It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #31
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User
Re: Friday night pity party... byob... bring your own boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdancer2 View Post
I do feel better venting but....am really restless. Really ready to get back to some kind of normal.
Exactly. I know exactly what you mean. I think. ;-)

On Monday, I mentioned to my mom that I missed walking and got feedback about some people will never walk blah blah -- like I was soooo lucky -- I was shocked! Its hard not being able to walk! I guess until its you, you can't appreciate how much you miss such simple pleasures like "some kind of normal".

Like you and ddill, I have a great support system (husband and teenage son) but this is getting soooo old!! Plus I have the two dreaded steps to freedom that keep me in my house. This weekend, I WILL figure out how to manage those with crutches so I can go out with friends!!!!

Ahem: Antsy in Annapolis

Last edited by PesCav; 02-13-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #32
(female)

suziequz HB User

Antsy,

I too am antsy! When I told my Dr. I wanted to get this over with, he said ...Suzanne, there are things like this you only so much control over. Be patient!
As far as the two steps....

I know what you mean about walking. I too have a great husband I don't know how I could ever get through this without.
Take Care!
Suz

Last edited by Administrator; 02-13-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #33
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

I am embarrassed to admit that I own crutches, walker and still have my rented wheelchair and scooter. I'm using the crutches much more now that I'm in a boot. Going up and down stairs is something I have not mastered. I find going down stairs much easier than going upstairs and actually either scoot on my behind up the stairs or, if not too many, jump up backwards holding the walker in front of me. Crazy? yes.
(My husband holds the walker for me).

My 21 year old son is coming home this weekend and has informed me he is taking us out - snow or no snow. I haven't been to a restaurant in two months.

Pescav - I've heard the same thing from my mom.
Miserable
Left PTT Repair, FDL Tendon Transfer, Calcaneal Osteotomy, 1st Metatarsal Fusion, Spring Lig. Rep., Mod. McBride, Akin Osteotomy, Iliac Crest, Achilles Lengthening, Bone Marrow Asp., FHL/FDL Tenodesis

Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

The stairs scared the bejesus out of me too. It's much easier when you can put your foot down a little.

My heart is breaking for y'all. Please believe me that you don't have much longer to go. It will be hard and it's going to hurt some for sure, but you're almost there. Just hang in for a few more weeks. It really is worth it. I parked my car the other day and realized that I wasn't sizing up the terrain or distance to the door. You don't realize how automatic stuff like that becomes. Do your exercises faithfully, ice a lot and push yourself when you need to and cut yourselves some slack when you need to. This is a big, hard surgery and recovery. You are all champs for getting this far. Don't give up!
Big hugs!
Ginger

Last edited by Administrator; 02-13-2013 at 06:22 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (02-13-2013), PesCav (02-14-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #35
(female)

suziequz HB User

Ginger,

When was your surgery and what did you have done? Are you walking without a cane or any other assistance....if so for how long?
I am now 6 weeks in the boot, and around the house I can move around with just the boot on, but use crutches outside. My question is what happens when there is no boot?

Thanks a bunch!

Sue

Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #36
(female)

suziequz HB User
Question Re: Friday night pity party... byob... bring your own boot

Ginger,

When was your surgery and what did you have done? Are you walking without a cane or any other assistance....if so for how long?
I am now 6 weeks in the boot, and around the house I can move around with just the boot on, but use crutches outside. My question is what happens when there is no boot?

Thanks a bunch!

Sue

Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #37
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Exdancer2, Sorry you are still so swollen. My swelling went down a lot ...my foot actually looked skinnier than the other foot...until I started weight bearing & working out those leg muscles. I know what you mean about not being able to see that outer ankle. Mine was the same. Those stitches left in can hurt...I would go see your general Dr or PA to have them removed. I had some hard spiky dried blood that felt like a stitch but eventually softened enough after soaking in the tub, it finally came off. All of my scars look very thin now except for the heel osteotomy site. Those burn & drive me crazyat night.

