It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
(male)

barefootdreams HB User
PTTD surgery just finished

Just recovering from 5+ hrs of surgery for PTTD including a bunch of related items -calcaneal osteotomy, FDL xfer, etc. Getting out of hospital today.
The most painful part so far is the hip where they took bone.
One question: are other Post-PTTDers here using an ice machine over splint or cast? Recommended? If so what brand?

Old 02-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User
Re: PTTD surgery just finished

I used the ice machine, I was so happy to have it, I was able to ice for hours at a time. I was amazed how well it worked even over the splint. Not sure what brand mine was, I rented it through my doctor's office.

Congrats on having the surgery over with!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

I had surgery 8 1/2 weeks ago going on nine and the doctor did not recommend an ice machine. After reading information on this board I even asked about it and they said no. I had my surgery done in New York at HSS. Hope you're doing better good luck with the ice. Frankly I bet it feels good.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

I'm exactly 7 weeks post op and had a bone graft too. It is still sore.... but much better then after surgery. Keep applying ice packs.
I go to the same surgeon as Pesher who does not approve of any ice/cooling machines on the splint/cast. Also be sure not to get it wet. One little trick that I will admit to...on several cold days I would put my foot out the door for a minute to "chill." I always made sure it was dry outside. It worked nicely.
Left PTT Repair, FDL Tendon Transfer, Calcaneal Osteotomy, 1st Metatarsal Fusion, Spring Lig. Rep., Mod. McBride, Akin Osteotomy, Iliac Crest, Achilles Lengthening, Bone Marrow Asp., FHL/FDL Tenodesis

Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Good luck with your appointment. I bet you're going to get a boot. Here's a tip..... I did not do it but when they took off my cast my leg was so flaky that I would have liked to take a wet washcloth to the leg part to Wash off some of the flakes. Instead when I got home I took a really great shower. And be sure to leave on the sock that they give you under the boot so you will wear it to sleep for a few nights to prevent the flaking from all over your sheets. I think a wet washcloth in a baggie in your pocketbook will work really well. And have a list of questions for the doctor . Good luck with the appointment and let us all know. At week nine I
I am beginning to stand on 2 feet with 30 to 40 pounds of pressure. My next appointment is March 6. Good luck you will be very happy to get your cast off.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pesher For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
(female)

Good luck with your appointment. I bet you're going to get a boot. Here's a tip..... I did not do it but when they took off my cast my leg was so flaky that I would have liked to take a wet washcloth to the leg part to Wash off some of the flakes. Instead when I got home I took a really great shower. And be sure to leave on the sock that they give you under the boot so you will wear it to sleep for a few nights to prevent the flaking from all over your sheets. I think a wet washcloth in a baggie in your pocketbook will work really well. And have a list of questions for the doctor . Good luck with the appointment and let us all know. At week nine I
I am beginning to stand on 2 feet with 30 to 40 pounds of pressure. My next appointment is March 6. Good luck you will be very happy to get your cast off.

I would have liked some cold ice on my foot certainly at the beginning too. So if your doctor recommends just go for it. Good luck

Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
(male)

barefootdreams HB User

My dr does not recommend either. Same, HSS. But damn it is tempting. I'm 3.5 days post op and really only tingling in foot. Pain only in hip. Not sure if this lack of pain is the block somehow still active (I don't have a catheter) or just good news or maybe nerve damage. I guess we'll see!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
(female)

At 3 1/2 days post op I bet the meds are still working. Take it easy because as they wear off you're going to need to take some pills. I also had discomfort and pain where the stitches were done in my hip. So put some ice on that. When I came home from the hospital from HSS I felt great. But I did have throbbing Within the beginning of that next week. I am now almost 9 weeks post op and the only thing that hurts is my little pinky. I'd like them to take and cut that pinky off. Anyway barefoot take it easy. Keep us posted as you recover. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
My doc gave me an ice machine - I had the IceMan for my first and the Breg for my second. They are wonderful. They help manage your swelling. He wrapped it inside of my splint but over many layers.

