It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User
Re: Friday night pity party... byob... bring your own boot

Hi Suzie, I am into my 10th week of post op and I'm a little depressed to think that at 3 1/2 months you still need the knee Walker. I was hoping to get rid of it since it is rented. At some point soon I could've bought two of them, for this rental price. I was wondering if any of you out there have kept the knee Walker or bought one and used it even after three , four, five months?
I am using the cam boot all day except when I am not standing or walking. And I'm using a compression sock. But the doctor told me to sleep with nothing on my foot. I'm wondering if the next time I go to him he will tell me to put an ace bandage on? I'm waiting for the doctor to call to talk to me about my little pinky toe... I don't see him for another couple of weeks.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Morning Everyone,
I'm 9 weeks tomorrow from ankle reconstruction and sent the knee scooter back the end of week 7. As soon as the dr said I could be FWB, I got rid of it. I was afraid it would be too easy to rely on it too much if it was still here. It's been painful and hard, but I've been pushing to get back to a healthy foot. Nowhere close yet, but I think I'm doing incredibly well to be only 9'weeks away from a total ankle reconstruction. I think we should all be very proud of ourselves for doing so well and for being so strong!! Think positive and don't dwell on what we can't do,,,concentrate on how much more you can do each day!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Hi butterfly, I'm so impressed that after nine weeks you are using the walker, And sent the knee walker. It seems so brave of you. But you're absolutely right I am relying on it a lot. I use it all day long. What about going out? Are you in the boot and the regular walker? I'm still afraid to let my knee walker go. I do get around with the regular walker and putting pressure in the boot probably three times a day. I am starting PT on Wednesday. So maybe they will force me to be a better patient. My incisions are beginning to heal and the scabs are dropping off. I do have some range of motion in my toes and my ankle. But getting rid of the knee walker makes me shudder to think about. Thanks for your information. It is definitely food for thought.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
(female)

suziequz HB User

Someone in my church had bought a knee walker and was no longer using it, and has loaned it to me. I don't use it very much anymore. I am a cake decorator and sometimes I am standing for a couple of hours straight, so it is then that I use the knee walker. I also take it to the big box stores like Sam's club, cause I can't walk that place in crutches! I understand the depression, I have told people I have never been through anything like this.
If I go with nothing on my foot at night, it just swells too much. They did an awful lot to my heel and it is still way bigger than the other.
Keep your chin up! I find it's better for me to think of how far I have come rather than how far I have to go!
Take Care

The Following User Says Thank You to suziequz For This Useful Post:
Pesher (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Hi Pesh! No, I don't have a walker, at all,,,nothing but a brace and my tennis shoes! I can use a crutch, if needed, for extra support, if needed, but so far, if we go out and foot starts to hurt too much, I just find somewhere to sit, take a break, then get up and go. Of course I'm really not going anywhere that requires a ton of walking!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #21
(female)

Wow.... 9 weeks like me. Impressive. Dr told me to crank up from 30 lbs pressure in boot to fwb week 12. Am week 10, and working on it with walker, no crutches. Slow, for sure. I start PT Wednesday . If I can get out...lots of snow, ice. Dangerous roads.
Thanks, butterfly.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

I wish there was a "LIKE" button on here...I LIKE all of the posts.... I took the advice of the board and actually bought my knee scooter before I even had a surgery date! I loaned it to a friend who had bunion surgery weeks before my surgery. I am keeping it in case I need it again or anyone else I can loan it to. It was so fun using it in the mall, that I may never walk there again! :-D. I have another fund raiser next month & I should be fwb by then but I may use it for that event. It is easier in the kitchen with it....can at least sort of carry stuff.

I have been in the boot for going out especially because of the ice & snow. I have it off a lot around the house so I am constantly working on rom when sitting. I think I have been at this recovery longer than most of you & many of you seem to be ahead of me. I gotta get caught up!

I know eventually things will be better....I just gotta keep working.

The following user gives a hug of support to tenderfoot:
lauralei51 (02-12-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
(female)

Tenderfoot, please remind when you had the surgery. We will all progress. Some slower, some faster. I can't imagine really walking. It's been almost 10 weeks post op, and maybe it'll always be like this. I can hardly remember walking. I am blue. So it's good to hear from you all. Thanks....Pesher

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Pesher
ginger62 (02-11-2013), PesCav (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #24
(female)

FYI.... I put a gel sole in the boot. Great. Also, dr said I could stop Coumadin. YAY!!
PT tomorrow ... Out in the world.
Thanks all. BTW.... Evenups are really good.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
(female)

FYI.... I put a gel sole in the boot. Great. Also, dr said I could stop Coumadin. YAY!!
PT tomorrow ... Out in the world.
Thanks all. BTW.... Evenups are really good. How is DANCER?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #26
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

Tenderfoot, I'm new to this particular community of people with foot problems. However, I am not new to many years worth of aches and pains and 5 knee surgeries that are probably indirect results of the foot and ankle conditions I have. I have been through lots of PT for the knees. One thing I have learned....don't compare your own recovery time to someone else's because everyone is different and has different lifestyles that get in the way.

