It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
(female)

PamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB User
4 Weeks Post Op - in boot and can start PWB - little scary

They took x-rays and the heel bone is healing well. That screw is HUGE! He put me back in the boot and said I can slowly start putting weight on it for the next 2 weeks using a walker as much as tolerated. I can also move it around (no weight when I have the boot off) Hurt like crazy to get it completely flat into the boot. Ended up doing that at home, it was too crazy swollen and too much air in the cast to do it at the dr's office. Both our dogs freaked out when I screamed getting it fully 90 degrees in the boot.

After 2 weeks, he wants me to do fwb with no assistance!! Then I go see him after 2 more weeks and we start PT.

He said I can take the boot off when not walking, but we worry about our younger dog jumping on me. I think I will see how it does. I am worried too about moving it weird at night while sleeping. I hate how heavy the boot is, but it was nice to be able to wash my leg.

The incisions are still really bruised looking and my heel and along the outside of my foot is super numb. Dr said I could massage it. He thinks it is because of all the heel trauma and that it should get better.

I am kind of surprised I am moving along so quick. But I trust my dr and hopefully he isn't pushing things too fast. Hope you are all healing well!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User
Re: 4 Weeks Post Op - in boot and can start PWB - little scary

I am certanly no expert on this, but I have read that surgeons are encouraging earlier weight bearing for bone surgeries -- I know my surgeon is pretty aggressive with this, and there is scientific literature online that says its a good practice.

Yikes to screaming to get foot to 90 degrees *shudder* sounds terrible but good for you for just getting it done. My surgeon moved me to 90 degrees and everted at 2 weeks. It wasnt too bad for me but I was super worried before the appointment because I knew it was coming. Frankly, it happened fast and I wasnt expecting it (during exam not casting) and then it was over.

12 days from now -- at 5.5 weeks -- I hope I get the OK to start PWB, too. We had surgery about the same time. Counting down the days. For now I just relentlessly wiggle and flex my foot and toes in the cast like they told me to.

PWB away and best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi,

I was wondering, are you in pt yet? I would think so. If not gently try taking you're big toe imagine its drawing the alphabet and start drawing out the alphabet while lying out of the boot. This is a great exercise to start off with at home, got me loosened up for pt.

Also, buy one of those gel heel cups ad stick it in the bottom of your boot, it wonderful!really helps! Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 02-13-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Wow! That really seems soon considering you had the heel osteotomy. At 4 weeks I was still elevating all day! I had a bit different stuff done but this surprises me. At least you won't have so much muscle loss! That has been a big problem for me. It has been over 3.5 months for me, OS said I should be fwb in a shoe by the 21st ....but my pt says that is pushing it...she thinks mid March is more realistic. Then she said I would probably need a cane or one crutch. I was hoping OS was right,but it just is not working for me. I exercise it several times a day. Sleeping with out the boot is great but don't be surprised if nerve pain returns.....just having the sheet on sometimes is unbearable....sometimes I can't even have my foot touching the bed, especially onthat outer ankle scar.
If you are still crazy swollen you should still be elevating & icing. My dog has only bumped my sore foot once. I think she felt really bad..she jumped up on the bed & I screamed.
Don't over do it....pwb with crutches when you need to move, elevate when you don't....good luck!!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I went into a boot at 6 weeks, and had the same experience with not being able to get my foot at a 90 degree angle in the boot. The girl trying to get the boot on was new and she kept trying to force my foot in, it was excruciating. I finally told her it was fine and I did it myself. It only took a few days to get my foot all the day down in the boot. I am supposed to be in the boot for 6 weeks, but he told me to start weight bearing in it as soon as I felt comfortable. When I tried to take those first steps, I thought there was no way I would ever be able to do it without crutches and it was beyond frustrating. That said, I found it comes quickly, which really surprised me. I am amazed at where I am now compared to 3 weeks ago. After about a week I was down to no crutches at home, one crutch when I was out (in the boot), after a week and a half I lost the crutches completely. It's been almost 4 weeks now, and I haven't been wearing the boot at home for about a week. My walk is not pretty and everything is still really tight, but I can walk! My PT told me I still need to wear the boot when I'm outside the house, but I feel like it's really starting to slow me down now, and I think sometimes it's more achy in the boot than without. I think PT has made a huge difference, and we're really working now on getting my walk "normal" looking again, so I hope to see some results from that soon.

This is a long winded way of saying - hang in there - I think you'll surprise yourself! I have to say, that first week after I was in the boot was probably the most frustrating for me of the whole post-op time, but I'm really happy with where I'm at now.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
(female)

Hachee HB UserHachee HB UserHachee HB User

Woo hoo! I just went into a boot this past monday and can start pwb today (4 weeks). I had the same experience of being moved to a 90º angle.. I couldn't do it at first, so I was sent home in a splint (I was way too swollen to go back into a hard cast). While at home I do not wear the boot at all. I take EVERYTHING off and ice and elevate and massage (it has really helped the bruising). I don't know about anyone else, but most of the pains that I have had have been from pressure and swelling, not actual aches of my bones or tendons. It feels so. good. to take it all off because that boot weighs a ton! At night I just wrap my ankle so I'm not flopping all around and sleep with it slightly elevated. I've been encouraged to stretch and move my ankle for 5 minutes at a time 5 times a day- it feels pretty good too! It's amazing to see my calf muscle bounce back! But has anyone else experienced numbness on the top of their big toe? I've got no feeling from about front of my incision to my big toenail. it's weird.
Sorry for my ramblings!
Hang in there and only do what you can, but let's get walking already!
Have an awesome day!

