It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User
Re: Questions about FOot/Ankle Surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star6 View Post
Thanks i know i will find out at the time lol though to be honest may be a little uncomfortable particularly the catheter thing! Wouldn't be keen about that at all. But yes good to hear all this stuff so i know kinda what you can expect and the range of things you can expect
Always good to know ahead of time. I like knowing what to expect makes me less stressed.

You should have seen my face when they told me everything off. Here I am at 17, already nervous and being told Icouldnt wear my bra or undies. They were nice about it though and explained it. I felt really exposed in that gown but, everyone was nice and friendly.

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
Veteran
(female)

Star6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohitscourtney View Post
Always good to know ahead of time. I like knowing what to expect makes me less stressed.

You should have seen my face when they told me everything off. Here I am at 17, already nervous and being told Icouldnt wear my bra or undies. They were nice about it though and explained it. I felt really exposed in that gown but, everyone was nice and friendly.
Yes good to know ahead of time and know it will help i just would hope if that happened with the catheter i wouldn't know about it as i really would not be comfortable at all. That actually makes me more nervous than the rest of it lol believe it or not. So i hope i avoid that

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #18
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

With both of my ankle surgeries, part of pre-op is to empty bladder. Probably 8 hrs later before I needed to go again, and was home by then. Anesthesia tends to "put everything" to sleep!
As far as undies, first surgery, I was able to keep undies, if cotton, no bra. Cotton undies because many times with ankle/foot surgeries cauterization is needed and something about nylon undies is danderous. So, ith second surgery, I remembered cotton undies and still couldn't keep. All depends on hospital protocol.
Don't worry,,,no question is too dumb to ask,,,we all have the same ones!!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #19
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

Star...I understand! I'm 27 and this was my 4 th surgery, and it never gets easier! But I do know what to expect and that totally makes things easier. For my other 3 surgeries I couldnt tell you if the put a catheter in, because when they do it your already asleep and most of the time it's out before you wake up. So I couldn't even tell you! I'd almost rather not know. As long as that occurs when I'm asleep I'm fine with it. But during pre op the anethesiologist told me they were doing it and I kind of freaked out a little but. But my doctor was against it, and it was pretty amazing seeing him argue with them!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrfli1 View Post
With both of my ankle surgeries, part of pre-op is to empty bladder. Probably 8 hrs later before I needed to go again, and was home by then. Anesthesia tends to "put everything" to sleep!
As far as undies, first surgery, I was able to keep undies, if cotton, no bra. Cotton undies because many times with ankle/foot surgeries cauterization is needed and something about nylon undies is danderous. So, ith second surgery, I remembered cotton undies and still couldn't keep. All depends on hospital protocol.
Don't worry,,,no question is too dumb to ask,,,we all have the same ones!!
Thanks for your response and good to hear but the thought of the catheter thing makes me way more uncomfortable than anything else even having to be totally undressed i just really wouldn't be comfortable with that at all.

Am wondering if its an acceptable thing to ask the surgeon about or not? Especially since hes a male but i really wouldn't and am not comfortable about that happening at all. The thought of it petrifies me enough that i would be doubting having surgery to fix my ankle up and would be so scared going there in case it happened cause i wouldn't be comfortable with it. I haven't seen much good with after affects about it either with the research i have done i just well yes............

It just makes me more nervous than anything else with the surgery and i wouldn't want anyone looking down there its just not me and i wouldn't be comfortable at all knowing that had happened and apparently you can tell when it has happened.

but yes thanks for the undies response too good to know. thanks for your response

@Erie thanks too and yes i would be freaked out too and glad your surgeon put up the fight for you too and got you out of it lol good on him. But yes guess if i hadnt found out about it if i was knocked out and then woke up and didnt know about it i would be fine but knowing about it it really does freak me out lol.

Thanks for your response

By the way how did your surgeon find out about it can i ask?

Last edited by Star6; 02-10-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

All surgeries are different, al hospitals have their own rules. For my anke surgery I had to remove al clothes but they did not insert catheter during surgery. My thought is that the surgery is not long enough to warrent the need.

But, I will tell you that I have had several surgeries (plus delivering two babies). With a bowel resection, a hysterectemy and a bladder sling I had a catheter each time. It was inserted when I was asleep but regardless, the nurses are so thoughtful, considerate and understanding to all your needs. Don't be embarrased to ask any questions or express your concerns. They have already heard those questions several times prior. Also, keep in mind that these nurses are people too and they could be (or have been) in the same situation with the same concerns.

As far as the male doctor is concerned (I've always had a male doctor) they too are considerate. Even my ob/gyn doc is very nice. Of course, if he wasn't I wouldn't continue to see him.

Put your mind at ease. Your concerns are legit as you have never been in this situation prior (I was in a panic for my first baby, not knowing what to expect). Don't worry about clothing, catheter or anything other than getting your ankle fixed and how much better it will be after recovery. The waiting can be very nerve wracking so concentrate on getting better and assure yourself that everything at hospital will be just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to ddill For This Useful Post:
Star6 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddill View Post
All surgeries are different, al hospitals have their own rules. For my anke surgery I had to remove al clothes but they did not insert catheter during surgery. My thought is that the surgery is not long enough to warrent the need.

