It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
(female)

mck18 HB User
Confused after Pre-Op Appointment

Hey all,

I had my pre op appointment today for ankle surgery that I will be having on the 21st of this month. I didn't necessarily leave with specific questions just over all confusion. I will be having a peroneal retinaculum repair and arthroscopy for a talar dome fracture.

To begin with, the surgeon said there was no findings of any peroneal tendon tears on the MRI, however I've read that they commonly do not show up and I guess I'm a little worried that if it is torn, it won't be fixed. I have all of the symptoms of a tear. Also, he said that if he cannot fix the talar dome fracture arthroscopically, he would break my fibula, remove the bottom part, fix the talus, and then reattach my fibula with a plate and screws. He said he was pretty sure he wouldn't have to but not completely sure. After, I will be in a boot but NWB for 4-6 weeks. Also, my stitches will be removed at 3 weeks. With that, he said I could go back to school on Monday, like 4 days after. I am just so worried that none of this sounds right.

To me, a lot of this just seems so different from everything I've ever read, and believe me, I do a lot of reading. I am only 17 and definitely find it hard to voice my opinions. I did a few times today but just kind of got shut down. Any advice would be great. I am also considering asking for a hard cast because I am the type that would leave the boot off simply because I am able to remove it...would that be a valid request? Gosh I'm just so confused. Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Confused after Pre-Op Appointment

Hi! You have a lot of valid concerns! How you are feeling is very normal. As far as peroneal tendon tears not showing up on MRI, that is common...along with ligament tears and other things. If you have a known retinaculum tear, I'm sure your surgeon will be on the lookout for tendon tears and repair them if need be. However, I would start making a list of all the questions you have and either call his office and make an appt to discuss these questions with him or have then ready on day of surgery. My surgeon came in right before they starting getting me ready for surgery to talk about the procedure again, write his initials on the correct ankle and ask if I,had any questions and I did and he answered them. If your doctor doesn't answer the questions or take the time to, I wouldn't have surgery until he does. As far as boot and NWB for 4-6 wks, that's very normal. Most of us are/were 6 wks NWB. I was supposed to be 3 wks in a hard cast and 3 in a boot. At 3 wks in I asked for another hard cast for several reasons (lighter, not so bulky, cooler, etc). My doctor was so surprised and said he'd never been asked that before, but that they prefer it because you can't take if off and it keeps the ankle still easier and longer. So absolutely ask! I bet they give it to you especially if you confess you're the type to take it off! As far as going back to school, I think 4 days later will be tough. It will be hard for your foot to not be elevated almost 24 hours/day. Getting around will be hard, you need to ice and take pain meds, etc. Will he only sign a note for 4 days?

Hang in there and ask all the questions you need to! That's what we're all here for!!

Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Keep in mind that there are no universal rules for certain surgeries. Most are done the same way but every surgeon has his own little twists, preferences, etc. Just about everyone who has posted here about cheilectomies (turf toe repair) has had to ice their foot after surgery. I've had one on each foot and both surgeons told me in no uncertain terms to NOT ice. So, I wouldn't let the differences worry me.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
(female)

mck18 HB User

Thank you both very much! I am definitely nervous but you're answers were very helpful. I don't have another appointment until surgery so I guess I'll be waiting another 2 weeks to see them again. I really hope that they will agree to a hard cast. What has been a little confusing is that they already gave me the boot and told us to bring it to the surgery center the day of surgery...but then the assistant lady said something about the dressing after surgery - so why would I need to bring the boot with me? Also, my post op appointment is 6 days after surgery, the 27th and then I get my stitches out another 2 weeks after that. Would they put me in a hard cast if I asked even though I still have stitches it? I'm not sure how that works and whatnot.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Hmm. I would make a list of question and call the office. I myself have a list of question for my OS and the people doing my preop. I'm having another visit with my OS on the 20th and then I'm going upstairs for my preop. It will be the first time I do it at the hospital, I've had my last two preops with my normal doctor. For you preop did they do any testing like labs?

I haven't had your surgery but for this one and my last one he wasn't sure of all the work that could be done until he got inside my foot. So for your doctor to say he might or might not is normal. You can't see everything until its in the open and I'm sure if he comes across something that needs fixing he will do it

I'm 19 and just like you, I do a ton of reading. I've read research papers, I've been all over this borad and google. Haha I like to be informed...you can never know too much.

