It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Scar Tissue after 2nd Ankle Reconstruction

Hey guys! So I'm 11 months out from reconstruction #2 and was doing really well until last Sept when I resprained my ankle. I've been in PT since December and have really progressed gaining more ROM than I did in PT post-op. Last week I ran into unexpected pain over my ATFL and was really confused about it since I had done nothing to hurt it. It was constant pain that didnt increase with weight bearing or decrease with rest. I told my PT about it and he examined my ankle and thinks it's a build up of scar tissue that's almost cyst like. He is now going to be massaging that area to help break it up. This is fairly painful. When I left Thurs I was sore. Later that night, I went to dinner and movie with a friend. During dinner it became more and more painful and I found myself rubbing my foot and toes (because they started feeling fat). I kept my foot up during the movie suspecting some swelling. When I got home and took my socks off, my ankle was pretty swollen. More swollen than its been since I resprained it and before then since after surgery. It was pretty sore the next day and is still painful but not as bad.

My question is has this happened to anyone else where you've had painful scar tissue that needed breaking up and if so were you successful and were able to avoid surgery? I'm so scared I'm going to need a clean out since this is surgery #2 and now with the reinjury...

Second question: I'm also worried that the sprain hasn't fully healed and this may be pain from that and not scar tissue? I'm hypermobile and my doctor said this might not be the last time I had issues. So that's in the back of mind. So what do you think?

Thanks!

Last edited by Hollywood48; 02-06-2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User
Re: Scar Tissue after 2nd Ankle Reconstruction

I have had scar tissue that had to be massaged out...some doesn't seem to want to budge...but I am only at 3.5 months & pwb...right now it swells a bit & burns. If you have lots of pain &swelling I wo uld stay off it for awhile, get the swelling down & see if pain goes away. Sure hope you didn't have anymore damage!!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Thanks! Me too! Today in PT he said that he wonders if the break up of scar tissue caused the swelling and increase in pain. Today he didn't feel the cyst like junk he felt on Thurs. But I am still very tender over my ATFL. So he's going to continue light massage and examine it every time and wants me to let him know if I have another huge swelling incident. I just really hope this is scar tissue and that it will clear out on its own. I don't want to have surgery again.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
(female)

punkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB User

Hi Hollywood,

Was it scar tissue, ie did that painful massage help and subsequent swelling and discomfort go away? I am wondering if scar tissue could be the cause of my pain. I had PTTD surgery and pain, and the therapist did some very hard massage today, which has caused lots of pain (worse pain) and more swelling. Trying to understand the cause.....

Closed Thread