It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
Re: Pushing too hard?

The best news is, Friday my sis and I walked the mall, I only took 1 crutch!! I did fabulously. Then on Saturday I did the grocery store with 1 crutch, then went out for a girls night, all on one crutch. Came back to my friends house and got into the hot tub for a bit (didn't help the swelling but it felt amazing) and I even got in and out and across the patio with no crutch and no boot. Today I started with 1 crutch and I've been down to NOTHING in the house!! Now I do have more swelling than normal, but the pain isn't increasing at all. Soon I will have a date with my old trusty ice pack.

Ncgirl- having normal ROM is definitely a feat. Don't worry, you will get there soon. And I feel ya on the boot. I dread putting it on, and when I've been in it a while I'm dying to get it off and then I won't put it back on. I'm sure I'm probably not supposed to, but I feel like at this point it can't hurt not having it on while in the house.

Troly- Thanks I was actually doing okay with minimal calf cramps, and then today I could feel them seriously jumping. SOO painful. I can't even seem to massage them out. The only thing that was working was when my PT would stretch me and he'd have to put most of his weight into the stretch. He'd be worn out by the time he got done. Hopeully tomorrow he can help me out. I forunately have "unlimited" PT with my insurance. Now, I'd rather not pay for it, but I know in the long run for me, it's better that I go. I to, am terrified about going back to work and being on my feet all day. I'm just counting my blessings that my boss is being super sweet (not too hard when I'm her favorite and my temp replacement sucks) and giving me sit down work for a couple weeks, hopefully to ease me back into my normal work. It's also kind of nice they don't have a home for my replacement yet, so there will be an extra of us, and I won't be missed too much out on the floor!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #17
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
It's so great to hear how far you've come! Nice work pushing yourself with the walking.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

The Following User Says Thank You to Snowrunner For This Useful Post:
Erie0385 (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Yay! That's awesome progress! I think I've pretty much kicked the boot to the curb. I had only been wearing it outside the house, but this weekend I decided to go without out it to dinner because it was icy out...I thought I was safer in a shoe than the slick boot. I took the boot with me and left it in the car "just in case" but didn't need it. I went to the grocery store without it yesterday and felt so much better than I did wearing it. Last night I was much less achy and I think even less swollen than when I wear it. We'll see what my PT has to say about it tomorrow, but she told me to listen to my body and if I'm not swelling more than usual and not in more pain than to go for it. My walk is still not pretty yet, but just seeing that foot in a shoe again feels amazing!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

I feel like shouting from the rooftops today!!!

I started my day at PT, and my foot was a little achy, but he actually increased my level on the bike from 0 to 5, and I did well. But I've noticed that as I increase activity I've been getting pain in my arch, so I mentioned it to him. He took at it, felt around, and didn't notice anything crazy but told me to mention it to the OS today. So after PT, I drove to the car dealership to drop off for an oil change, didn't even bother with the boot, but took 1 crutch. I did great! Then mom and I headed to Missouri for a little lunch and shopping before my appointment. Used one crutch just for the balance cause I trip in the boot.

Then I went to my OS appointment and he said everything looks great! You could actually tell how excited he was. Said things feel nice and tight, pretty good strength. I do have some guarded resistance when he pushes my foot toward me, so he wants PT to continue work that, said it could also be part of the calf problem and to have PT continue stretching. He said I go into a brace and shoe. Said to build up from boot to brace. I didn't bother telling him I've already been doing that....I was able to use my same ASO brace so I got home and put that on. BOOT IS RETIRED!!! I asked about my arch pain, he felt around and said it was my PTT.....he's [I]hoping[I] that it's just aggrivated from being NWB for so long. I'm crossing my fingers for that too. Wants to see me in another week. At this point I can start more strength building at PT, and slowly get into eliptical or tredmill if I wanted. And closer to the end of the month light jogging if I felt up to it. If I jogged at this point he wants it inside, no outside stuff. This thrills me about the jogging since I set a new goal to start working toward running a 5K in September. I have been by no means a runner (I swore I'd never run again when I first messed up my ankle 10 years ago since that's what caused me to tear my ATFL the first time). But I'm over that cause I love the stress release I gain from jogging.

Since I've been home from the OS I've propped both crutches up against the wall and I haven't touched them!!!!!!!!

And I'm cleared to go back to work! I'm finally feeling like I'm over the biggest hump and I'm slowly closer to getting back to normal! Ncgirl-my walk isn't to pretty either, but I'm doing it, and that's a lot more than I can say I was doing 4 weeks ago! Go us!!

This has truely been a good day! It's also so exciting seeing everyone else slowly getting back to normal as well!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

The following user gives a hug of support to Erie0385:
ginger62 (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

WOW!! Inspiration for us all.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pesher For This Useful Post:
Erie0385 (02-18-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #21
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Two boots kicked to the curb, I agree it's inspirational to see this kind of progress!

Closed Thread