It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

climbersam HB User
Aircast Issues

A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with a stressed second metatarsal in my right foot. I injured my foot years (I think 4 years!) ago but a podiatrist had told me it was probably a tendon problem. He gave me a cortisone shot and sent me on my way.

So, many years of working on my feet and rock climbing later, I recently went to a different podiatrist and the MRI said it was the beginning of a stress fracture. The doctor gave me an aircast to wear for 6 weeks. By the time I went to the doc, my pain was down to a 2 in normal day-to-day. When I did activity it was worse of course.

But for some reason I just can't get this aircast to be comfortable. I've tried it every way I could think of for two weeks and I think I finally have it to its most comfortable position. However, my foot felt WAY better before without the boot! I called the doctor and the nurse told me that I just needed to be off of my feet. Not very helpful.

Is it typical for an aircast to cause even more pain than before?

Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
Re: Aircast Issues

I have never had a broken bone or stress fracture, so I may not be much help. But I know for myself everytime I have been put into a boot/air cast (for a sprain or surgery) I have way more pain than if I was "toughing it out" in running shoes. Unfortunately I think rest is going to be the best thing to help heal your injury.
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

The Following User Says Thank You to Erie0385 For This Useful Post:
climbersam (02-18-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Climber, does your air cast have chambers that can be adjusted? Mine came with a hand held bulb which can be used to inflate/deflate four air chambers to support my ankle to my level of comfort. the air cast actually feels most comfortable.

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
climbersam (02-18-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

[QUOTE=climbersam;5133364]A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with a stressed second metatarsal in my right foot. I injured my foot years (I think 4 years!) ago but a podiatrist had told me it was probably a tendon problem. He gave me a cortisone shot and sent me on my way.

So, many years of working on my feet and rock climbing later, I recently went to a different podiatrist and the MRI said it was the beginning of a stress fracture. The doctor gave me an aircast to wear for 6 weeks. By the time I went to the doc, my pain was down to a 2 in normal day-to-day. When I did activity it was worse of course.

But for some reason I just can't get this aircast to be comfortable. I've tried it every way I could think of for two weeks and I think I finally have it to its most comfortable position. However, my foot felt WAY better before without the boot! I called the doctor and the nurse told me that I just needed to be off of my feet. Not very helpful.

Is it typical for an aircast to cause even more pain than before?[/QUOTE]

I can't stand the boot and the aircast I had. The first one was awful..so I got another one(the one I use now) but I hate the boot. I have the same amount of pain in the boot as out of it, the only thing it keeps me from doing is walking on the outside of my foot. Did you let some of the air out of the aircast? I have no air at all in mine

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

The Following User Says Thank You to ohitscourtney For This Useful Post:
climbersam (02-18-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
(female)

climbersam HB User

The nurse inflated it at the office and gave me the bulb. I'm silly, so I walked around with it painfully inflated for a few days before realizing I should deflate it. Now it's nearly completely deflated, but I'm really thin so I need some air so that my heel doesn't slide.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

[QUOTE=climbersam;5133398]The nurse inflated it at the office and gave me the bulb. I'm silly, so I walked around with it painfully inflated for a few days before realizing I should deflate it. Now it's nearly completely deflated, but I'm really thin so I need some air so that my heel doesn't slide.[/QUOTE]

You can also tighten/loosen the cloth piece that goes on the bottom from one side of the splint to the other side of the splint. It should have velcro to make the space smaller/wider for your foot, etc. Does that make sense?

The Following User Says Thank You to joyful123 For This Useful Post:
climbersam (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
Also, every time you take it off you have to deflate it and reinflate it when you put it back on. Go in the order of the numbers by the pump sites. Mine hurt and felt awful when I got lazy and didn't deflate and inflate it in between wearing it... You don't want your foot wiggling around in there but the air shifts when it's removed...

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

The Following User Says Thank You to Snowrunner For This Useful Post:
climbersam (02-18-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

I must have the only comfortable one.

I did find that it fit better with some cotton behind the heel. It didn't need as much air, and took up some of the 'blank' space b/w my achilles tendon and the boot. When I first got it, I put cotton over the front of my foot where the stitches were to keep it from rubbing.

Closed Thread