It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Best time for surgery?

Hi, wow, what a hand to be dealt with as a parent! And I have mixed emotions about saying this but I made my mom take me to the dr 3 times (i have all my medical records from my childhood) times because of aching legs. I remember them aching soooo bad at night. He told her they were just growing pains.

I now have fibromyalgia, makes sense, huh? There have been several folks who've said that too. Hopefully his wont be bad.

Glad you guys have been able to make final plans than in itself takes a big weight off.

And the school is working with you too, great! Best of luck please keep us informed, cathy

Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #32
Veteran
(female)

Star6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB User

Thats what i lived with for three and a hlaf years people telling me its all in my head and making me feel stupid and cry all the time. Till i found my recent ortho at least but i dreaded those words and got so upset when i heard them as it really did put doubts in my head.

Hope all goes well with your daughter and best of luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #33
(female)

jocelyn7035 HB User

Hi happy2try, I am also new here. I am really very sorry to know the pathetic situation of your daughter. I suppose it will take more than 1 month for her to recover and also it all depends upon the strength and ability of a person how they deal with the circumstances around them. This surgery would no doubt make her to miss her schools as said by Pescav for 6 months.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #34
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

I just had surgery to reconstruct my ankle and foot because of flat foot. It turns out that I have an accessory navicular bone in both feet which eventually led to my arches breaking down. My foot was all mis aligned. Surgery was recommended 2 yrs ago, I got 2nd opinion then and decided to try orthotics. They helped and continue to help my right foot, but the left just got worse. I was born with the extra bones. I remember as a kid spraining my ankles all the time...my mom said I had weak ankles. I couldn't do sports much because I was always spraining ankles...I thought I was just a klutz. But my arches weren't fallen yet, so I didn't have that pain yet. But I have had pain all my adult life with my feet, leading to knee pain and eventually 5 knee surgeries. So maybe it is best to have this done while your daughter is young and recover quickly.

The procedures I had done are at the bottom of my post. Very invasive. I had it done 13 days ago and had my first post op visit yesterday. All is healing well, and I got my temp splint removed, saw my incisions and got put in a cast. I am non weight bearing for 8 wks. I get the cast off in 5wks and get a walking boot and can start bearing weight gradually.

I will admit that my first week was hellish. HAVE to keep up with the pain meds and keep ahead of the pain. But after about 5 days or so, I didn't need my pain meds any longer. Every once in a while, I get twinges and take some Aleve. But it is soooo important to elevate and rest and ice. Even with my cast on, I am always sitting and elevating. My doctor told me that I can drive anytime I feel up to it now. And I can return to work March 4..that is a few days shy of 4 wks out of work. And he wants me to do half days the first week, to ease into it.

In my opinion, if your daughter does well after her surgery, I don't see why she couldn't get back to school within 3-4 wks. I would say that the wheelchair would be her best bet for getting around until she can start bearing weight just because of all the books they carry, etc. I am renting a knee scooter and it's great to have for right after surgery. But I will eventually have to switch to crutches. Once I get to start bearing weight, I have to have the assistance of crutches because they don't want you bearing full weight right away. I, too, feel that it would be asking a lot for her to do both foot surgeries in the same year. But she's so young, she may be up for it..depending on how her first one goes. If I was told I should to my other foot by the end of this year, I'd say forget it! But then, I'm 51 ys old and that makes a huge difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It sounds like the school will work well with you for the time she has to be off if it's other than summer time. By the way, my daughter also has the extra bones in both her arches...she had the surgery too, not quite as involved as mine but had to have PTT done. She was 24 and in the AF at the time, She is really gald she did the surgery because now she is back to her running and other athletics she loved to do. She convinced me to do my surgery.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, I can't remember if anyone said toile sure the first foot is healed really well before having the 2nd foot done because its going be bearing all. Her weight at times and she'll be hopping on on it too

Cathysa

Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #36
(female)

Happy2try HB User
Smile Re: Best time for surgery?

I realized I never updated.

My daughter had her first foot done april 2013. Subtalar joint implant and lengthening on her Achilles. Recovery was very hard on her and she had lots of pain and swelling. It didn't help that she had to go back to school the next week for state testing.

Her 2nd foot was done the 2nd week of June. Same procedure but the implant was one size smaller. This recovery went very well, but she was out of school so she could truly rest.

She tried exercising again when she was released from the dr in August. But was still having pain. Most of this was cause by her feet having to use muscles, ligaments, etc... differently since she was no longer had flat feet.

But October rolled around and one foot was still causing pain so back to the dr. The pain was in the first surgical foot and she had 2 fractured metatarsals. So into a boot for 6 weeks. She is now in a tennis shoe and has until the end of this month before she can go back to activity. She is chomping at the bit to start running again. She now has no pain!

No regrets with this surgery. Hoping the implants last a lifetime for her.

The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2try For This Useful Post:
PesCav (01-22-2014)
Closed Thread