It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
Pushing too hard?

I'm in a boot and I've been transitioning to FWB on 2 crutches, now trying to use 1 when possible. I've really pushed myself this weekend with using 1 crutch. For the most part it's going okay, but by the end of the night I'm in a lot of pain. I'm also still having the bad calf cramps. It's making walking "normal" a lot harder!

I have my next dr appointment on Feb 18, and I will most likely be released back to work on the 19th. That would put me at 10 weeks post op. By that time I will be completely out of leave, so I kind of have to go back. I know my boss will work with me some, but my job is retail management. Im on my feet all day. I'm planning on talking to my PT tomorrow about my concerns, and then I'm gonna go in and talk to my boss. It's been a few weeks since I've given her a good update.

In other good news I got out in the car yesterday, and I drove around in an empty parking lot to see how my foot responded. It's really weird driving after 9 weeks of not. The oddest feeling was moving from gas to break, I could feel the surgery site really being worked and it made the ankle site afterwards. Good ring is, work is only about 6-7 miles from home.

I'm just really down about my pain and "lack" of progress knowing where I have to be in a week. Ugh!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

The following user gives a hug of support to Erie0385:
tenderfoot (02-10-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User
Re: Pushing too hard?

I wish it were easier! I am in the same boat....Dr says I could be walking in a shoe by the 21st for my next appointment. It is so hard! My leg is weak, the achilles is still tight.....I overdid my workout on Thurs & was so swollen & sore...I had to go back into the boot & ice & elevate. I stood for a long time on Saturday night washing dishes at a fundraising dinner, using crutches....Ijust can't imagine doing it all day. It is so tiring. Can you sit on a stool at work? At least be able to get off your feet a bit?

i feel swelling & stiffness inthe top of foot & back of ankle...ouch...I don't know if I should just push through it or give it a rest. I feel like everyone thinks I'm purposely trying not to walk.....frustrating..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Tender, you had a lot more done thatI did, but, as far as the stiffness and swelling that I had, I pushed and found that once I did so, I found it easier to walk FWB. Check with your DR or PT,,,,,I wouldn't want to advise you to do something that might hurt you, since your surgery was totally different than mine! Good Luck to you!!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

You had different surgery than I did, but I found when I started to push some, things happened a bit quicker. I was frustrated that I felt like I should be going from two crutches to FWB quicker than I was. I started pushing myself a bit to get to one crutch. Getting from one crutch to FWB happened with a few days after that, I realized I wasn't using the crutch anymore. My PT also told me not to push through the pain - she said I wasn't going to hurt anything, but there was no need to push through the pain and to know what my body can tolerate.

I was so happy to lose the crutches, now I'm starting to work on walking without the boot, and that's equally as frustrating. I've got three weeks before I'm supposed to be back in a shoe, and walking without the boot is still really hard. After the first few steps, I'm not really in pain, but it's sooo stiff it's really hard to walk. I have to keep telling myself three weeks ago I couldn't take one step FWB in the boot and now I can walk everywhere, so a lot can happen in 3 weeks!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

Last year when I got out of the boot, albeit from a much easier surgery than any of yours, I went back on crutches for a couple days. I could take a pretty normal step with the crutches, and short stepped really bad without them. By the end of the weekend, I was walking somewhat normal. I think I had 2 maybe 3 weeks from getting out of the boot to hiking around a warship.

When I got the boot and went back to work, I used the crutches to get into work and put them in a corner when I got there. I had about a 6 block walk from where I got dropped off to my office. I talked to my PT about it & he agreed that it made sense to take break in the morning and start out well, rather than push it hard first thing and hurt all day.

The Following User Says Thank You to wilkinak For This Useful Post:
Troly59 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

Thank you ladies for your replies!

I know this is a hard transition. I was just really hoping I'd be further along before I have to go back to work. I'm majorly stressed over this! At my 6 week post-op visit, the dr said that if I wasn't off crutches by my next visit, he wouldn't be surprised, but at the same time told me if I felt good enough, to ditch them. I talked to my PT today about my fears of going back to work and the crutches. With the amount of pain I'm still having he said it sounds like I'm pushing too hard. I was a little shocked to hear him say that, since he's a pusher! I guess it helped hearing him tell me that, now I know where he thinks I should be...He also spent about 10 minutes stretching me today. I feel so much better when he does that. I'd say I probably spent almost all of Saturday and Sunday using only 1 crutch. But today it hurts so bad even using 2.

Tenderfoot-I feel so bad for you! I know it's terrible when everyone thinks we should be able to put down the crutches one day and we can just return to our normal lives. It totally doesn't work that way! (Well maybe it did for me when I was 15 and 18 for my first 2 surgeries). At work I doubt it. A lot of my time is spent running to registers for refunds or customer service calls, cash pick ups, running to the pharmacy to help when they get backed up, counting down 8 drawers at night, and to make matters worse, when I return, our inventory is like 2 weeks after. And since I've not been there for 9 weeks, I can't imagine the store/stockroom is even close to being ready. Boss originally said she could probably come up with some paperwork to do, but if I am by myself, I still will be responsible for all the other stuff. I didn't make it in today to talk to her, hopefully tomorrow.

Ncgirl- I totally understand the stiffness and it really makes things hard to keep a normal gait. I keep telling myself over and over "heel to toe" but the muscles don't want to listen!

I have to tell myself, once I'm back at work, I need to take time out and rest my foot and rely on others to help me out. I'm known for being superwoman, and I will have to let everyone know that it's going to be a while before I can do that!

