in temperature with the snow fortunately all i have to deal with here is rain thats it lol i don't know how i would cope with my ankle in the snow would be very awkward! Damn with the funk of depression too anytime you need to chat we are here and know what its like.

Hope all keeps going well for you though after your surgery and it all works out. Best wishes

Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well my appointment went really well today. I got my stitches out. The incisions were in great condition and none needed butterflies. No pain from getting them out really. Only one had a slight sting to it. They put another cast on. This one was hot pink. Pescav most hospitals only carry white but the offices carry the colors. Best news of all today is that my joint is already fusing. He was very pleased with how things are progressing. I found out for sure today that my PT will be free. They are going to cover everything since I was injured there. Hope you're on the mend Pescav. Star the hardest part is the wait. I hope you get some answers soon!
Take it easy!
~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The following user gives a hug of support to LadyKanner:
hida (02-09-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Kimberly and yes the hardest thing is the wait but am glad to hear you and pescav are doing well congrats with teh bone already fusing and best of luck with it all

Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
I'm so glad they are stepping up and taking care of you. It is the right thing to do... Just don't let any students near you! Lol...

Glad your appointment is went well. Awesome about the fusion!!! I love that you had pink. My favorite color - the hotter the better.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKanner View Post
So sorry for my absence lately. I've been a tad out of my sorts. Recovery is going pretty well. My pain is virtually non-existent. I took a pain pill tonight because every other joint in my body was hurting from compensating. I haven't really been taking them much at all for over a week.

I am on my second cast and about to get my third tomorrow. Last weekend I had a nasty feeling in my cast. It was sticky and was really irritating me in spots. Turned out that I had some significant bleeding post op and the blood soaked bandages were starting to harden up inside the cast causing irritation. I thought I saw blood coming through the bottom of my cast which alarmed me. Well I am going to tell you my "DUH" moment. In the hospital when they put my cast on, they laid my leg back down on a dark blue disposable pillow case. When I lifted my leg from the pillow, tons of the pillow case stuck to the bottom of my cast. My surgeon wanted to see me one week post op so I went in. My cast was pretty tight so he wanted to bi-valve it. He just rewrapped it in white. Well I immediately put my cast cover back over it because we were going back out in the cold. Late Saturday night I took the cover off for a bit and noticed a big darkness coming through the cast. I freaked out and thought it was bleeding because of the nastiness that I was feeling on the inside. I called the on call doc Sunday morning. He instructed me to call on Monday morning and come into the office and called me in an antibiotic prescription. Well I got to the doctor Monday morning and upon sitting down under bright lights I realized what a dip I was. The darkness that I saw coming through the cast was not blood. It was the blue fuzz from that pillow cast. I felt like such a tard.

Since I was having so much irritation inside he wanted to go ahead and get it off to make sure there wasn't anything going on. The dressings were very blood soaked. It was so gross. He was glad he took it off and got that cleaned up but he wasn't comfortable taking the stitches out early so I have to go back tomorrow and have the stitches removed and get a new cast. Right now I have an orange cast because I wanted something different but I think I will go back to hot pink tomorrow. I'm such a pink/purple girl.

I hope you're all doing well.
~Kimberly
Hi LK
Glad to hear you are not experiencing much pain. Sounds like aside from the bleeding you are doing well. What exactly did they have to do this time to correct the previous problem?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

This time they did hardware removal and took out everything from the last surgery. They had to make fresh surfaces on the joint and clean out all the old bone growth. They put a dbx putty in the joint that contained live bone cells mixed with my own blood then screwed the joint together with two screws each coming in from opposite directions. Shouldn't come loose now.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread