It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User
Re: Foot Surgery v. Stairs

Hi all
I have one set of stairs of 15 steps. Front room and kitchen downstairs, bedroom upstairs, since the day I came home I have been up or down stairs at least once, I would go down and eat tea with my husband and daughter every day!
I go up on the bad foot knee and push up with good leg and arms, I have a stool at the top of the stairs to push myself up with, and coming down on my butt, and getting quite speedy at this lol Although I have come down a handful of times on the crutches, but the feeling I might fall normally puts me in my butt!
My surgery was dec 10th, cast due to be removed on 27th?!
Been back at work all this week and foot not been too bad but my hands from crutches are killing me, and my arms feel soooo tired! But school hols next week! So week off then back again for 2 days and then cast off! Woohoo :-)

Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
(female)

IrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB User

Stairs and getting to the bathroom the first few days are the only things that have me nervous for this surgery. I have 6 stairs to get in/out of my house, luckily I have none that I need to use in my house. I pee alot, I mean like every hour, so getting to the bathroom is making me a little nervous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Dill, am not that much younger, am 58, just very stubborn!!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #19
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Just an idea, but if getting to the bathroom in a rush or too often is a worry, you can buy a female urinal, I bought one off ebay for those moments when I knew I would not make it, in the early days, lol

Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

How about a bedside commode? Works well at first. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

I used the bedside commode for several days, especially during the night. Now it is over the toilet so that the seat is higher and I have arms to hold on to. I would consider it to be a necessity.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

I totally agree cause that's what I did. Isn't this fun ? HA, HA. Just kidding.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #23
(female)

Absolutely fun, Much better than the snow storm. How long was your power out?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
(female)

IrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB UserIrishAD HB User

I really don't want to havbe to get the bedside commode. Im hoping I wont have to. I do plan to get a raised toilet seat though.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

Irishad- if your having a modified Brostrom, you should be okay not needing a bedside commode. I had that surgery about 10 years ago and I thought moving around a little bit was pretty doable. Even with my Brostrom Evans this time, I was able to make it back and fourth to the bathroom okay.
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 02-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #26
(female)

.lost power for 2 days.... Installed a whole house generator after losing power for a week during Sandy. Best money ever spent. Didn't want to get stuck with this cast in cold weather and cold house. What about you how long?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #27
(female)

I was so concerned that we might get snow storm and I wouldn't get to surgery but weather that day was fine and when you got blizzard we got about 7". Welcome to new England weather. Now, do you think we will be able to forecast the weather by how our feet are doing? Aches mean bad/wet weather? Actually now that we have new feet we shouldn't get those aches that we have been living with.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #28
(female)

We got 2 feet. Quite dissipated now. Would love to get to a restaurant. I should do it before I lose the scooter.
I am doing PT now. And she is trying to wean me off the Scooter. So with the walker, I feel like I am going a bit backward in order to get better. Oh well. Hope the weather doesn't affect out feet. Who needs more stuff to deal with?

Last edited by Pesher; 02-14-2013 at 05:31 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Pesher:
ddill (02-15-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddill View Post
I am two weeks post op. Staples are out, cast is on. My husband thinks I should not go up/down stairs. I'm willing to crawl on my butt but he thinks it is too dangerous and I might injure the foot. I would so love to go down to my sewing room in the basement.

Has anyone else after foot surgery gone up/down stairs and did you have any issues doing so? Please, I just want to see a different set of four walls!!!
I crawled up and went down my on butt after my post op visit and went into my boot. I never got a cool cast like everyone else seems too but i never had any issues with it. The first surgery I tried with crutches but quicky learned that was a big no no...so I went a crawling.

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

The Following User Says Thank You to ohitscourtney For This Useful Post:
ddill (02-15-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #30
(female)

So, I told my husband that others here are doing stairs on their butt and he still insists that I not try it. I'd really like to get upstairs....what to do?.....what do I do?

Closed Thread

Tags
1/31 surgery a2ptt reconstruction, achilles lengthening and allograft, tendon transfer