Last edited by Erie0385; 02-11-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

My dr told me not to be afraid of pain, that at this point I wasnt going to hurt myself or damage any of the work that had been done, and how much I can do is really a matter of what I can tolerate. I tend to push myself, and have also discovered I have a high tolerance for pain, so I thought I'd be able to push myself pretty hard. My PT told me not to push through pain and to stop right away if something hurts. I thought she explained it well - she said while I'm not going to damage anything, if I push myself through pain, it's counterproductive because my body will eventually stop responding to avoid the pain, so I won't be able to do as much. I thought that was an interesting way of thinking about it. I've pretty quickly found what I can tolerate...a lot of my pain is from stiffness, if I push through the first few steps, the pain usually goes away. If it doesn't subside after the first few steps, I back off.

I've been "practicing" walking with a sneaker on around the house. My gait is terrible right now because it's so stiff, but my husband says it looks better than it did...I can't wait to walk normally again!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

After my pity party I'm feeling much better!
I finally went in and talked to my boss. She's totally excited to have me return and she's found a major load of office work to focus on for a couple of weeks. Also my replacement doesn't leave as soon as I come back, so I'm sort of an extra written on the schedule! So I'm planning on making sure the doc releases me next week! *Sigh of relief*

At last appointment doctor said now that I'm in a boot, and when I felt comfortable I could put a shoe on and drive. So after practicing over the weekend, I went out for the first time by myself to work. First off it felt good! Second I didn't want to bother carrying the boot to the car, getting to work and then trying to put it on, just to take it off to drive home, so I put my old aso brace on and used my 2 crutches. I walked through my store, talked to everyone, hardly used the crutches much. I had hardly any pain! I actually felt good! Then tonight I went to dinner and the grocery store with the boot and 1 crutch and instant pain. I swear the boot is making everything worse. I am so hoping doctor puts me in a brace and shoe on monday!!

Thanks for everyones encouraging words. I'm definitely in a better mind frame!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

You ladies are awesome!! You're all doing such a great job and are such an inspiration to me!! I don't have to worry about going back to work (retired) and you are doing sooooo well with your plans,,,just don't push too hard, I worry about your pain levels. We've all come so far, haven't we?? I feel like we should be doing "virtual" high fives!!! Or the happy feet dances!! I love that we all share our accomplishments. Keeps us focused, motivated and moving forward. Thanks for the positive posts!!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
(female)

Yay for progress! It's amazing how much difference a few days can make!

Re: the boot, I was telling my PT today how the boot is really starting to annoy me, I feel like it hurts more when I wear it and I can walk faster than the boot allows me to, so it's frustrating, but even just a week ago, I swore I'd wear the boot forever if I had to because it's the only way I could walk without crutches. She said my body's starting to wean itself off the boot and to go with what my body is telling me. She said to definitely keep the boot on when I'm out, but as long as I don't have too much pain or swelling it's ok to wear just my shoe at home. Makes me feel like there's a light at the end of this tunnel...even though I've still got quite a ways to go!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Today at PT he measured me so he could send the fax to my doctor for my Monday appt. Wonderful news is, my ROM is NORMAL!! I told him it sure doesn't feel "normal" since I have never had normal ROM, but non-the-less he was super excited for me! He also measured my swelling, and those numbers were unchanged from my first visit. He's not terribly concerned about those since there isn't a ton of swelling. Since my ROM is now at normal numbers, he's afraid of stretching me too much, since I don't feel any stretch anymore. That's a little disappointing because it was really helping with my calf pain. PT thinks that once I get out of the boot, the calf pain should ease up. I hope he's right, but in the boot, not in the boot, I still have that pain. I seriously despise the boot. (Though I have been testing the waters at home, and I can walk way easier without the boot....Ncgirl, I so feel you on this boot ordeal!)At this point in the game I'm struggling to keep the stupid thing on. I feel so much better without it.

I'm mega crossing my fingers to be told on Monday I'm in a brace and shoe. I may end up doing the happy dance right in front of the OS if he says that!

Jeanne, how is PT going for you? What do they have you working on? I'm so curious since we started out much the same, and then you passed me up with the boot to shoe progress!

The following user gives a hug of support to Erie0385:
ginger62 (02-14-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Hi Erin, I have only had PT consultation but have not started actual PTvyet. PT gave me green and blue bands to work with home, along with 4 exercises to do, and 4 exercises (stretches) to do at home, till I can see him. I was supposed to begin actual PT this week, but have had setback. I woke up last Wed morning and could barely walk. I have three bulging discs pressing against the SI nerve (this is an ongoing issue). spine dr had to prescribe steroids to try to calm down this inflammation and it's not working yet, so I can't start ankle PT, till I can walk upright!!I have scheduled PT for Monday and I hope I can start then!!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Oh my gosh, that's crazy! Well I hope you feel better and can start therapy Monday!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
(female)

That's awesome that your ROM is normal! I can't wait to have mine measured again, it's certainly not normal yet but I can tell it's much, much better than it was. Keeping fingers crossed for you get the green light on Monday...I can't wait for that day (2 more weeks I hope!)...I am so tired of this boot and it makes my foor hurt worse than going without.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
(female)

Troly59 HB UserTroly59 HB User

Erie,Congrats on the normal ROM. I am having similar calf knots they are driving me CRAZY...... Coming from the peroneal muscles they are trigger points when the muscle is activated,stressed. The more I walk the tighter they clamp down. I'm looking for a sports massage person.My fingers are so sore from digging into my calf to release them I have used all my PT visits. My PT only manipulated my ankle for ROM,exercises were done at home.I am in a TOTAL panic about going back to work, standing, walking nonstop.

Closed Thread