HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Questions about FOot/Ankle Surgery? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/938775-questions-about-foot-ankle-surgery.html)

Star6 02-09-2013 11:04 PM

Questions about Foot/Ankle Surgery?

Hi, I know i am going to be having surgery after seeing my orthopedic at the end of February but there were a couple of things i have been wondering about that i have kinda been embarassed to ask about.

But anyway the 2 things i want to know are

1.If you need to go to the necessities after surgery are you able to if you are being kept in the hospital?

2. Do you keep undies on during the op or what? As i understand why bras cant be kept on but yes.

I was just curious about these two things even though i am not having surgery just yet as its not scheduled till after my next ortho appointment but these are two things i have really been wondering about due to the fact that this will be my first surgery ever.

lauralei51 02-09-2013 11:24 PM

Re: Questions about FOot/Ankle Surgery?

Star, I would think you get to go the restroom if you stay overnight in the hospital, unless the give you a catheter, in which case you wouldn't need to worry about it until the catheter comes out. I didn't stay in the hospital, mine was done as outpatient surgery (though, as extensive as my surgery was, I think they should keep patients overnight). I got to keep my bra and panties on for my surgery. I didn't have to ask, the nurse just told me if I wanted to keep them on, I could. And I did!

angelee43 02-09-2013 11:25 PM

Hi Star! I think by reading another post you are in Oz?? I'm in Melbourne!!
I had my first surgery ever in October last year. I was at the Epworth in Richmond. I can only tell you about my experience.
1. Necessities! I was in for 2 nights. Surgery was at 10.10am and was back in ward at 12.30pm after waking up in recovery after 12pm (when my surgery finished). Said to the nurse at about 2pm when she asked if I was hungry and would I like to try a sandwich (as I was feeling fine - no nausea and had been given an icy pole in recovery as that is what my surgeon insists that all of his patients have) - I really need to pee as well..........no problem, along came the bedpan! First experience at everything - lol!! Was not allowed out of bed until the next morning when the physio came and showed me how to use crutches.
2. I was allowed to keep my undies on - was soooo happy about that. I think it just depends on the hospital's rules or surgeon's rules - not sure.

Don't worry - this was my first experience at every single thing: surgery, hospital stay, IV, stitches, plaster, crutches, oxycodone, etc.....and I have to admit, I would not be worried or afraid to go back and have it done all over again or anything else, for that matter. It was the best first experience I could have asked for.

Star6 02-09-2013 11:39 PM

Thanks and yes i am in OZ and yes i would hope to at least keep my undies on lol and dont know if i will have to stay overnight or anything yet due to not being able to see the surgeon till 26th of Febuary but these were just things i was wondering about cause they kinda made me more nervous than the rest of it lol as i wouldnt want to be naked under the gown i would rather have on my undies but do you have to ask your surgeon about that or what? just wondering as considering its a male doctor could be embarassing? Or do you just ask at the time when you are going to have surgery?

And lol at the bedpan how exactly does that work? Sounds weird but thanks for the answers good to hear about this stuff as i would be really nervous to not be allowed to leave my undies on i understand certain surgeries you cant but yes.

Thanks

angelee43 02-09-2013 11:54 PM

LOL!! totally understand!! I was wondering too before surgery. I just asked at the hospital as I went to the admission area at 7am - I knew I had morning surgery but wasn't sure if I was first or second - I was second. When they took me to get changed I just asked the nurse then - and she asked what surgery I was having. When I said foot/ankle, she just said, bras come off and undies can stay on :)
Ahhh! The bedpan - don't worry about it now - you may never have to use one. The nurses were all lovely.........they will help you out. I was glad to be up on crutches to the bathroom the next morning so I could at least wash and feel 'cleaner' and get out of the hospital gown and into my own clothes. That was my first bit of bliss - lol!!

Star6 02-10-2013 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=angelee43;5130991]LOL!! totally understand!! I was wondering too before surgery. I just asked at the hospital as I went to the admission area at 7am - I knew I had morning surgery but wasn't sure if I was first or second - I was second. When they took me to get changed I just asked the nurse then - and she asked what surgery I was having. When I said foot/ankle, she just said, bras come off and undies can stay on :)
Ahhh! The bedpan - don't worry about it now - you may never have to use one. The nurses were all lovely.........they will help you out. I was glad to be up on crutches to the bathroom the next morning so I could at least wash and feel 'cleaner' and get out of the hospital gown and into my own clothes. That was my first bit of bliss - lol!![/QUOTE]

Thanks will keep that in mind to ask at the hospital then as yes it would be embarrassing to have to ask your male surgeon lol :) And why did you have to remove the bra can i ask? Out of interest sake?

