It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
(female)

Onetreehill HB UserOnetreehill HB User
upcoming bunion surgery

I would welcome your advice and opinions on this surgery, especially regarding the recovery period. My employer will allow six weeks sick leave, which is actually my annual leave, for the surgery and to recover. Will this be enough? How soon can I go back to university classes? My daughter is getting married six months from now: will I be able to wear a decent shoe by then? Not looking forward to this, but foot now so painful, I can hardly weight bear. With good wishes to you brave people who took the step and made it happen. I wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery, and lots of casseroles from your neighbours.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
(female)

tla921 HB Usertla921 HB Usertla921 HB Usertla921 HB User
Re: upcoming bunion surgery

I think you should be able to go back to work after 6 weeks. Who knows, you may be fine after 4 weeks. Follow your surgeons post-op instructions exactly. You didn't mention which procedure you'll be having but it sounds like most people are in a walking boot around 4-6 weeks unless they have other issues as well. My mom had a bunion and 4 hammertoes fixed and was non-weight bearing for 5 weeks. I had both feet done at once and after the first couple of days I didn't use crutches and only had post-op shoes to deal with. I was in tennis shoes after 3 weeks.It will depend on how well you heal. You should certainly be in decent shoes at 6 months, flats if nothing else.
My experience was nowhere near as bad as I expected it, and I'm very glad that I had it done.

The Following User Says Thank You to tla921 For This Useful Post:
Onetreehill (02-05-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User

It totally depends on what type of bunion surgery you are having. If it's mimimal incision surgery, then yes, you will be fine in 6 wks.

If it's more invasive such as a Lapidus, which is what I had on both feet, then you will still have pain and swelling at 6 wks, and if lucky will just be able to start bearing some weight.

Talk to your OS and ask lots of questions. In my case, bone fusion did not happen until 6 wks.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #4
(female)

Thanks so much, Nicole. This will be a Lapidus, 90 mins to 2 hours in theatre, non weight bearing for two weeks and touch weight bearing for four. If I proceed as planned, I would have to be in university nine days after surgery, and looking at my schedule, there's just too much going on, so will probably postpone it until end of this year. Your advice much appreciated. Be well.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
(female)

mjt64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetreehill View Post
Thanks so much, Nicole. This will be a Lapidus, 90 mins to 2 hours in theatre, non weight bearing for two weeks and touch weight bearing for four. If I proceed as planned, I would have to be in university nine days after surgery, and looking at my schedule, there's just too much going on, so will probably postpone it until end of this year. Your advice much appreciated. Be well.
I had the lapidus done in May of 2012...had a non union and still couldn't walk comfortably at 8 months post op. I had a second lapidus surgery at 8 months and am still non weight bearing. It's a very long recovery.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
(female)

Hello mjt64, I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We go into these things with the best of intentions, but sometimes the result is out of our hands. Your second surgery would have been January 2013, still very recent. Let's hope the bone fuses properly this time. It must be very frustrating, being laid up for so long, having your life on hold. Nothing lasts for ever. This, too, shall pass.

Having agonised over my own situation, I have decided to go ahead and have the surgery on the 26th Feb. So I wish you well for the rest of your convalescence, and look forward to further news of your progress. All the best.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-22-2013 at 06:08 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website

The Following User Says Thank You to Onetreehill For This Useful Post:
mjt64 (02-22-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
(female)

Smile Re: upcoming bunion surgery

Hello again, mjt64, Quescott shared her post-op recovery from the same procedure you had. You may find it interesting.
Cheers.

mjt64 (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
(female)

mjt64 HB User

Quote:
Hello again, mjt64, Quescott shared her post-op recovery from the same procedure you had. You may find it interesting.
Cheers.
Where can I find it?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
(female)

hello mdj64, look at "how to manage after foot surgery". Cheers.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
(female)

kara683 HB User
Smile Re: upcoming bunion surgery

Hello,

I was due to have Bunion surgery on Feb 15th, It was pushd back to March 15th. I am very anxious not knowing what that "aftermath" will be like. If you would kindy keep posted after your surgery, i'd appreciate it. It seems most of the Bunion surgery post i come across are old. Will you be getting your bone cut with screws inserted? Do you have a mild, moderate or sevear bunion? Thanks!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

I hope you make it back in less than 6 weeks.