Of course you have to go with your doc's recommendations but I don't understand at all why he would t recommend it. It doesn't get ice cold and really relieves pain caused by swelling.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

I used ice packs for a few weeks because my husband could not get my iceman macine working....I got it work ing....he had not filled it enough. The worries with the iceman is tbat you will leave it on too long & mayget frostbite. But i used it & liked it because there was no leaking. Keeping it on for a bit at a time & removing periodically helps to use it safely.
I bought mine used on ebay.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
(female)

suziedarling HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootdreams View Post
My dr does not recommend either. Same, HSS. But damn it is tempting. I'm 3.5 days post op and really only tingling in foot. Pain only in hip. Not sure if this lack of pain is the block somehow still active (I don't have a catheter) or just good news or maybe nerve damage. I guess we'll see!
Hi, I was also advised by a doc at HSS to have the flat foot reconstruction surgery and I am terrified. I was reading that some doctors recommend an ice machine and yours at HSS didn't. Can you tell me his name? I was just wondering. I know that HSS is supposed to be the best, but it sounds like a really horrible recovery and I am not sure whether I can manage it. I have a very bad time with narcotic pain meds, mostly because of constipation. I was wondering how long you needed to be on the pain meds, and at what point you were able to switch to advil, or tylenol. By now you are probably far along post op, I hope you are doing great! Please write back, I really would love to hear from you. Thanks

Old 04-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Hi there
I used cryo cuff by aircast, still use it now when I get in from work when I elevate and ice. I am 12 weeks post op, the cuff went over my cast/splint and now just my sock.

All the different painkillers we take post op, have to mean high fibre and lts of fruit/ fruit juice or else you risk impactation, which can be very nasty.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Dr. D, head of Foot and Ankle. It is a really long recovery. (12 months). I'm almost 4 months and no regrets.
Left PTT Repair, FDL Tendon Transfer, Calcaneal Osteotomy, 1st Metatarsal Fusion, Spring Lig. Rep., Mod. McBride, Akin Osteotomy, Iliac Crest, Achilles Lengthening, Bone Marrow Asp., FHL/FDL Tenodesis

Old 04-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
(female)

hi Suzie, I used Dr. Deland at HSS, and am very pleased... no at 18 weeks, and in a boot, but transitioning into a brace and sneakers. It is a long recovery - the first 6 weeks are hard, but you can do it. The pain was minimal, as I stayed in the hospital 4-5 days, with constant care and nerve blocks, and meds. By the time I came home, I was much better, and prepared to handle the discomfort. The worst part was staying in bed with my foot way up in the air above my heart so the swelling would subside. That was 2 weeks, then the splint was replaced with a hard cast, and I scooted around the house w/ a knee scooter, rented. Now I own one to get to the bathroom at night, as I still do not actually step on the bare foot yet. I took megadoses of stool softeners from the start, and no constipation, as I too have had this problem. It took me 4 years to make this decision, and 3 other dr. visits to local guys, but I know Dr. D. is great, and I made the right decision. All the others at HSS are wonderful, I hear, and the hospital care is super. I traveled 3.5 hours to get to NYC from CT, so maybe from LI you are closer. It is worth it. Good luck.
P

Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
(female)

New Beginning HB UserNew Beginning HB User

Hello,

I was given one by my doctor also. She used the iceman and put it inside the surgical splint and and then I used it over the cast. I can continue to use it even now that I am in my boot. She used different brands, but the same idea 15 and 16 years ago with my other surgeries. I think it helps a lot.

I had a friend's son who had a different ankle procedure and was given ice packs to use after surgery. He was in horrible pain the first night into the second day, so I had her use my ice machine. They were so thankful, because the swelling finely came down and the throbbing and pain went away. Once they got it under control, he was good to go. He used it over his surgurical splint. After hearing that story, I became an even bigger believer in the ice machine.

The iceman I have actually has a temp guage on it that you can adjust if it feels too cold and has a setting to show you where to keep it. I hope this helps.

Closed Thread

Tags
calcaneal osteotomy, pttd