It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User
One month post-op update triple arthro

well, got the cast off last week and got a boot cast. that thing has its issues, as it sweats and stinks in there, and my skin has been really itchy. i had my foot up and rested it against something, but it was sideways, and heard some crunching on that side, but everything seems fine. i also pulled on my big toe and felt a crunch too. i bet when i first start walking theres going to be a lot of that. next appt is feb 26. hoping i can start crutch walking then. i got a knee walker which is great! i still crutch up the stairs though. i was taught how to do that after my first surgery, and am used to it. seeing some swelling on the inside part of my foot and on the bottom of my foot. it gets purple when it hangs down for too long. part of my foot has a tingly nerve feeling when run my hand over it. prob from a screw? a couple parts near the incision feel numb. had the staples removed then as well. i had a really bad callous on my heal from resting the heal too much.

External fixator and achilles lengthening around 12/14/10.

The Following User Says Thank You to newtotriparthro For This Useful Post:
tenderfoot (02-16-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User
Re: One month post-op update triple arthro

That is great!, you are 3 weeks ahead of me. Maybe you are wearing the boot tooo long. You shouldn't have it on unless you are standing. Try soaking your foot every day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

Hey there. Funny but I was told I need to wear it all the time except for twice a day. I gotta sleep w it on and was told I can't soak it yet. Have u started walking yet? I'm hoping I can start in a few weeks. I know there is swelling in a few places.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotriparthro View Post
Hey there. Funny but I was told I need to wear it all the time except for twice a day. I gotta sleep w it on and was told I can't soak it yet. Have u started walking yet? I'm hoping I can start in a few weeks. I know there is swelling in a few places.
Hmmm I am now confused. I got my cast off after 7 weeks but was not put into a boot until 10 weeks and that was when I was allowed to stand and walk as well as starting PT. Evenduring PT my boot was off. Since you are only one month out maybe you boot is different than mine. I had an air cast boot. The boot was used for 3 weeks and then into sneakers but using an ankle brace. I am now 20 weeks our tomorrow and walking with a slight limp. I still have tingling sensations and some numbness on some parts of my foot. I guess it takes 6 mos before getting back to normal.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

Wow I'm just as confused as your situation sounds typical. I had a splint for 2 weeks cast for 2 weeks and now air boot cast. Next appt is on Feb 26. I'm on antibiotics as I thought one of the scars was getting infected. After the staples came out part of my foot started swelling. Im allowed 2 do range of motion up and down when I take the boot cast off. What do your first steps feel like?

Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

I went from split cast to the boot at my first post op....nonweight bearing, of course, and had to wear it 24/7 except for bathing. Once the incisions are all healed & you can soak that foot, you will be amazed at the dead skin that will roll off that thing!!! My boot got really stinky too. I broke down & washed the liner. It is spongy & takes forever to dry. I threw it in the dryer ( instructions say air dry) but I wasn't supposed to be out of the boot so I couldn't wait all day! It did shrink some so be careful if you do this. In my case my swelling had started to go down & leg muscles h a d atrophied so the boot was getting really loose....after drying it was snug again.

I had a love/ hate relationship with that boot!! Loved the protection, but hated the weight, hated sleeping in it....so bulky..it was good for pwb with crutches but I could not walk in that thing with out crutches...it was just too clunky. I am finally wearing my nikes at almost 4 months and starting to walk a bit. Hang in there you guys!!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

wow great to hear im not the only one who got an air cast early. it is definitely a pain, but hopefully in a few weeks i can start some weight bearing with crutches. those of u who started walking after so long, did ur foot and/or ankle make any strange noises? when i tried to put the air cast on earlier today, i pulled the strap snug and felt some crunchy sound around my big toe and under the foot.

Closed Thread