Hachee

-accessory nav, pttd, contracted achilles-

Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hey while stretching try spelling abc's by point big toe while lying down it really gives good rom there. Do it couple time a day. Good luck cathy

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
(female)

Hi all

Thanks for the support. So far, I haven't taken much of a step, just put it down when in the bathroom a little. It was pretty sore after moving it around, so I didn't want to push it. My husband is at work, so no experimenting until he gets home this evening.

Hachee - what are you using to wrap it at night? I was worried about it moving funny, so I wore the boot last night. It was OK, but it would be nice to sleep without it! I have been stuck on the couch through all this due to our bedroom being upstairs and there is no bathroom up there. Dr. said to use the knee scooter at night and not to worry about putting on the boot if I have to get up to go to the bathroom, but no weight at all w/o the boot.

Cathy, I am not in PT yet. He said right now I am my "own" therapist. To move it with the boot off several times a day and to massage my heel since it is so numb still. I start PT if all goes well in 4 weeks.

Today it has been much easier getting my heel flat in the boot. Still tight though and my calf is not happy. I had Achilles lengthening done 2 years ago and the spot they went in is super tight again. I have been massaging that as well, and it is a lot better than it was.

Still getting those nerve pain spikes. Fun times.

Pam

Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
(female)

I just wrap it with an ace with some gauze over my incisions. If its been a particularly painful day I'll use up to 3 ace bandages...I wrap them pretty loosely, as I have had a lot of problems with pressure pains. It gives some support so you're not flopping about and also keeps you aware of your foot. I have finally been able to sleep!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
(female)

OK, so I took two steps, both using the walker. First step, not too bad, second one, I screamed. It was awful. The bottom of my foot and way in deep and it is still bothering me. Now my husband is thinking did he say 2 weeks just stretch and then start walking. I swear he said PWB 2 weeks, then FWB 2 weeks, then see him, then PT.

I am calling the office to clarify and if I am to be PWB, let them know I am not ready yet. No way that level of pain is ready. He mentioned 4-6 weeks is the NWB time at the apt 2 weeks ago. I think I should be closer to 6.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did u get the gel cup or even two? Cathy

Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
(female)

Talked to the Dr's office. I was right, cleared to start PWB now, however the lady I talked to re-read his notes to me and she said remember, he stressed, as tolerated. You took two steps, and it wasn't tolerated, so back off and just stick to the moving it while sitting right now. She said just doing that will help when trying to put weight on it and said to try again in 2 days. She also said he mentioned in his notes that IF I am FWB after 4 weeks, I will go into PT. She said he has a tendency to give best case to people to motivate. And with that note, she said he knows it might take me all month to work up to walking without assistance or longer.

Made me feel a lot better. I also think the numbness is affecting things, as it feels so funny putting any pressure on it, like I am stepping on something.

I am using it for balance when I am in the bathroom and that is totally tolerated, so I will keep doing that for now.

Ahhh the slow path to recovery...

The following user gives a hug of support to PamS1970:
Hachee (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
(female)

Pam,
I'm in the same boat. Started PWB yesterday at 4 weeks, but whoa, it's not tolerated! I slipped a little today and put a bit too much weight- my calf was screaming! I know I want to get this walking show on the road, my wrist (I also have deQuervains tenosynovitis) and my elbows can't take much more of this crutching around!!! I've had to ban myself from knitting even, it just hurts too bad
I guess we both need to remember baby steps! We will walk again soon, but we have also got to heal!

Hang in there!
-Hachee

-accessory Nav, pttd, contacted achilles-
kidner, gastroc recession- mid january

Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
(female)

Troly59 HB UserTroly59 HB User

I wore a posterior shell night splint, like what you use for plantar fasciitis, to sleep in for protection and would wear the boot during the day. I didn't want my PF to come back when I started walking again since the calf gets so tight over the weeks of NWB. The splint worked very well and gave me piece of mind that the foot would be safe while sleeping.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
(female)

Just a little update. I am now comfortable sleeping without the boot on at night. It has actually been nice to not wear it. I don't wear it much while at home either (unless I am up and around of course.) I am starting to use the walker more and the pain is tolerable. I did step up on it yesterday letting out our dogs and OUCHHHH! I think that was a little too much for it.

We went out on Sunday to the store and to lunch. I used my scooter though. This was the first time it had been down for so long and WOW did it swell up. My husband said it was a zombie foot - purple, swollen and all the incisions! The one incision on my heel (which is black and blue) seeped a little bit, but it seems to have calmed down now. I think it was because it was so swollen.

The dogs have big ok around it when it is out. The golden avoids it completely - she knows it is hurt and the little one I just watch close.

Hope everyone is moving along well. And getting the rest you all need to heal!!

Closed Thread