It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User
4 Days Post Op

Hi everyone, I am 4 days post op from having just about any procedure you can think of to reconstruct my foot and ankle. My recovery has been horrible so far, I am in pain all the time and Vicodin sucks! I got a 2nd nerve block the day after my surgery just to help with the pain. Blessed relief for about 10 hrs. The first block only lasted about 6 hrs. But once it wore off, we were right back to the same problem..Vicodin sucks for pain this intense. So do I have anything stronger yet? Nope. I am to take Aleve in between to help. It doesn't help a whole lot.
So here are my suggestions to anyone getting ready for surgery: When someone from this site tells you to STAY AHEAD of the PAIN, they mean it!! I didn't and the block wore off, and I didn't feel like getting up to get my meds in, so I didn't...break thru pain sucks and it just keeps building. Once you let it get away from you, it's hard to come back. So I take Aleve in between my doses of Vicodin. It's now helping. Today was much better.
TAKE YOUR STOOL SOFTENERS! Also a big help. That is all I will say on that subject.
TAKE PAIN MEDS WITH FOOD! Yep, I forgot about that one and ended up throwing up. The good thing is, you only forget it once.

I thought I would be reading up a storm, playing on the computer etc...Vicodin makes me feel fuzzy headed and I can't concentrate on anything for very long at all. I barely sleep...2 hrs is the most I sleep at any given time, then my nerves in my foot start firing off and my foot jumps and I wake up thinkng something happened to my foot. Please tell me these are normal things an that I will settle into this recovery and find my groove!

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: lauralei51
ginger62 (02-10-2013), ohitscourtney (02-11-2013), tenderfoot (02-10-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: 4 Days Post Op

Oh Laurelei, you poor thing. It does suck. You should be over the worst of it pretty soon. I think at about 4 days I felt better and was ready to cut the meds. I didn't (after everyone here gave it a big thumbs down), but it did ease up quite a bit. Hang in there.
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Sorry you're having such a rough time. I couldn't take the Vicodin,,,,made me itch terribly. Call your dr and tell him the Vicodin just isn't cutting the pain. He can meds one which will provide relief. You have to be able to rest in order to heal. By day 3, I was able to begin backing off the pain meds, butnnhave a high pain tolerance, I found that if I kept then foot elevated properly, I could go longer periods Btwn pain meds. You'll begin to feel better and stronger soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. I was in a bad place last night and I was really being negative. I ac tually turned a corner last night! I got a full night's sleep and didn't awaken in pain!!!! So far today, I haven't had any pain. And now that I'm thinking more clearly, I want to apologize for the pity party I threw myself last night on these message boards. I don't want to be "that girl", the one who spews negativity and feels sorry for herself all the time. I guess 4 days of constant pain will do that though.

I feel soooo much better today! I am so releived. A lot of my swelling went down overnight too. Trust me, the only time I'm not elevating and icing is when I go to the bathroom.

I hadn't been telling anyone how bad I was feeling, so I vented it here last night. THank goodness I have this site

Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
(female)

PamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB User

Vent all you want!! We all understand here. Unless you have been through something like this, you don't know. I actually had my brother-in-law compare the pins and needles he gets from his leg falling asleep from sitting too long to the nerve pain we get! WHAT???

Have you talked with your dr about tramadol? I can't take strong narcotics - they make me very sick. They had to switch me to tramadol (off the percocet) on day 2 after I was projectile vomiting (yes, I took it with food and all that stuff..) It doesn't help like the percocet, but it doesn't have the side effects. Just a thought.

I am on celebrex for my back from the spondylitis I have, so I know that helps me as well.

And the nerve pain SUCKS! Thankfully it just lasts for short period of time. If it was constant, I would be going crazy. I am in week 4 and yes it still happens, but my dr said it does go away eventually. It just is part of healing.

That first few days is the worst..it will start to calm down. I did have some bad swelling after they took out the stitches, and that caused bad pain, but after 2 days, it calmed right down. Now I get some heel pain, incisions are sore, and the nerve stuff...but it is more uncomfortable than being in constant pain now. And elevation and ice are your friends.

Good luck and keep on keeping on. You are going thru normal stuff..and it does get better!

The Following User Says Thank You to PamS1970 For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

No apologies for pity parties. We've all been there. Glad to hear you are feeling better!
Ginger

The following user gives a hug of support to ginger62:
lauralei51 (02-10-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Yeah....don't apologize!!! Let's just be honest...if it sucks...say so!! This is the only place I got the truth about what was going to happen! The OS only said I would be nwb for 6 to 8 weeks ....someone here told me it would be more like 4 months....for my procedures they were right!

Besides I invited you all to my pity party on Friday night....we all need to vent or we may explode! I do hope that your pain is more incheck....I remember it well!! That first week was hell.

And yes...don't forget stool softners! Pain meds & immobility can make you very constipated....which in my case led to another surgery. Especially bad if you have a weak pelvic floor muscle. Did you know you can push so hard that you can push your rectum out of place? Trust me...it is not a surgery you tell a lot of people about! It may have slowed my recovery a few weeks. I have heard fiber one brownies help too, but never tried them.

Hang in there Lauralei.....keep us posted....I've been thinking of you...

The following user gives a hug of support to tenderfoot:
lauralei51 (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Awh, well I'm glad you got a full night sleep last night. Don't feel bad about venting or having a pity party. We have all been there. I ate ice cream like 30 mins before my pain meds and it helped a ton. You did remind me to buy more stool softeners. I'm going to need those haha. They never gave you a higher dose or different meds? That stinks!

I hope today is good for you.

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Last edited by ohitscourtney; 02-11-2013 at 12:56 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ohitscourtney:
lauralei51 (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
(female)

To Ginger62. Butrfli1, Courtney, and Tenderfoot....I appreciate you wondeful ladies so much and thank you for your support and for making me feel better about beind a big baby. LOL I think you all have such big hearts and you make my recovery easier to handle by sharing your stories and advice with me. I am still doing well...only surprise got today was the huge Zaaap that went thru my heel a few hrs ago. OMG it was such a zinger and seemed to wake up every nerve ending in my ankle and foot where they did any work. Thankfully, as you said, it only lasted a few seconds and it was over. OUCH though. I am dozing off, so I will take that as a sign that it's time to say good night.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
(female)

Oh boy, I need to update this! I am now 9 days post surgery and I feel soooo much better! Yay! I have cut way down on pain meds...in fact, haven't needed any today, and only once yesterday. I feel so much better now that I am not in a drugged fog. My swelling has gone down drastically today! Amazing how much better I feel without so much swelling. I don't have any pain other than little twinges here and there. For some reason, the lateral side of my knee on that leg is very very touchy and sore. I keep looking for a big bruise but nothing there. I had 2 nerve blocks done, one the day of surgery, and another the day after. They gave the injection in the back of my knee, so maybe it is from that.

I am pretty happy with how my recovery is going at this point.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

Laura, congratulations on making it thru the worst part. Each day seems to get a little better. I went back for my two weeks post op and still had black toes. I was told I wasn't sufficiently elevating it. Keep your toes above your nose. Already I am feeling better.

Closed Thread