It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User
Re: Foot Surgery v. Stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddill View Post
So, I told my husband that others here are doing stairs on their butt and he still insists that I not try it. I'd really like to get upstairs....what to do?.....what do I do?
Tell him that he can stand behind you while you crawl. It might make him feel better, I'm sure he's just worried you might hurt youself. My parents wouldn't let me go up and down crawling alone for like 3 weeks...which is odd cause idk how I could fall crawling but, it made them feel better to stand behind me.

How's your recovery going? My surgery date needs to hurry up...I'm right where you were with the days dargging on.

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

The following user gives a hug of support to ohitscourtney:
ddill (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #32
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

True to my word, i woke up determined to master my 2 steps to freedom. I started with one step to my patio, in out, in out. Of course, as soon as i stepped out in the rain, the phone rang and my husband ditched me. Then I tackled the double steps -- the best I can say is I didn't fall, haha, I think my nerves got the best of me and I totally lost focus. I did put a very slight amount of pressure on my casted foot for balance at one point, that was probably not a good idea. Going to keep trying until I get it.

Ddill, my opinion is that you need to do what you want -- if its important to you, tackle the steps. I'm not sure what risk there is going down on your bottom or crawling up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #33
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Courtney, you are being amazingly patient with your long wait. My surgery was originally scheduled for March 15th but I picked up a cancellation 8 weeks early. I was very lucky in retrospect.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PesCav View Post
Courtney, you are being amazingly patient with your long wait. My surgery was originally scheduled for March 15th but I picked up a cancellation 8 weeks early. I was very lucky in retrospect.
Awh thanks the waiting is the worst. And I've been in more and more pain. My OS nurse told me to go back into the boot to decrease the risk that I hurt another tendon. So I'm stuck in that...but I see my OS on the 20th, get my preop done and a haircut. So I have some things to look forward to. My birthday dinner is also the day before surgery...so that will keep my mind of the wait too.

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 02-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #35
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

Courtney, when I first read your post I thought you were going to OS for both the pre-op and the haircut! So I read it a second time and realize that the pre-op was with OS but haircut was a separate item. Good thing! I was wondering where the OS was going to cut hair!!!!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Courtney, when I first read your post I thought you were going to OS for both the pre-op and the haircut! So I read it a second time and realize that the pre-op was with OS but haircut was a separate item. Good thing! I was wondering where the OS was going to cut hair!!!!
Haha when I read that it made me laugh. I don't think my OS would do a good job cutting my hair...I think I will stick to my hair cutter lady haha. Its on the same day though the OS & preop is in the AM and my hair is in the evening. Its going to be a busy day on the 20th. Its the final countdown...dun dun dun haha

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
(female)

Glad I was able to give you a chuckle.

My husband is out snowmobiling. Do I dare going upstairs while he is not here?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

Give it a try...it can't be that bad. You gotta get to your sewing machine.

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #39
(female)

Yes, my dear sewing machine never goes this long w/o use. I enjoy making purses and totes but lately it seems like all I've been doing is quilts. And no one seems to want small ones so the are all queen size or king. so hard to work with all that fabric but I love it. Meanwhile since I am unable to go downstairs I am keeping busy by doing cross stitch.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-16-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #40
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh no. Tell your hubby you need to get to your sewing machine....or while hes out make a crawl for it haha.

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 02-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #41
(female)

He agreed for me to use stairs------carefully

Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #42
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
How did it go? Your mental health is as important as your physical! And if sewing can help you relax, then scoot up those steps. I had no choice and did stairs from day one... Sometimes sitting, sometimes with crutches. It is doable and once you figure it out its safe. Just make sure you're never in a hurry while on the stairs.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #43
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User

Quote:
I am two weeks post op. Staples are out, cast is on. My husband thinks I should not go up/down stairs. I'm willing to crawl on my butt but he thinks it is too dangerous and I might injure the foot. I would so love to go down to my sewing room in the basement.

Has anyone else after foot surgery gone up/down stairs and did you have any issues doing so? Please, I just want to see a different set of four walls!!!
Hi Ddill,

How are you doing? I hope you are doing good. I go back to the doctor on March 5th and hope to go into my brace and sneaker, but this weight bearing is really difficult for me and I am having a lot of pain in my heel. Hoping to get through this. I go up and down the stairs on my knee if you can. You place the knee down where the foot you had surgery onto the step and use your other leg to get up and down. It really works, assuming you have good knees. You just use your leg to go up and down. Hope this helps. Keep me informed as to your progress.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #44
(female)

punkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB User

I went up my glorious sweeping staircase the second night after surgery. My bedroom is up there, and the shower, and I refused to live my life in the family room on the sofa all the time! I go up and down on my butt, sometimes using a knee to go up. My husband brings up/down the knee walker. Kind of works out okay. Very tiring, but I make the most of small victories. And when you are going to be NWB for a very extended period, you need those. Sewing is a great pastime. I decided to work on our taxes this afternoon. It is productive and challenging, and takes my mind away from the fact that the kitchen is not really properly cleaned, laundry waiting to be done, vacuuming undone etc. Tomorrow I am going out to walk the dogs. I have to do it, home alone, and they cannot wait indefinitely. I will keep them on a leash and they are good, but it is daunting. So I look on the bright side, surgery last Friday, and less than a week later I am dog-walking. Perfect. I do wish there was a fast road to success with PTTD surgery tho.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #45
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin77 View Post
I went up my glorious sweeping staircase the second night after surgery. My bedroom is up there, and the shower, and I refused to live my life in the family room on the sofa all the time! I go up and down on my butt, sometimes using a knee to go up. My husband brings up/down the knee walker. Kind of works out okay. Very tiring, but I make the most of small victories. And when you are going to be NWB for a very extended period, you need those. Sewing is a great pastime. I decided to work on our taxes this afternoon. It is productive and challenging, and takes my mind away from the fact that the kitchen is not really properly cleaned, laundry waiting to be done, vacuuming undone etc. Tomorrow I am going out to walk the dogs. I have to do it, home alone, and they cannot wait indefinitely. I will keep them on a leash and they are good, but it is daunting. So I look on the bright side, surgery last Friday, and less than a week later I am dog-walking. Perfect. I do wish there was a fast road to success with PTTD surgery tho.

Yes I agree you have to have a lot of patience and I have spent many up and down days throughout this process. We all will get there eventually. I am so impressed that you can dog walk. Way to go. That's amazing. Sounds familiar. My husband brings my knee scooter up for me too in the evening since our bedrooms are upstairs too. Keep healing and keep up the positive attitude because it really is what gets you through this healing process. Yes I sewed some quilts for a lady who does quilts for the community. I hand sewed the edges with blind stitiches and that really kept me busy for many weeks. I did about 8 of them.

Closed Thread

Tags
1/31 surgery a2ptt reconstruction, achilles lengthening and allograft, tendon transfer