But, I will tell you that I have had several surgeries (plus delivering two babies). With a bowel resection, a hysterectemy and a bladder sling I had a catheter each time. It was inserted when I was asleep but regardless, the nurses are so thoughtful, considerate and understanding to all your needs. Don't be embarrased to ask any questions or express your concerns. They have already heard those questions several times prior. Also, keep in mind that these nurses are people too and they could be (or have been) in the same situation with the same concerns.

As far as the male doctor is concerned (I've always had a male doctor) they too are considerate. Even my ob/gyn doc is very nice. Of course, if he wasn't I wouldn't continue to see him.

Put your mind at ease. Your concerns are legit as you have never been in this situation prior (I was in a panic for my first baby, not knowing what to expect). Don't worry about clothing, catheter or anything other than getting your ankle fixed and how much better it will be after recovery. The waiting can be very nerve wracking so concentrate on getting better and assure yourself that everything at hospital will be just fine.
Thanks so much ddill, i guess just waiting to see my orthopedic next then knowing i have a wait till surgery and the fact that my ankle is driving me bonkas is really starting at times to get the better of me lol. Thanks for your answer and i guess that means it is okay to ask him next appointment just to check.

But yes thanks for the concerns being legit and yes it is nerve wracking particularly when i cant sleep properly and i had to start walking on my bung ankle again cause my good foot started getting aches etc in spots being only on it. And its really made my ankle worse again sigh.

Can i ask did you have problems at all with the catheter or not? My guess is its okay to ask if that might be a possibility or not? And yes i really do need to get my ankle fixed as its sooo unstable when every step i take on solid ground causes it to collapse on me. You really did ease my freakout so thanks lol much appreciated.

How are things going for you? Hope all is well

Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

Star-in response to how he found out, or at least from what I remember in my drug induced state...I had been wheeled into the OR after I was pretty out of it, I was laying there and my surgeon was just standing there waiting for the rest of the OR team to finish prepping everything (they also do a "time out" before they stsrt) and the anethesiologist brought it up and the dr said no, it's not needed, surgery should only be around 2 hours. Of course mine almost went to 3 hours but still not too bad.
Also for me, I was so tired of dealing with my ankle not working, and working 40 hours a week straight on my feet, I didn't care at that point what I had to have done. I just wanted my ankle fixed! So for me that's what gets me through all the embarrassing hospital stuff.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie0385 View Post
Star-in response to how he found out, or at least from what I remember in my drug induced state...I had been wheeled into the OR after I was pretty out of it, I was laying there and my surgeon was just standing there waiting for the rest of the OR team to finish prepping everything (they also do a "time out" before they stsrt) and the anethesiologist brought it up and the dr said no, it's not needed, surgery should only be around 2 hours. Of course mine almost went to 3 hours but still not too bad.
Also for me, I was so tired of dealing with my ankle not working, and working 40 hours a week straight on my feet, I didn't care at that point what I had to have done. I just wanted my ankle fixed! So for me that's what gets me through all the embarrassing hospital stuff.
Guess i can see your point there. As i am soooo tired of my ankle. But yes that would just be something i would be nervous about so i figure maybe i should just ask my surgeon about it when i see him next? i dont know if its worth bringing it up or not and i know my mums planning on going too just cause she wants to hear whats being done etc too which is fine but i dont think she will really want to hear me ask that lol so yes i dont know guess we shall see i may ask or not and i may just let her know in advance that i plan to ask.

i guess its just something i am not comfortable with but guess i just have to wait and see and ask if i have the guts too

thanks for your response

Old 02-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
Veteran
(female)

