It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

allykay HB Userallykay HB Userallykay HB User
Scabbing on surgical scar

8.5 weeks post-op for posterior tibial tenosynovectomy (for those who haven't read my previous posts). I have a 3ish inch scar, and it's up in my ankle, not at all into my foot. The lowest part of the scar starts right about the medial malleolous. I have a tiny bit of scabbing right at the very lowest part of the scar. My doctor commented on it last time ("You've got a little bit of scabbing there, that's okay though.") I have noticed recently that if I press RIGHT in front of that scab (towards the front of my ankle) it is a ton more painful than anywhere else. Like, maybe a 1 if I press anywhere else on my ankle, even directly on the scar, and a sharp 4 if I press right there. The rest of my scar looks great, not at all scabbed, just this one portion. I'm just super interested as to why this one spot hurts so much when I press on it.

Does anyone know what scabbing of a surgical scar means? I'm gonna ask my PT tonight, but I'm just curious if anyone's surgeon has said anything about parts of a scar that scab vs parts of a scar that don't scab.

Just curious- super interesting to me. Ohhhh the surgery recovery life

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User
Re: Scabbing on surgical scar

I had part of my scar not fully close on time with the other parts. It was very odd and to this day its the darker part of my scar. I had the same thing with pain in the one spot. I would figure the scabbing is just a slower healing spot. If you dr wasnt worried about it then it should be okay I freaked out when those stripes covering my scar fell off and part of it wasnt fully closed. I called the dr and they just told me to band-aid it.

How is recovering going otherwise?

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread