It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User
Re: 4 Weeks Post Op - in boot and can start PWB - little scary

Pam and Hachee, are things progressing with PWB? My cast comes off Monday, and we had surgery at roughly the same time. I am excited and worried.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
(female)

Hachee HB UserHachee HB UserHachee HB User

Well... my dr. gave me the go ahead to do as much as I am comfortable with in the boot almost 2 weeks ago. I was still using crutches until this past monday, putting some weight on it, but not much. I was at the grocery store and realized that I had been putting a lot of weight on it, without any pain. Soooo... I've ditched the crutches as long as I'm in the boot. I've found that I try to move my foot and push off in the boot, which makes my calf SCREAM and swell around the incision area. I've been sure to really watch how I'm working it. It's stiff in the morning and pretty painful to even put on the boot (I refuse to sleep in it- I just wrap my foot and sleep with it elevated), but loosens up quickly. I usually just go to work, come home, make dinner, do all the things that I need hands for or need to stand for, and then retire to the couch, take everything off and ice and elevate and stretch and massage and get around on crutches. I guess we'll see what the Dr. says at my next appt on monday :/

It is SO NICE to have my hands free again and to be able to get around the house and clean! My husband has been awesome... but well, we all know how that goes

-Hachee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
(female)

Hachee HB UserHachee HB UserHachee HB User

PesCav,
I didn't have nearly as much done as you have... so I'm sure my recovery has been much wimpier compared to yours, I guarantee!

-Hachee

Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
(female)

PamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB User

PesCav, we had similar surgery. Honestly, I am having a rough time with the weight bearing. I can put a small amount with the walker, but not for long at all. I get a lot of pain in the evening if I walk on it much. I think he should have had me wait 6 weeks instead of 4. My heel is still very numb and when I step it feels like I am walking on something, then after a bit it is very painful.

It has improved over the first time I tried, but it is a slow improvement. I am still elevating a lot.

I also have an autoimmune condition that is similar to rheumatoid arthritis, so that is also contributing to the problem as well.

Good luck on Monday!

The following user gives a hug of support to PamS1970:
PesCav (02-23-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 04:02 AM   #20
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Hachee, sounds like you are progressing nicely! I know what you mean about husbands trying, but... Lol

Pam, our surgeries do sound similar. Where did they anchor your PTT? Mine is through cuniform in middle of my foot, anchored on bottom. Glad to read that you are seeing steady albeit slow progress. Hang in there!!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

11 weeks post op here.... Having a hard time with the boot and rolling walker. As an extra bonus I have a screw that is popping up... On top of foot. My foot is very skinny and bony. And I have 12 screws in my foot. So as the swelling goes down I think the screws are going to pop up. I see the doctor on Wednesday.
My pressure in the boot is okay but only after a while. At the beginning the heel really hurts.
Ha bee, Troy, Pam and pes.... Thanks for the info.
I put tennis balls On the rear legs of the Walker. It makes things smoother on the hardwood floors, And on the carpets too. At 11 weeks I can't imagine not using some sort of aid because I am not full weight-bearing. And I think full weight bearing means being able to stand on the surgical foot alone.
Good luck to all of you.
My surgery was December 7. Keep us all posted.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
Veteran
(female)

Pesher, the extent of your surgery is unreal (12 screws??) and the loose screw sounds awful. Hang in there. I am prepared for heel pain, I think it is inevitable reading the boards. I just can't wait to get my freaking' cast off!! 2 days...

Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #23
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Loose screw in foot and maybe also in HEAD!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
Veteran
(female)

P, :-)

So I am so excited to start PWB that I ordered a pair of Brooks Glycerin for myself. (Side note: OMG what has happened to athletic shoes in the past couple of years, nary a plain old white sneaker to be had!! Gah, evidently I am 48 going on 90...)

Let's hope my surgeon agrees with me tomorrow about the whole PWB thing, or I will be one disappointed person. I guess much rests on how my osteotomy is healing.

At least my cast will be gone -- I have started to wonder if it smells, though my husband says no, I think he's just being nice to me!!

Last edited by PesCav; 02-24-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, don't you have to wear the dreaded boot first? I know I did with my Achilles' tendon surgery. And I post this everywhere can't remember if I already put it here if you do get the boot get one of those gel cups for your heel helps a lot good luck cathy

Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #26
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Hi all
Sounds like hard work, and very painful?
I have my x-ray and cast off on Wednesday can't wait, may have to hug the nurse that takes it off, ha ha.
If consultant is happy with everything, into boot!
Do you have to have bandage on under boot, as my incisions still feel raw in my cast, mind you I thought that in my splint and there was nothing there, hahaha
So excited at being able to wash my leg and SHAVE woohoooo

Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I did have bandage and then ace bandage on top of that. Cathy

Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #28
Veteran
(female)

Cathy, yep, only moving to a boot, the shoes are just optimistic thinking, lol. I have quite a collection of good shoes that, unfortunately, I have been wearing while seriously under-pronating/supinating with my now-hopefully-corrected right foot, so they may not be good for me in the future. It makes a little queasy to consider how many dollars I invested, but after everything I have been through, I am taking no chances in the future!

For my first new shoe, i picked an athletic shoe with excellent cushioning for neutral to under-pronators in order to accomodate both feet. My feet before surgery were 1.5 sizes different. At 2 weeks, I still had the same arch, but I was casted at 90 degrees and slightly pronating so I am not sure what to expect tomorrow.

Animal, yes, washing and shaving the leg sounds heavenly!

Last edited by PesCav; 02-24-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes my arch changed after I had planters fasciitis surgery. So
E of my shoes didnt work anymore especially my birks! cathy

Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #30
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I can't wait to buy new shoes, my PT keeps telling me no, I need to wait. I am still technically in the boot, but going without at home and of course at PT. I've ventured out without it some too. The only shoes I can wear right now are my old sneakers, and they're awful looking. I also think they're bad for my new foot, I overpronated so badly they are so worn and not helping me try to walk normally. But, I am almost positive my dr will prescribe custom orthotics so my PT said I need to wait for that so I know what kind of shoes to buy. I hate this boot so much now, I hardly wear it at all now, my next drs appt is on Friday and I can't wait to hear the "official" words that I don't need it anymore.

Closed Thread