If not, you may be covered for 13 weeks by FMLA.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
(female)

Hello Dexatech, I live in New Zealand. We have 5 days sick leave per annum, so quite common for workers to have to use their annual leave for surgery or prolonged illness. I've had this bunion from age 13, am 58 now, so really looking forward to having a normal foot and being able to wear decent shoes. Cheers.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
(female)

Hello Karahood, I am now three days post-op, and can honestly say it wasn't that bad. My bunion was moderately severe, with the second toe affected and general metatarsal discomfort radiating to the outer ankle. The anaesthetist gave me a mild sedative first, then three nerve blocks into the left leg, then the general anaesthetic. There was some shivering and shaking when I woke up from the anaesthetic drugs, but a bit of pethidine soon settled that. They showed me the post-op xrays in theatre and I cried with joy. All the bones are now straight and true, just like a normal foot should be. I have a K-wire into my second toe to straighten it, which looks a bit scary, but most of the wire is inside the foot. The big toe had a wedge resection cut out to realign, and the outer long foot bone from the ankle to the great toe has been screwed to stabilise it in a straight line. The nerve block wore off after 14 hours, and it was rough for a while. But lots of morphine helped, and now I'm on just panadol and codeine phosphate tabs (three days later!) and it is bearable. It is important to rest up and keep that leg elevated to reduce the swelling and potential complications. Also to do the leg and foot exercises to keep the muscles strong and prevent foot drop.

My wonderful surgeon did a great job, and the before and after foot xrays will be framed to celebrate the difference! Something else he told me was to avoid all anti-inflammatory drugs, as they do interfere with bone healing, and could result in non-union of the great toe. But then he also stated it's no big deal if non-union occurs, as normal walking is possible and will / should happen. I asked this question especially with mjt64 in mind, (hello mjt64!), as I thought it might be helpful.

Do also have a look at Quescott's recovery diary under "How to manage after foot surgery", as she has some very useful information. What can I say? This procedure challenged me to step outside my comfort zone. It's not over yet and there may well be some up and down days, but I'm so glad I had it done. I had a good time at the private hospital, and met some neat people. I think the hardest part for me will be the enforced rest, as am used to being busy.

So do hope this will help reassure you. There is life after bunion surgery, and it's going to be good. All the best, and do keep in touch.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Onetreehill
kara683 (02-28-2013), mjt64 (03-04-2013)
kara683 (02-28-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
(female)

Hello everyone, getting around after bunion surgery has its challenges. No good for me on crutches. Have fallen once already, luckily with no damage to foot. Am using a ride on zimmer frame around the house, and have rented a wheelchair for my two days at varsity this week. the physio insisted I use hand crutches as she reckoned the under arm ones can cause nerve palsies. But I can manage short distances on the underarm type and can't do more than a few hops on the hand ones. So it's kind of logical which kind to go for, It's just another two weeks, then the pop comes off, and it's touch weight bearing on crutches. I have noticed different people have been given different instructions depending on what kind of work was done to their foot, and maybe also surgeon's preferences. I had to go up and down the stairs yesterday on my bottom, to visit the general practitioner for a toe dressing change. She also covered the Keller wire sticking out of the 2nd toe, as not attractive. My wonderful family very supportive and helpful. Quescott amazing to go through this on her own. Cheers.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
(female)

mjt64 HB User

Quote:
Hello Karahood, I am now three days post-op, and can honestly say it wasn't that bad. My bunion was moderately severe, with the second toe affected and general metatarsal discomfort radiating to the outer ankle. The anaesthetist gave me a mild sedative first, then three nerve blocks into the left leg, then the general anaesthetic. There was some shivering and shaking when I woke up from the anaesthetic drugs, but a bit of pethidine soon settled that. They showed me the post-op xrays in theatre and I cried with joy. All the bones are now straight and true, just like a normal foot should be. I have a K-wire into my second toe to straighten it, which looks a bit scary, but most of the wire is inside the foot. The big toe had a wedge resection cut out to realign, and the outer long foot bone from the ankle to the great toe has been screwed to stabilise it in a straight line. The nerve block wore off after 14 hours, and it was rough for a while. But lots of morphine helped, and now I'm on just panadol and codeine phosphate tabs (three days later!) and it is bearable. It is important to rest up and keep that leg elevated to reduce the swelling and potential complications. Also to do the leg and foot exercises to keep the muscles strong and prevent foot drop.

My wonderful surgeon did a great job, and the before and after foot xrays will be framed to celebrate the difference! Something else he told me was to avoid all anti-inflammatory drugs, as they do interfere with bone healing, and could result in non-union of the great toe. But then he also stated it's no big deal if non-union occurs, as normal walking is possible and will / should happen. I asked this question especially with mjt64 in mind, (hello mjt64!), as I thought it might be helpful.

Do also have a look at Quescott's recovery diary under "How to manage after foot surgery", as she has some very useful information. What can I say? This procedure challenged me to step outside my comfort zone. It's not over yet and there may well be some up and down days, but I'm so glad I had it done. I had a good time at the private hospital, and met some neat people. I think the hardest part for me will be the enforced rest, as am used to being busy.

So do hope this will help reassure you. There is life after bunion surgery, and it's going to be good. All the best, and do keep in touch.

You know, neither of my surgeons ever mentioned to me that I shouldn't take anti-inflammatory drugs. My first surgeon actually prescribed them to me. Could partially explain the non-union. I go back to doctor tomorrow for my 8 week check up. I'm still totally NWB. It's been tough but hopefully the end is in sight. I'm glad your surgery went well!

The following user gives a hug of support to mjt64:
Onetreehill (03-04-2013)
Closed Thread