It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User
Re: PTTD surgery just finished

On the ice issue, I watch cable news in the morning and I see regular lawyer ads for people who have gotten frostbite, etc, from icing machines, so going out on a limb, I think the issue maybe be legal vs medical. My surgeon also didn't recommend ice, but I used it anyway, especially once I started wearing a shoe and PT. The obvious recommendation is what your OS says.

Last edited by PesCav; 04-15-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
(female)

suziedarling HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesher View Post
hi Suzie, I used Dr. Deland at HSS, and am very pleased... no at 18 weeks, and in a boot, but transitioning into a brace and sneakers. It is a long recovery - the first 6 weeks are hard, but you can do it. The pain was minimal, as I stayed in the hospital 4-5 days, with constant care and nerve blocks, and meds. By the time I came home, I was much better, and prepared to handle the discomfort. The worst part was staying in bed with my foot way up in the air above my heart so the swelling would subside. That was 2 weeks, then the splint was replaced with a hard cast, and I scooted around the house w/ a knee scooter, rented. Now I own one to get to the bathroom at night, as I still do not actually step on the bare foot yet. I took megadoses of stool softeners from the start, and no constipation, as I too have had this problem. It took me 4 years to make this decision, and 3 other dr. visits to local guys, but I know Dr. D. is great, and I made the right decision. All the others at HSS are wonderful, I hear, and the hospital care is super. I traveled 3.5 hours to get to NYC from CT, so maybe from LI you are closer. It is worth it. Good luck.
P
Thanks for the reply. I am surprised that at 18 weeks you still aren't able to put your bare foot on the floor. Wow, this is some recovery. I actually saw Dr D at HSS, and he was the one who told me my foot is severly deformed, and when I asked about what activities I would be able to do afterwards (skiing, biking, etc, which i love), he said i had a good shot. That's when i left the office in tears, thinking my life as I know it was over. I am now in the process of getting other opinions, trying to determine how horrific my foot actually is, and whether there are less invasive procedures to offer me. Just one question about the meds, after you got back from the hospital, how long did you need to take the narcotic meds, and when were you able to switch to advil or tylenol? Also, if you had to spend so much time with your foot elevated, how on earth can you go to the bathroom to have a bm? I just can't imagine sitting with my leg elevated trying to poop! Sorry to be asking such questions, but I am really concerned about how to manage the recovery from this. I hope you continue to do well, and thanks for your input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #18
(male)

barefootdreams HB User

I'll reply since I started this - hard to believe - 10 weeks ago.
On meds, everyone sounds different. I was on them for ~2 weeks consistently then trailed off to 1-2 a day, then by end of 4 weeks only 1 every few days (definitely take one before seeing Doc at the post-op appointments as he/she will move it a lot).
On bathroom, you can have your foot down for short periods (resting on ground, no weight). It swells up fast when down first month but its actually good for blood flow and avoiding clots to remain a bit active and have it down every few hours.

Closed Thread

Tags
calcaneal osteotomy, pttd