It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
(male)

bostonquad HB User
Question Sports after PTTD surgery?

Hi all,

Has anyone played a sport requiring a strong PT tendon, and had PTTD surgery? If so, what was your outcome?

I'm a skater who's considering surgery for my partially torn tendon. I used to skate artistically using sharp edges, which demands a lot from the PT tendon. Now I can no longer do an outside edge with my bad foot.

I've talked with one member here whose son, a skater, had this surgery (thank you indaslot). However, his situation is a bit different from mine, and besides, I'd like to hear from as many people as possible.

Thanks for any input!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User
Re: Sports after PTTD surgery?

I use to be a skater too. I've had two surgries and in 3 weeks I will have an FDL transfer. My doctor said it was unlikey I could ever return to do what I did. I use to jump a lot and my right foot was my landing foot. He said it could damage it all over again. He did say after a year after my fdl I might be able to skate around with my family if that's all I do but, he said he would tell me that when the time comes. I haven't really skated I was 15, I'm going to be 20 soon just because it was too painful.

What kind of surgery are you having? Most people who have a tendon transfer can't run again..I'm not sure about skating. I just know I could never jump again if I ever decide to go back. I'm too nervous that a wrong fall even just skating around could ruin my foot. So I doubt I will ever be on the ice again.

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

The Following User Says Thank You to ohitscourtney For This Useful Post:
bostonquad (02-22-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

What causes a surgery to fail? As you know I am nine weeks post op with PTT D. Just hoping nothing will fail.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

I'm not sure, I think its different for everyone.

My OS says some of the things he has seen when the tendon fails is overuse, returning to actives that require to much use of the tendon.

Mine was a tricky one. As you know I will have had 3rd surgries once feb 28th hits but, he thinks it was a mixture of reason as to why mine failed. One was not doing enough work the 2nd time(as my first surgery wasnt really about my PTT) and the tendon didnt have enough support and I got into an accident after my first surgery. He had a choice for the 2nd one too do the FDL but, he said he thought with bone marrow and removing of scar tissue that it would heal. As it turns out that tendon is too overstretched and cant function on its own anymore. So this time he said were going with the FDL transfer and as long as I dont get into accidents or try to do too much. This will fix the issue.

Thats all I can think of and what Ive been told. You can ask your OS when you see him next to see if he has more answers. Hope that helps

2/28/13 FDL transfer

The Following User Says Thank You to ohitscourtney For This Useful Post:
Pesher (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Hi Bostonquad,
I am so sorry you are going through this. I haven't skated in years....the thought of it makes my ankles cry!!! It is hard to iimagine being healed & strong enough to ever do it again. But I suppose there are those who would work hard & try it. I think of all of the activities I used to do but have not been able to do the past few years. I hope to do some of them again. Definately ask your OS...
Good luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to tenderfoot:
bostonquad (02-22-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to tenderfoot For This Useful Post:
bostonquad (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
(male)

bostonquad HB User

Thanks ohitscourtney,

My proposed surgery would be FDL transfer and calcaneal osteotomy (no bone graft). Also no column or achilles lengthening.

My surgeon and I have decided I should try a custom brace made to see if that alleviates the need for surgery. I'm in no pain now as long as I don't walk much, so I'm hoping the brace will allow me to get active again.

From your message you would have just had your surgery. I hope the healing process is going well! Good luck - I hope it helps you.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
(male)

bostonquad HB User

Thanks ohitscourtney,

My proposed surgery would be FDL transfer and calcaneal osteotomy (no bone graft). Also no column or achilles lengthening.

My surgeon and I have decided I should try a custom brace made to see if that alleviates the need for surgery. I'm in no pain now as long as I don't walk much, so I'm hoping the brace will allow me to get active again.

From your message you would have just had your surgery. I hope the healing process is going well! Good luck - I hope it helps you.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonquad View Post
Thanks ohitscourtney,

Nope, no surgery yet. I have it on the 28th but thanks. I'm glad the brace is working for you

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
(female)

allykay HB Userallykay HB Userallykay HB User

My doc is pretty convinced I will be able to run (he says about 6 more months; I'm 2.5 months out). I'm not as optimistic, but I HOPE so. I had a tenosynovectomy. If you are really into the idea of athletic activity, might be worth talking to another physician. One doc wanted to do a tendon transfer, but I wanted to run too badly (and it didn't make sense for other reasons). Again, who knows if I will actually be able to run, but I like that it isn't off the table yet!

Closed Thread