It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
Surgery got moved up to March 4th

My Doctor had to reschedule my surgery, they said I could either move it from March 8th to March 4th or March 29th. I chose March 4th. I want this over with and to begin healing but am starting to panic a little.

At least before it gave me time with my son over the weekend and then on Monday my daughter would be able to come half the day. Now it is going to be on a Monday (late afternoon) and not sure if anyone can sit with me the next day. My bathroom is literally off my bedroom and I was planning on having drinks and snacks next to my bed. Should I be fine to get up and go to the bathroom and back by myself?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User
Re: Surgery got moved up to March 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernee View Post
My Doctor had to reschedule my surgery, they said I could either move it from March 8th to March 4th or March 29th. I chose March 4th. I want this over with and to begin healing but am starting to panic a little.

At least before it gave me time with my son over the weekend and then on Monday my daughter would be able to come half the day. Now it is going to be on a Monday (late afternoon) and not sure if anyone can sit with me the next day. My bathroom is literally off my bedroom and I was planning on having drinks and snacks next to my bed. Should I be fine to get up and go to the bathroom and back by myself?
I would have picked the ealier date too. I can't deal with date changes..it freaks me out. So you will be alone the 2nd day? Hmm I don't know. My bathroom isn't that far but for the first 3 days Iwas really loopy and almost fell a few times trying to make it.

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
(female)

PamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB User

My Dr's office recommended then first three days to have someone with me most of the day.

What are you having done? The first few days the pain and fatigue are the worst. I would have been scared to be home by myself. I would at least get whatever nwb device you are using and practice ahead of time to make sure you are comfortable moving around.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Are you going home same day as surgery? I would ask if you could stay in hospital until they get pain meds working for you.....especially if you have no one to be there with you. You could get nauseous from meds or not be able to get pain under control. But if you are not having the calcaneal osteotomy it may not be that bad. You will be in bed resting those first few days...have everything handy...I crutched to my bathroom, just take it slow, especially when you first stand up. If you have the knee scooter even better! Hugs to you....the waiting & fear of this surgery is the worst! There is no way to k now what it really will be like for you....you may be one of the lucky ones who have only a bit of pain...fingers crosssed!! We can hope! Good luck!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

While I could get to the bathroom on my own the day after surgery, I would have been really nervous to be by myself that soon. The first few days I was very tired and weak, and the pain meds made me a bit dizzy. After the first two days or so it got better, but even then, for probably the first week or so, I always took my phone with me if I got up to go to the bathroom or anything else if I was home alone, just in the offchance I fell and needed help.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

You definitely made the right decision on choosing the earlier date. Waiting is the absolute worst part!

As far as being left alone I would think it depends on several factors. The biggest one being how quickly you are getting out of hospital. If same day, ugh, I know I was glad someone was with me. How much drugs will you be on after surgery? My dr gave me Percocet but I only took them the first day and a half after coming home. What I found very useful was a commode next to the bed. A friend loaned it to us and it was great. Didn't have to make the walk to the toilet and it was higher and had handles which helped tremendously. Once I was able to get around better (using knee walker) my husband put the commode over the toilet so that I essentially had a handicapped set up. Works great and don't have to empty the pail.

So, if you have food and toilet facilities at the bedside, life is much easier. Oh, and don't forget the remote for the tv.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
(female)

IrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB User

I'll be one day behind you, my surgery is March 5th!! My bf is taking 2 days off, but will have to go back after, he is on a weird schedule right now and will only be gone from 4am-10am. My mom plans to come over at 7am for the first week to help me get up in the morning if I need it. I do not want to be left alone for too long the first week.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am sorry, I never received any notices that I received replies?

Anyway, I am having a debridement on the PTT and then bunion repair. I am coming home the same day. I normally have a high tolerance of pain. I was left alone 2 days after having a hysterocomy also and did well.

I have ordered a toilet seat lifter just so I don't have that issue. I am not getting a scooter since I have 3 levels to my house so will be using a walker around here and then crutches when I am able to leave the house.

My newest question is how long before I can take the boot off as far as getting pants on and off? What did everyone wear? The first week is fine because I will be home but what about when I return to work?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Quote:
I am sorry, I never received any notices that I received replies?

Anyway, I am having a debridement on the PTT and then bunion repair. I am coming home the same day. I normally have a high tolerance of pain. I was left alone 2 days after having a hysterocomy also and did well.

I have ordered a toilet seat lifter just so I don't have that issue. I am not getting a scooter since I have 3 levels to my house so will be using a walker around here and then crutches when I am able to leave the house.

My newest question is how long before I can take the boot off as far as getting pants on and off? What did everyone wear? The first week is fine because I will be home but what about when I return to work?
For the first two weeks(about time can vary) your in a splint type thing, then when you see your doctor for the post op you go into the boot. I wore sweat pants and pj pants a lot. I barely wore jeans, they made me feel fat and I could see my toned calf vs the skinny one.

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
(female)

kara683 HB User

I will be having my surgery on the 15th of March. My Surgery has been pushed back twice.. a month each time. I feel like anxiety hits when the surgery starts to get close. I have had 3 childern ages: 7,4, and 15 mon. How long after surgery can i stand to cook dinner? and function? Will the pain be unbarable for a day? a week ? a month?? I have had 3 natural births... i feel i am tuff.. but the foot does not have "meat" to it it seems that i coul hurt pretty good. Will i see the stiches? will they be coverd?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karahood View Post
I will be having my surgery on the 15th of March. My Surgery has been pushed back twice.. a month each time. I feel like anxiety hits when the surgery starts to get close. I have had 3 childern ages: 7,4, and 15 mon. How long after surgery can i stand to cook dinner? and function? Will the pain be unbarable for a day? a week ? a month?? I have had 3 natural births... i feel i am tuff.. but the foot does not have "meat" to it it seems that i coul hurt pretty good. Will i see the stiches? will they be coverd?
They will be covered with a splint. And standing depends on your doctor. I won't be standing for awhile snice this was my thrid one and he wants everything to heal perfect. My advice is to start a new thread with your questions so it will be easier for people to find it and give you answers and support

2/28/13 FDL transfer

The Following User Says Thank You to ohitscourtney For This Useful Post:
kara683 (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohitscourtney View Post
They will be covered with a splint. And standing depends on your doctor. I won't be standing for awhile snice this was my thrid one and he wants everything to heal perfect. My advice is to start a new thread with your questions so it will be easier for people to find it and give you answers and support
Courtney,

Good luck with your surgery, and if I remember correctly... Happy Birthday!!! I have been getting all set up and getting everything I need. All the helpful hints on here have been so much help. I have had numerous surgies in the past but for some reason, this one has me freaked. Not the surgery itself, but the feeling vulnerable and being laid up after. Can't wait to get it over with.

Tammy

Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Courtney,

Good luck with your surgery, and if I remember correctly... Happy Birthday!!! I have been getting all set up and getting everything I need. All the helpful hints on here have been so much help. I have had numerous surgies in the past but for some reason, this one has me freaked. Not the surgery itself, but the feeling vulnerable and being laid up after. Can't wait to get it over with.

Tammy
Thank you yes you remembered right. My surgery went well. My PTT was fraying like a rope, Ihad a ton of scar tissue and Ihad a bone marrow injection. I'm in so much pain..nothing is working you can go read my post for more info if you like. I really hope your surgery goes well and your feeling almost pain free.

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Closed Thread