And okay i wont worry about it lol just guess i shall wait and see what will be happening after seeing my surgeon and then i can ask all the questions i want lol.

Really does help though knowing this stuff!

Thanks

angelee43 02-10-2013 12:18 AM

oh - because they have to stick those round electrode pads on the side and front of your chest to hook up to monitor you whilst you are under anaesthetic - makes it easier for them to stick them onto the right spot.......I found one still stuck on the left side of my chest the next day!

Star6 02-10-2013 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=angelee43;5130996]oh - because they have to stick those round electrode pads on the side and front of your chest to hook up to monitor you whilst you are under anaesthetic - makes it easier for them to stick them onto the right spot.......I found one still stuck on the left side of my chest the next day![/QUOTE]

Okay didnt realise that i just thought it was cause of the metal in the bra or something. Thanks a heap and lol at finding one the next day hehe.

Thanks for this though guess i shall see when my surgeon and i get to chat next time

Though am always happy to hear others experiences

Thanks again:angel:

Animal1968 02-10-2013 01:38 AM

Hi
It's probably different here in the uk, but when I had my surgery 4 weeks ago, no bra but pants were allowed on, they told me its to do with the metal in the bra and the electrode pads, which you end up with all the glue from, ha ha.

I was kept in hospital for 3 nights, first night and morning was bedpan, you just call the nurse, if you are a quite a private person, as I am, and unfortunately I had started my periods 1 hr before my surgery, I asked for the bedpan when she brought it I said I could manage so they leave you and you just buzz when finished. I told them I was on my period so they brought a little bag for all the rubbish too. Mind you I was prepared and had everything ready in my bag next to me. Once you have passed the crutches with PT then you are allowed to go to the bathroom, which in my case felt like it was about half a mile away, lol. It was a drama of its own but so nice to be able to close the door and have some privacy. After the first night I was allowed to put my pjs on, they wouldn't let me before that they said in case anything happened on first night and they need fast access.
But like the others, when I need the other foot doing I would not hesitate, it has been very comfortable, I was off painkillers after 4-5 days and just take one if it gets a little achy.
You will be fine, and no question is silly, ask away I know I asked everyone lots before mine, and their great! Really puts your mind to rest.
Stay in touch

Star6 02-10-2013 01:55 AM

[QUOTE=Animal1968;5131006]Hi
It's probably different here in the uk, but when I had my surgery 4 weeks ago, no bra but pants were allowed on, they told me its to do with the metal in the bra and the electrode pads, which you end up with all the glue from, ha ha.

I was kept in hospital for 3 nights, first night and morning was bedpan, you just call the nurse, if you are a quite a private person, as I am, and unfortunately I had started my periods 1 hr before my surgery, I asked for the bedpan when she brought it I said I could manage so they leave you and you just buzz when finished. I told them I was on my period so they brought a little bag for all the rubbish too. Mind you I was prepared and had everything ready in my bag next to me. Once you have passed the crutches with PT then you are allowed to go to the bathroom, which in my case felt like it was about half a mile away, lol. It was a drama of its own but so nice to be able to close the door and have some privacy. After the first night I was allowed to put my pjs on, they wouldn't let me before that they said in case anything happened on first night and they need fast access.
But like the others, when I need the other foot doing I would not hesitate, it has been very comfortable, I was off painkillers after 4-5 days and just take one if it gets a little achy.
You will be fine, and no question is silly, ask away I know I asked everyone lots before mine, and their great! Really puts your mind to rest.
Stay in touch[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that i just really hope i can keep the undies on lol but i don't know if i have to stay in hospital or anything yet till i speak to my ortho at the end of February.

Even though i am 27 i know my mum is hoping i will be kept in for a few nights for pain management but i just felt really nervous about the no pants thing lol :) but that seems to be most people. I mean there are some surgery's you cant have them but i would think mostly with foot and ankle surgery's you should be able to keep them on.