Lauralei....you impress me! I don't have much desire to cook even now! We have eaten frozen pizza probably at least 5 days per week!! Glad your pain is better....keep elevating!! I have thought many times that if husband ever had to be on crutches & had to do what I do, he would be more understanding. Tonight I couldn't stand my furry carpet anymore. It wasn't easy but I managed to vacuum on crutches....picking up stuff was a workout!

I would leave that compression sock on as much as possible...my problem isn't the toes....it is getting over the heel, but it gets better.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #38
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Ok, happy sweets to you all....dill, pescav, DANCER, GINGER, Suzie, laurels I, tenderfoot.... It was a good day yesterday to hear from you all. My emotions are so raw that I cry at commercials. I am so blue I can't believe it. And you're absolutely right.... The question lately is how are you doing getting around pretty well walking? I sound like a broken record... Nope I'm still in A boot, partially weight-bearing and I've got a long haul ahead of me. Those who have not seen the boot, Compare it probably in their minds to something small short something that just covers my ankle. I really can't use the word cast on the telephone because that's not the case. And when I say it's a removable boot, Well that always gets a laugh so you can take it off for sleeping and whenever. I was so depressed yesterday I couldn't stop crying most of the day. I went to my first PT appointment yesterday.. I was very impressed with her and that she knew exactly the surgery that I had. For those of you that are just starting it's important to bring all the paperwork that the doctor has given you on your surgery so she or he can look at it and understand what has been done. She told me that is the most difficult surgery that a foot and ankle doctor can do. She was very warm and fuzzy, And gave me some good pointers. She wants me to stop eventually and soon using the knee scooter.. Pardon the expression.... She says it is a crutch. She wants me to start using the rolling walker more. And I am up to 70 pounds in weight bearing. I have a digital scale that I can see was 70 pounds looks and feels like. But she has a scale that has that arrow that goes up and down and around and it stays on the number so it seems to be much better. But it's an old type scale and I would like to buy one but who knows where? I will send my husband out to Walmart and such to look for one. I think it's a relic. Because I have loose ligaments to start with ( a sydrpme), My range of motion is practically normal already. I do worry about overdoing it. I think the syndrome Contributed to my arch collapse. My latest problem and I wonder if you are having any of this is a small pinky toe that is very very painful. It's always been that way since the surgery but as everything else is healing it is standing out even more. My PT said it could be Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, Not a pretty neurological problem that might not go away. I have emailed the PA at the doctors office about this. They have moved me up one week to see the doctor now February 27. I feel lonely here in Connecticut that nobody is checking in with me. I know my doctor is the world's expert on my foot ankle surgery, but it's the PA who Replies to my questions in very short texts. Do any of you speak to your doctors regularly?
No valentines cards for my husband today, But I know he is a wonderful guy, And I told him so. Nevertheless it I can't get into my kitchen soon and do some cooking I am going to be very unhappy. The drop offs of food from friends and neighbors have all dropped off.... No surprise there I'm almost at 11 weeks. So the grill in the garage is getting used more this winter. Steaks and chops. And yes pizza, And Chinese food. I'm really sorry about your swelling dancer. It should go down. And correct, We all heal differently. And because I am two weeks ahead of you I still can't imagine going on an airplane with a shoe. So it's really good that the doctor gave you very good confidence To get away. I will ask him about the trip to California soon also. But it's not easy to get to Santa Barbara from the Hartford or Boston airport. Lots of changes, And running through airports. And if I used a wheelchair I might not make the flights.
Suzie you are six weeks in the boot and walking around the house without any assistance. That does give me hope and hopefully everybody else too. I've gone on long enough here. I'm alone for the day. Happy Valentine's Day to all. Listening to all of you makes me very happy. Thank you. And thank you for listening to me too.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #39