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
(female)

mck18 HB User

Ohitscourtney, I did not have any pre op labs done and the OS never said anything about it. I have commonly heard from others that they did have labs done at a pre op closer to the surgery date, but I do not and I'm not sure why. Then again I've never had surgery of any kind before so I am way new to this whole process!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

I would think he thought you would miss 4 days if done arthroscopicly....if he has to break those bones you probably will have more pain & need more time. I would definately tell him your preference for the cast. The only trouble is it makes more work for them removing & recasting at checkups. I came home with a split cast because the swelling was so bad and put in a boot at first checkup. Get a fashionable one!!! I was so jealous when I saw that pretty pink& purple one on here!!! I had the ugly black boot.... good luck!!!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yes you can still have a hard cast with stitches in. My first post-op appt was 6 days after surgery like yours will be. I went home from the hospital in a cast that was split and wrapped with an ace wrap for swelling. At the first post-op, they took that off and put on a hard cast for 2 weeks and then they took that one off and removed my sutures. That is when I could've had the boot, but I asked for another cast. I had a navy one the first time and the second time I had a purple cast with pink cuffs at the top near my knee and the bottom at my toes. Then I put a pink sticker on the top part of my foot that was my monogram for accent! Gotta make it cute and fun if you have to go through it! Everyone loved it including all the girls in my OS' office! They sent the top half home with me when they took that one off!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It's standard to have a boot or surgical shoe with dressings. There is even a dressing under the cast. The cast or boot simply protect the surgical site and keep your foot stationary. You really won't be able to get around without one so I wouldn't worry about it. Since it will be a boot, you'll be able to take it off to sleep (if they say so) and certainly to bathe. You'll need a cast cover though also for that so you don't get the dressing wet. I've used the same on for all 3 of my foot surgies and have loaned it out to 2 people. You can get one at most drug stores.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

D
Quote:
Originally Posted by mck18 View Post
Ohitscourtney, I did not have any pre op labs done and the OS never said anything about it. I have commonly heard from others that they did have labs done at a pre op closer to the surgery date, but I do not and I'm not sure why. Then again I've never had surgery of any kind before so I am way new to this whole process!
Really? Hm you lucky girl, I've had them with both my surgery. My first one was at 17 too. I'm not a fan of needles so it wasn't fun. I would call and ask about that too. My papers say they have to have my preop blood work 3 days before my surgery or they won't do it. Did you get a folder or packet from the office about the surgery?

I've had my boot when I still had my stiches and those stripes that cover them on. I've never had a cast. I've gone from the splint to the boot, never had a cast. Always an ugly boot. I'm the same way though. I tend to take it off a lot cause he said when I'm resting it can be off...well I rest a lot. I always wore it going out though. I should ask my OS about that...maybe a cast would be good for me too.

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
(female)

mck18 HB User

Oops, got some posting difficulties going on!

Last edited by mck18; 02-11-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Posting problems

Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
(female)

mck18 HB User

Ohitscourtney, I did not receive a packet. They basically told us to be there an hour and a half before surgery time, no food or drinks after midnight, and to bring the boot with us...I guess I'll just have to go with the flow. 9 days and counting!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
(female)

IrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB User

I'm having suregery on March 5th. No pre op appointments or labs for me either. The doctors surgery scheduler told me that they do not do labs for patients under 50, but I will be getting a pregnancy test and stuff at the hospital the day of surgery. She also said I will be receiving something in the mail from them about the surgery soon. I also wont get my surgery time until the day before, the hospital will call me. That kind of bums me out, I hope I get an early time!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

You are the frst person who has posted about the pregnancy test the morning of surgery -- I had one and I am 48, it was very unexpected!! And fortunately I wasn't pregnant, LOL

Last edited by PesCav; 02-12-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: wait -- I am 48!! The mind is the first thing to go...

Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAD View Post
I'm having suregery on March 5th. No pre op appointments or labs for me either. The doctors surgery scheduler told me that they do not do labs for patients under 50, but I will be getting a pregnancy test and stuff at the hospital the day of surgery. She also said I will be receiving something in the mail from them about the surgery soon. I also wont get my surgery time until the day before, the hospital will call me. That kind of bums me out, I hope I get an early time!
I'm only 19...why do they make me do labs? I'm asking when I see my dr on the 20th. I hate needles. I do get a pregnancy test durind preop and before surgery. Yeah I don't get my time till the day before which is different from my first two where I knew what time I was going in...I hope I get a morning too

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Closed Thread