That's just me.

It was the same with the toilet stuff but yes Thanks for your story of it much appreciated and thanks for saying its not silly really is appreciated all this help thats available on here.

Will definitely keep in touch!

Erie0385 02-10-2013 04:45 AM

Along with the undies issue, a lot depends on the surgeon, hospital rules, and how long the surgery will last. A lot of times if the surgery is over a certain length of time the dr and/or anesthesia will put in a catheter. For my last surgery they told me to take everything off. Then as I was being wheeled into the OR the surgeon and anesthesia were arguing over if they were putting a catheter in me (surgery was around 3 hrs) surgeon won and said no. Because of that, anesthesia won't push the fluids in you as much so you won't wet yourself while your alseep! (interesting stuff I learned since my sister is an OR nurse!)

angelee43 02-10-2013 05:07 AM

[QUOTE=Erie0385;5131035]Along with the undies issue, a lot depends on the surgeon, hospital rules, and how long the surgery will last. A lot of times if the surgery is over a certain length of time the dr and/or anesthesia will put in a catheter. For my last surgery they told me to take everything off. Then as I was being wheeled into the OR the surgeon and anesthesia were arguing over if they were putting a catheter in me (surgery was around 3 hrs) surgeon won and said no. Because of that, anesthesia won't push the fluids in you as much so you won't wet yourself while your alseep! (interesting stuff I learned since my sister is an OR nurse!)[/QUOTE]

wow! Never knew that! Good to know :)

Star6 02-10-2013 06:37 AM

thanks for that information good to know though would be a little uncomfortable about the catheter and wouldn't be keen on it or having it or someone doing that down there! but yes i guess they have to do what they do but i wouldn't be comfortable about that.

Figure i am just going to have to rest a lot more though as i have had to use the crutches less as my good ankle is starting to get a few twinges and aches in just two spots on my foot :(

One on the inner side of my Achilles tendon and the other just under my medial malleolus on my outer side of the ankle sigh. So i have had to go back to walking on my bung foot which gives out evry step i take which makes it worse cause the other one gets these twinges/aches whenever i go one footed for something and i can no longer hop without those twinges occuring.

Which used to be one of my ways getting around and now the crutches and putting my weight through that foot are causing it too :(

I really need to allow it to ease i guess so it will support me after surgery whenever that is cause i am not going to be able to afford a scooter or anything i just don't have the finances :( so yes guess i just need to rest and just try and walk without the crutches or walk on both feet with the constantly collapsible foot and so my good doesn't get worse.

As i really do need it for after surgery and considering i think its ligaments or tendons i can feel causing it even sometimes when i rest i guess i just have to rest up as much as i would rather be able to get up and do things.

sigh when can i get a break i just hope the surgery happens soon and i can get on the road to recovery sigh :( I just want my good foot to be okay i don't want to injure it too :( But might just have to use the crutches so i don't make my bung ankle worse which it has been when i use it cause then it stirs up and i cant sleep properly at night

But yes thanks for listening to my vent so sick of it all!
Thanks too for the information about the hospitals please keep it coming it really is useful to know these things so i am not anxious when it comes to the surgery.

Thanks again

ohitscourtney 02-10-2013 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=Star6;5130980]Hi, I know i am going to be having surgery after seeing my orthopedic at the end of February but there were a couple of things i have been wondering about that i have kinda been embarassed to ask about.

But anyway the 2 things i want to know are

1.If you need to go to the necessities after surgery are you able to if you are being kept in the hospital?

2. Do you keep undies on during the op or what? As i understand why bras cant be kept on but yes.

I was just curious about these two things even though i am not having surgery just yet as its not scheduled till after my next ortho appointment but these are two things i have really been wondering about due to the fact that this will be my first surgery ever.

I wasn't able to keep my bra or undies on. They said they want to keep the outside germs as low as possibly in the ER..so that's why I couldn't wear mine. I've heard some people can, others can't. I think it goes back to the hospital rules..just like how preop instructions can vary from person to person.

Star6 02-10-2013 06:58 AM

Thanks i know i will find out at the time lol though to be honest may be a little uncomfortable particularly the catheter thing! Wouldn't be keen about that at all. But yes good to hear all this stuff so i know kinda what you can expect and the range of things you can expect