It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
First PT visit

I'm a little over 7 weeks post-op from a brostrom evans procedure with debridement and a removal of an impingement, and I had my first PT session since surgery today.
It was pretty basic, he took some measurements and was impressed with my ROM so far. He was shocked that I've only been out of the cast for a week! I felt like it wasn't that great, I can definitely see an improvement, but I have to realize that this is a new normal for me. I have always had hypermobile joints and after the bad sprain, it went from loose to really really loose. It's even hard because I want to compare it to my "good" foot, but can't because the ROM on that is beyond normal too. It's just crazy hard for me to accept the tightness!
So once we did that, he had me start on gentle ROM stretches. Writing the alphebet, going in circles clockwise and counterclockwise, inverson,eversion motions, gas pedal motion, and a towel stretch bringing my foot up to me. I also have a sheet to do these at home twice a week. Then we did the towel scrunches and some gentle motion with the wobble board while I was sitting, heel raises and toe raises while sitting. I felt great after my visit! Of course I then went shopping, and over did it, but I still don't have a ton of pain. So I'm happy!
And in my Dr's haste last week, he was filling out my PT script and was talking about sending me for an ultrasound, and forgot to mark how many times I'm supposed to go, so they called, and I'm in for at least 6 weeks at 3 times a week.
I am one happy girl!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

The Following User Says Thank You to Erie0385 For This Useful Post:
1jack (02-01-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User
Re: First PT visit

Yay! I started PT at 7 weeks post op last week as well and felt like it was such a huge accomplishment! My surgery was different than yours, but pretty much the same exercises. I've been doing them at home as much as I can and can already tell a difference with my ROM. I feel like in the two weeks since I got my cast off I've made huge progress - hopefully it will be the same for you!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
That is great news!! I'm so happy for you. Do take it easy.. Getting those muscles, tendons, and ligaments moving again is serious business... Yay for PT!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

I hate that wobble board!! I have such trouble getting any kind of smooth motion on it. Sounds like it went well! I am back to PT after 2 weeks off....I got sick this week so I feel behind...again. You are lucky to have good rom...even though you feelit is tight. I keep moving that foot when not inthe boot, but I find the boot limiting my walking because I am not flexing the foot enough in the boot to take a normal step.
Keep up the good work!! I am sure we will be walking soon!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

Well done to all of you!! You are all doing so well......I love the wobble board, but I only started to use it at 14wks post op - so my ankle had more ROM at that stage

Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Congratulations! I can't wait to get to this stage...
Left PTT Repair, FDL Tendon Transfer, Calcaneal Osteotomy, 1st Metatarsal Fusion, Spring Lig. Rep., Mod. McBride, Akin Osteotomy, Iliac Crest, Achilles Lengthening, Bone Marrow Asp., FHL/FDL Tenodesis

Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

That's awesome!! I'm HIGHLY impressed with all you accomplished on your first day of PT and only 1 wk out of the cast! WOW! A lot of those things they didn't do with me until down the road a bit and I have hypermobile joints too! I totally understand your feelings and frustrations with that! But still how awesome! My doctor wouldn't let me do the BAPS board (wobble board) after surgery because of my hypermobility. I wasn't allowed to do inversion/eversion exercises either because he said my ROM would come back on its own enough without help! However since I reinjured it and he sent me back to PT, he didn't put any restrictions and they have me on the BAPS board and I hate that thing! It's hard and I'm always really sore after, but it is helping! Anyway, so happy for you!!

Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Sounds like PT is going well for everyone....congrats! My first PT Wed and I can't wait. I just got out of the boot and into a brace on Tues. I've weaned myself off the crutches and am walking unassisted. Slow, def not a normal gait. Ankle hurts, very tight, but I can feel it loosening each day. Def don't think I'm ready for the wobble board! Am also hypermobile. I'm sure that condition has probably played into many of our ankle issues. Look forward to hearing about everyone's progress!

Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

It seems like you all had surgery yesterday and now you are walking and going to PT -- congratulations!! I am still in the stage where time seems to be grinding along slooooowly, but I hope to join your ranks soon. Heal well!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

Thanks for all the replies. It's so exciting to see how far all of us have come in just a short amount of time (though it feels like it took a lifetime to get here!) I was shocked too when the PT brought out the wobble board. I was amazed how I could move it around (with no weight of course).

I had my interview Friday, that took a lot out of me, thankfully though the building is on one floor and parking wasn't too terrible. I was impressed with everyone there, and should find out Monday if I got the job or not. 2 positions open and 8 candidates, so I'm not holding my breath, but boy would it be nice!

Saturday I started with some cramping in my calf again (same cramping that caused my OS to have me checked for a blood clot). The cramp has permenately taken up residence. It's making walking unbearable. Doing my stretching helps, but once I stop it comes back full force. It's even making the surgery side really painful and the only reason I know I have swelling is from the deep indentation I have from my sock. Has anyone experienced this? What have you done? I'm definitely mentioning it to my PT tomorrow morning, but it's driving me crazy!
Erin

Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Glad your interview went so well. Good luck,,,I hope you get one of those positions. I've been very fortunate not to have the cramps you describe. Definitely talk to your PT..Does icing help?

Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Thanks, I really hope I do. If not, it's okay. I'll keep trying. I just know that's where I would love to work eventually!
You ARE so lucky you haven't had these cramps. They are horrible! I've not been wearing my boot much because it intensifies the cramps! It makes it hurt a lot more, and I can feel the muscle tighten more. The only thing that seems to help at all is either a warm bath (I can't live in the tub though, darn!) or a low setting on the heating pad. Also if i stretch, like if your laying in bed, the cramp tightens so much it brings tears to my eyes! I hope my PT has a suggestion.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

I saw my PT today. He didn't say much about why my calf was doing that. He felt around until I said ow! And then focused on deeply massaging that spot. He then grabbed my foot and pulled it toward me and held it that way for a long time. He turned my foot a bit for another stretch but it sent immediate pain to my surgery site so he quit. It felt a lot better after he did that. Though 4 hours later I'm feeling that nagging pain returning.
He also added leg raises while im on my back, sides and stomach to build up my hamstrings. He asked if I ice at home, which I honestly only do when it hurts really bad. So he's going to contact the OS since he didn't specify to do that. PT wants to end with ice and stim. My OS wasn't very specific!
Erin

Last edited by Erie0385; 02-04-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

ERIN--Interesting PT session you had! A LOT of my manual therapy in PT has been concentrated on my calf and soleus and Achilles. Getting them loosened up so I can pull my foot back towards me more. Well, there were a lot of knots in my calf, soleus and peroneal muscles and so they have me lie on my stomach first and they use the stick and roll it/knead it out like dough. Feels really good for the most part unless one of the knots is particularly tight. Then they do deep tissue massage with their hands that includes my calf, soleus and achilles. Then they flip me over and push me into dorsiflexion and then they massage my foot and stretch my toes. They also end with ice and stim. Maybe suggest they massage/roll your calf every session? Hang in there!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

It would be amazing if they could work in some massage with every session. I can't believe how good I felt just after that little bit. I'm already dreading the pain coming back. It keeps getting worse, but it's still not quite as bad as it originally was. I'll definitely mention it on Wednesday when I go back to PT.
I wonder if it has to do with walking and the boot? I've been trying to pay attention to my heel to toe walking, I seem to be doing it correctly, but after some time walking that cramping pain comes back! Then I start walking funny.
On the plus side I seem to be leaving the crutches sitting more when I get up. If I'm in my room dressing, I just prop them up and hobble around. If I'm in the kitchen I do the same. I still feel like I need the extra support walking across the house.

Closed Thread