No problem. My mom has actaully gone to every one of my appointments with this current OS. Of course it's about a 45 minute drive out, so it's kind of nice, we usually do a shopping/lunch trip out of it! And it's especially nice because if I forget to ask questions, my mom jumps in and asks them for me. Sometimes I forget about things I have complained about, but she remembers! Moms are amazing like that
I think the best thing would be to write out all the questions you have, no matter how small or large and ask away at your next appointment. That way you are going into surgery with a clear plan. I wasn't nearly as prepared for my last visit before surgery. I had been doing all the conservative things the dr recommended, and that was just another visit of, oh PT didn't work....and even though I knew surgery was a strong possibility, I really didn't think he would discuss it at that visit! So the dr and I first went back and fourth on should I do it now, should I wait....I even discussed wanting to do it before January so my 2012 insurance would pay for it...I did forget to ask a couple questions, but it wasn't a huge deal. Even though my visit wasn't specifically for pre-op, he totally took the time and sat there and answered honestly every question my mom and I threw at him. I knew then, that I had a great surgeon and I trusted him.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #26
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
No problem. My mom has actaully gone to every one of my appointments with this current OS. Of course it's about a 45 minute drive out, so it's kind of nice, we usually do a shopping/lunch trip out of it! And it's especially nice because if I forget to ask questions, my mom jumps in and asks them for me. Sometimes I forget about things I have complained about, but she remembers! Moms are amazing like that
I think the best thing would be to write out all the questions you have, no matter how small or large and ask away at your next appointment. That way you are going into surgery with a clear plan. I wasn't nearly as prepared for my last visit before surgery. I had been doing all the conservative things the dr recommended, and that was just another visit of, oh PT didn't work....and even though I knew surgery was a strong possibility, I really didn't think he would discuss it at that visit! So the dr and I first went back and fourth on should I do it now, should I wait....I even discussed wanting to do it before January so my 2012 insurance would pay for it...I did forget to ask a couple questions, but it wasn't a huge deal. Even though my visit wasn't specifically for pre-op, he totally took the time and sat there and answered honestly every question my mom and I threw at him. I knew then, that I had a great surgeon and I trusted him.
Yes it is nice to have your mum there to ask the questions you forget And yep have already started a question list, Guess at least i have time to prepare for it And think i will ask about that as it would just ease my mind but in the meantime i am not going to worry about it as its on my list and can now be put out of my mind till then

And wow you really need get surprised with the surgery remark i went there and first appointment i got told you need surgery we will get you to try the boot but next appointment if the boot doesnt work and you come back we will discuss surgery and what he wants to do in it.

And the first time i saw mine i felt i could trust him as he was friendly and made me laugh and honestly answered what we asked him. And he knew problems i was getting when i didnt mention or bring it up he just knew! Which i must say i was impressed with.

And yes guess i went into my appointment knowing everything else had not worked out for me and hence the surgery comment was a bit of a surprise but it was a relief too as i knew it would have to happen.

Thanks for your help and response its good to have somewhere i can come to ask questions without judgement

Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #27
Veteran
(female)

This was my second ankle reconstruction, so as soon as I injured my ankle in April, I knew surgery was needed. The first OS I saw thought PT would cure me...I knew better! So it wasn't a surprise to be told I needed it, I just didn't think I would be told at that appointment. I later found out that even though he ran me through conservative treatment, he had a feeling surgery was needed.
And no problem! I love being able to come here and ask for help and help others!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #28
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
This was my second ankle reconstruction, so as soon as I injured my ankle in April, I knew surgery was needed. The first OS I saw thought PT would cure me...I knew better! So it wasn't a surprise to be told I needed it, I just didn't think I would be told at that appointment. I later found out that even though he ran me through conservative treatment, he had a feeling surgery was needed.
And no problem! I love being able to come here and ask for help and help others!
okay wow sorry to hear you got through PT again but guess they like to make sure they cover all the bases before they operate

Guess that was the same with mine he wanted me to try the boot first and come back if it didnt work but he straight away offered surgery after looking at my scans and his physical tests and finding out we had been trying physio all this time too and that it didnt work.

the boot was also cause of my injury i have some nerve damage too and still get swelling and have lost a ton of muscle in my ankle. SO i can understand the boot there too.

Unfortunately it pressed right in my injury and made things worse for me so i had to stop using it.

And yes hopefully one day i may be able to help others with whatever i have to have done lol though right now its me asking the questions and showing some sympathy cause i understand how everyone else is feeling with theres.

How is things going for you right now? hope its going well

Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #29
Veteran
(female)

Im in that point of recovery that sucks! I'm bouncing between 1 and 2 crutches depending on pain. I'm so ready to be off them! PT is going, I see results, but it's slow. I'm stressing even more that I'll be going back to work full time feb 19. It's terrifying knowing that I will be on my feet 40 hours a week when I go back. My boss said she'd try and find me some desk work, but most of the work I do is running around! I figure I'll bring crutches to work in case I need them!
So I'm frustrated that this is a longer recovery than my first ankle reconstruction!

Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #30
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

I'm back again with some more thoughts regarding the catheter. This has nothing to do with the ankle surgery as there wasn't a catheter but several years ago I had surgery for a bowel resection (they actually removed about two feet of my intestine) and after the surgery they removed the catheter (it tickles) and then I was drinking water but couldn't pee. At that point they decided to try a straight catheter (just a tube that allows pee into a cup then they remove the tube). So obviously this was the first time I had a catheter inserted while awake. I too was a little nervous and she washed the area and then I asked when she was going to do it but it was already done and the pee was flowing. So, inserting a catheter is not painful, in fact I wouldn't even call it uncomfortable. Not to worry. I doubt that you will even have one for such a short surgery.

When you talk to the doctor you can ask him lots of questions about pain, drugs, length of surgery, etc. and just kinda let the question of a catheter slip in there and it will be a normal pre-op question. Speaking of pre-op....several on this board told different stories of what they had to do prior to surgery i.e. two showers w/antibacterial soap, no nail polish, no creams, etc. so you can talk about those too.

Personally I found waiting for the surgery to be much more nerve wracking than the actual surgery or hospital routine.

Closed Thread