Try not to let it get to you that you might be behind someone else's progress. Just listen to what your body is telling you and ease up when you need to. Maybe volunteer less for things that cause you to be on your feet too long. They will understand...if they don't, then screw em. That would be mean of them. lol

I immediately thought about how I would deal with uncooperative family members who may not quite understand how difficult this process is. I would have each member take an entire 24 hr period on your crutches. You could help them...but only as much as they help you. lol Maybe they would learn how difficult it is for you.

My home situation is that at 51yrs old, it's me, my husband and 2 dogs and a cat. My kids are grown and on their own with their own children. I feel guilty for having to ask my husband for so much right now. He is so sweet about it. So I try really hard to be efficient about my needs so that I don't have to keep asking him to help me. I'm home alone during the day till he gets home at 2:00. I try really hard, as you or someone else here said, to pick my battles. I cannot complain if he doesn't do the laundry the way I do, or doesn't cook (AT ALL) etc. In fact, I am soooo craving a decent meal with meat, rice and veggies that I am going to try to find a recipe for a quick throw together crock pot meal and try to do that tomorrow. I can always use my rolling computer chair to get around. lol I wouldn't feel safe doing something like that on my knee walker yet. I am only 6 days post surg, after all. But I need something besides yogurt and campbell's soup!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

I hope you're slowing down a bit and resting more. Take care!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #27
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

Lauralei - I wish I could bring you a meal. I feel bad for you. I made a few meals prior to surgery and froze them plus friends and neighbors have helped with lasagna and other homemade meals. My hubby is not hopeless in the kitchen but he did manage to break the dishwasher!

Don't feel guilty that your husband is waiting on you--how often have you waited on him? Curl up with a good book and the cats and rest.

Diane

Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #28
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Hi Tenderfoot, Pesher and Everyone,
So, in addition to our foot issues, I'm wondering if feeling blue has anything with the time of year we are in (as an added bonus) because I've been pretty blue too! I'm on week 8 and just started putting 30% weight on my foot (booted). I've been doing ROM exercises religiously 3xday as instructed. I know I overdid it yesterday and the day before and paid for it by not sleeping all night due to pain.
I know patience is a virtue.

Yesterday I spent most of the day trying to get a PT appointment which was a nightmare. People are all away for Feb. vacation next week and many couldn't begin until the beginning of March. I did get in with a friend's practice as a special favor....

My foot looks like a beached whale with toes that resemble fat sausages. I finally managed to get the compression sock (2 sizes larger than my normal size) on over my sausage toes (only took me 3 hours) and have been icing on and off too. I have noticed that the swelling has gone down a little however the swelling really affects the ROM exercises I'm doing.

I'm also still filled with scabs in some areas that I have gently cleaned in the shower only to discover suture threads stuck in my scar. One came out but I've got another two that won't budge. Not happy about this.

The exterior of my ankle is so swollen, sensitive and bruised. I can't see it without using a mirror. I believe there may be some black suture threads there as well but not 100% sure and can't reach the area. My heel has some possible suture threads too under the skin.

My foot still hurts. I wish it didn't but it does. When I do the ROM exercises I have to carefully touch areas that don't hurt or I jump out of my skin. What am I going to do at PT on Friday???

One positive....my calf muscle, that had been split in half for some time, has responded to the Achilles Lengthening and now looks like one beautiful (albeit skinny) calf.

Doctor's office has given me instructions that have me walking in a boot (possibly with or without a cane) by my April 2 visit. They weren't pleased with my ROM last week once the cast came off.

Just thought I'd add if I have one more family member or friend ask me, "so are you walking now?" I may scream....

Sign me miserable in Massachusetts,
Dancer
Left PTT Repair, FDL Tendon Transfer, Calcaneal Osteotomy, 1st Metatarsal Fusion, Spring Lig. Rep., Mod. McBride, Akin Osteotomy, Iliac Crest, Achilles Lengthening, Bone Marrow Asp., FHL/FDL Tenodesis

The following user gives a hug of support to exdancer2:
Hachee (02-14-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #29
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User
Cool Re: Friday night pity party... byob... bring your own boot

Dear Miserable in Massachusetts:

You probably feel better now that you were able to vent your frustrations which is great.....this is the place to do it because we understand your situation. My surgery was only done 1/31 and I am already being asked if I am walking on it. No? then you must be going for PT, right? No again. We try to be patient but I find it very difficult to make others understand that recovery takes time, lots of time and lots of work, and it is painful at times.

Meanwhile my husband now won't let me do ANYTHING. Probably just as annoying as the husband who won't help. I'm not even allowed to get my own glass of ice water. If I stand up he wants to know where I am going.

Can't even go to bathroom w/o his inquiry.

Sign me Nutty in New York

Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Dear Nutty in New York,
I've got one of those wonderful husbands too. Wouldn't let me do anything and is the most patient person I know.
I do feel better venting but....am really restless. Really ready to get back to some kind of normal.
Hang in there.
D
Left PTT Repair, FDL Tendon Transfer, Calcaneal Osteotomy, 1st Metatarsal Fusion, Spring Lig. Rep., Mod. McBride, Akin Osteotomy, Iliac Crest, Achilles Lengthening, Bone Marrow Asp., FHL/FDL Tenodesis

Closed Thread