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Ok, happy sweets to you all....dill, pescav, DANCER, GINGER, Suzie, laurels I, tenderfoot.... It was a good day yesterday to hear from you all. My emotions are so raw that I cry at commercials. I am so blue I can't believe it. And you're absolutely right.... The question lately is how are you doing getting around pretty well walking? I sound like a broken record... Nope I'm still in A boot, partially weight-bearing and I've got a long haul ahead of me. Those who have not seen the boot, Compare it probably in their minds to something small short something that just covers my ankle. I really can't use the word cast on the telephone because that's not the case. And when I say it's a removable boot, Well that always gets a laugh so you can take it off for sleeping and whenever. I was so depressed yesterday I couldn't stop crying most of the day. I went to my first PT appointment yesterday.. I was very impressed with her and that she knew exactly the surgery that I had. For those of you that are just starting it's important to bring all the paperwork that the doctor has given you on your surgery so she or he can look at it and understand what has been done. She told me that is the most difficult surgery that a foot and ankle doctor can do. She was very warm and fuzzy, And gave me some good pointers. She wants me to stop eventually and soon using the knee scooter.. Pardon the expression.... She says it is a crutch. She wants me to start using the rolling walker more. And I am up to 70 pounds in weight bearing. I have a digital scale that I can see was 70 pounds looks and feels like. But she has a scale that has that arrow that goes up and down and around and it stays on the number so it seems to be much better. But it's an old type scale and I would like to buy one but who knows where? I will send my husband out to Walmart and such to look for one. I think it's a relic. Because I have loose ligaments to start with ( a sydrpme), My range of motion is practically normal already. I do worry about overdoing it. I think the syndrome Contributed to my arch collapse. My latest problem and I wonder if you are having any of this is a small pinky toe that is very very painful. It's always been that way since the surgery but as everything else is healing it is standing out even more. My PT said it could be Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, Not a pretty neurological problem that might not go away. I have emailed the PA at the doctors office about this. They have moved me up one week to see the doctor now February 27. I feel lonely here in Connecticut that nobody is checking in with me. I know my doctor is the world's expert on my foot ankle surgery, but it's the PA who Replies to my questions in very short texts. Do any of you speak to your doctors regularly?
No valentines cards for my husband today, But I know he is a wonderful guy, And I told him so. Nevertheless it I can't get into my kitchen soon and do some cooking I am going to be very unhappy. The drop offs of food from friends and neighbors have all dropped off.... No surprise there I'm almost at 11 weeks. So the grill in the garage is getting used more this winter. Steaks and chops. And yes pizza, And Chinese food. I'm really sorry about your swelling dancer. It should go down. And correct, We all heal differently. And because I am two weeks ahead of you I still can't imagine going on an airplane with a shoe. So it's really good that the doctor gave you very good confidence To get away. I will ask him about the trip to California soon also. But it's not easy to get to Santa Barbara from the Hartford or Boston airport. Lots of changes, And running through airports. And if I used a wheelchair I might not make the flights.
Suzie you are six weeks in the boot and walking around the house without any assistance. That does give me hope and hopefully everybody else too. I've gone on long enough here. I'm alone for the day. Happy Valentine's Day to all. Listening to all of you makes me very happy. Thank you. And thank you for listening to me too.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #40
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Sue, my surgery was 9/25/12. I had Achilles lengthening, heel repositioning (calceonal osteotomy, or however you spell it). FDL tendon transfer and spring ligament repair. I think that's it...I can't find my operating notes. I started PWB around Thanksgiving, had a little fall the beginning of December that set me back a couple of weeks, so wasn't really FWB til Xmas. I went into an ankle brace the 2nd week of January and now only wear it for PT or if my foot is particularly sore that day. My doc said once I was walking comfortably for 2 weeks in the boot I could go to the brace. There's a difference between stepping gingerly and walking comfortably. I am on my feet 12 hrs a day for work so I was not going to rush this.
Ginger

Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #41
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

Why is it that until you've had this type of surgery no one understands the length of time to heal and how incapacitated you are? I'm still getting meals delivered but guess it will probably end soon.

I want visitors. I've had one visitor since surgery and I need to talk to someone other than my husband and the cat (although the cat is a very good listener).

Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #42
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Tenderfoot, I'm going to say this again...a BIG THANK YOU for starting this thread. It is so reassuring to know that we aren't alone. I'm actually starting to feel a bit better thanks to you all!

ddill - if you feel up to visitors, try calling one of two friends and inviting them over for tea or lunch. I found that once I reached out, to a couple of close friends, they jumped on the opportunity to visit. The first visit though, right after surgery, was like intense therapy for me. I couldn't stop talking. I was starved for conversation and for people to understand what I've been through. Thankfully, these were very close friends who are doctors but I learned quickly to try to listen more and complain less.

Frozen pizzas....it is what my wonderful husband knows how to make best. I had to beg him to buy healthy, lower calorie versions. I think we broke a family record for eating pizza - 15 days in a row. We also decided to use our grill after the blizzard. It was fun and it felt like something just a little crazy to do. Not sure what the neighbors thought...if they could see over the drifts.

Last night I decided to tackle those pesky 3 threads in my foot leftover from suture removal. I took a very long hot shower making sure my foot got a very thorough soaking. Afterward, with hydrogen peroxide, clean hands and a sterilized tweezers, I managed to gently loosen the skin enough in the scar to remove all 3. There was no blood, they were just embedded in the scar.

I had a really bad night sleeping. I'm just in pain all night. I don't want to take Norco but not sure what to do. Does anyone else have this problem? I actually moan when I turn from side to side. My hip, where the bone graft was harvested from, still hurts too. I'm going to try icing tonight. I'm open to ideas/suggestions.

This morning I noticed that my big toe and the toe next to it definitely were less swollen. Thank heavens for little things! It's given me hope.

Pesher, I have an overactive nerve near my pinky that bothers me quite a bit. It's one of the nerves that had the block. My pinky doesn't hurt though it is definitely the nerve.
Air travel - it's actually easier than you might think. The airports have wheelchairs that you can order so you can use at curbside upon arrival at the airport. They provide you with someone to help you pass through security (a breeze) and then to the gate. Use your walker/crutches/cane to board the flight (or wheelchair if needed). If you are connecting to Santa Barbara through LA/Burbank, order the wheelchair again through the airline you are using. I fly quite a bit to LA (our old home) and internationally. Due to my foot problems the past 2 years, I've actually used wheel chairs on all my international flights. I knew I wouldn't be able to walk too far without having pain. Wheelchair was a breeze through customs not to mention some great stories. In Valencia, Spain I had the most wonderful person helping me. In Paris, I had a male model look-alike assisting me. You'll do fine. Book your trip!

I just booked two trips, the latest one yesterday, and it felt great to do the things I would normally do (plan our trips).

Wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day.
Left PTT Repair, FDL Tendon Transfer, Calcaneal Osteotomy, 1st Metatarsal Fusion, Spring Lig. Rep., Mod. McBride, Akin Osteotomy, Iliac Crest, Achilles Lengthening, Bone Marrow Asp., FHL/FDL Tenodesis

Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #43
(female)

Hi everyone. I didn't want visitors for a long time because I was worried about catching cold or the flu. Now just finishing 10 weeks and nobody's really offering they assume I'm getting out. Which I am. We are going to a movie tomorrow night I called the theater and they do have an area for handicapped. I will take my scooter and sit in one of their seats in the back. But you are correct.... People don't understand how long this takes.

Dancer... I'm glad you got the threads out of your foot. It never even occurred to me that there might be something left over. Anyway how could I see them? And as for pizza we've had our share. And my husband has grilled because we put the barbecue in the garage. What's for dinner? BEEF? Mostly when people brought food it was some sort of chicken or pasta. And I'm sick of that. My husband does a good job but it's hard not to have some control of my kitchen.

My pinky is really bad. All the time. Have some chocolate and happy sweetest day. Let's kiss those guys or significant others and tell them how much we care.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-14-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #44
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

Exdancer, I volunteer at the local library so I called there with an invite to anyone interested. Got one response already. Thx.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #45
(female)

Dancer,

I'm glad that you're swelling is going down. What was the post about the library? I must have missed it. By the way, I have taken a narco here and there. I can't wait to see the doctor about my little pinky. It keeps me up at night too. Just laying a sheet on it is terribly painful.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-14-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Closed Thread