It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User
Scooter Scare

I am a week post op from my surgery and have been using a knee scooter to get around from bed to bathroom to couch. Late last night, I needed some things and didn't want to wake my husband up, so I took my scooter and went to get them (pillow and meds). Well I had the brilliant idea of putting the pillow on the knee seat (don't ever do this!) kneeled on the pillow and off I went down the hall to the living room (all stone tiles down the hall and thru the kitchen to living room). Do you see it coming? Yep. The pillow slipped, and down I went, scooter and all. I knew I was going to smack my surgery foot on the floor, so I threw my body to the right to land on my "good side". I still ended up hitting the lateral side of my foot and ankle on the floor but my right knee took the brunt of my fall. Now normally, that wouldn't be a big deal but I just had a torn meniscus removed from that knee in Sept 2012. It hasn't been feeling so great and still swells off and on, even after 6 wks of PT. So, I was worried to start with about my knee being the bearer of all my weight during recovery from ankle surgery. Now the knee is swollen again and I definately feel some increased soreness. I also had a throbbing surgery ankle. Scared the you know what out of me. There I sat, on the floor, scooter upended and I just started crying and crying. My poor hubby woke up and came running out of the bedroom and freaked out. I just had a big melt down and couldn't stop crying for about 10 mins. Sweetheart that hubby is, he understood and just sat next to me on the floor and put my hurt leg across his lap and let me cry it out. He checked my bandage and wrapped foot to make sure there wasn't any blood showing through...none. Then he helped me up and got me to the couch. There I sat, both legs elevated and icing my knee plus my ankle. The knee still hurts. I hope I didn't do further damage. The surgery ankle seems ok...I could feel some pain right in the area of the peroneal tendon, but it does seem ok now.

No matter how many threads I read before I had this surgery, I wasn't prepared fro how hard it is to do the simplest things. So frustrating and where do these emotional outbursts come from? I had another one taking my shower tonight. I just tell my husband to ignore them. lol I'm so over the top emotional this past week. It is slowly dawning on me how very traumatic this surgery I had was and how long it will take to recover. In the past, I have returned to work after having knee surgeries within days, the longest time I stayed out was a week. I think my co-workers think that the surgery I just had is just a little more involved than the knee scopes. One of them just asked me today if I have tried walking yet. I can't blame them because I think I was basically thinking the same way before my surgery. Reality is hitting me in the face this week and I hate being so dependent on my husband for everything. But, I pushed myself a little too much and look at the consequences. I have learned my lesson. I get my splint removed next Monday, and I think I'm getting a cast then. Hopefully, I haven't damaged anything when I hit my foot on the floor.

The following 7 users give hugs of support to: lauralei51
Btrfli1 (02-16-2013), exdancer2 (02-15-2013), ginger62 (02-15-2013), Grumpstress (02-15-2013), Hollywood48 (02-16-2013), ohitscourtney (02-15-2013), Troly59 (02-15-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: Scooter Scare

Hang in there Laura. I did the exact same thing except I was week 10 and should surely have known better. I also took a complete header over the scooter on my second day home. That's another lesson...don't overload your basket or turn too far to look over your shoulder. After you get the bulky splint off it should be a lot easier for you to navigate. Don't feel bad for feeling bad. This is a big surgery and a big recovery. You'll find your groove soon and get some routines established. And then you will get so bored you'll want to cry about that!
Hugs,
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Also, you might want to look back through the board. I think LabGimp (Katy) started a thread in December (maybe?) with all kinds of scooter tips. We all kicked in on it, there was some good info.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
(female)

PamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB User

I totally can understand your frustration with being unable to take care of yourself. It does get easier, but you can only do so much on that scooter. And you must remember, your body is healing, so you need the rest. You are doing lots of work - you are getting better. What would your hubby rather have you do, ask him to get you something or have you get it and hurt yourself further?

As far as the emotional outburst, I think we can all relate to that. So much going on that causes that problem - pain, frustration, the meds, the anesthetic from the surgery (yes it stays around for a bit) etc. Just take a deep breath and let the tears out if you need to.

Try to find something you can do laying down to make yourself feel productive. Type up your recipes, start reading that book you always meant to read, go through pictures and organize them etc. I am busy myself with planning a benefit and a big event in April. Thankfully a lot of what needs to be done can be done via email and phone calls.

And remember, we all understand here! So be careful and don't be hard on yourself!

The Following User Says Thank You to PamS1970 For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
(female)

denise7345 HB User

Aww..waves of sympathy..8 weeks out of surgery and also had a marvellous fall from my knee scooter at 3 weeks and sobbed on the floor at the time for ten minutes much to my families horror, thinking I'd undone all the surgery and also torn my 3 month old menisiscus repair. Yes its awful having to be dependent but the knee scooter (and lift chair) was a life saver...I'm reluctant to give it back!

The Following User Says Thank You to denise7345 For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
(female)

Troly59 HB UserTroly59 HB User

Laura, no matter how prepared we think we are for this surgery, it isn't until the trying moments of helplessness, frustration, anger, anxiety and fear,that we realize this surgery is WAY more intense than even the Dr led us to believe. At 5 1/2 months post op I am hit with mainly anxiety and fear, that I will never be able to hike again or even return to my job. All we can do is take each day as it comes and do what we can to make baby steps forward to the best recovery. Hang in there emotions are normal just don't let them control you.
Riding my scooter around and around a park when I hit a 1/8 th inch lip in the side walk and went flying. I was so worried in slow motion I was going to break my wrists. Then I was more upset no one came over to see if I needed help.

Last edited by Troly59; 02-15-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

The following user gives a hug of support to Troly59:
lauralei51 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
(female)

Laura, no matter how prepared we think we are for this surgery, it isn't until the trying moments of helplessness, frustration, anger, anxiety and fear,that we realize this surgery is WAY more intense than even the Dr led us to believe. At 5 1/2 months post op I am hit with mainly anxiety and fear, that I will never be able to hike again or even return to my job. All we can do is take each day as it comes and do what we can to make baby steps forward to the best recovery. Hang in there emotions are normal just don't let them control you.
Riding my scooter around and around a park when I hit a 1/8 th inch lip in the side walk and went flying. I was so worried in slow motion I was going to break my wrists. Then I was more upset no one came over to see if I needed help.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

Oh Troly, you feel off your scooter outside? Awwww. People can be so totally oblivious can't they? I have taken so many falls in the past years in front of people that I have lost count. Many of those times resulted in torn meniscus surgeries. I always thought my knees suck, but now I'm beginning to think it was my feet and ankles that suck, causing me to go down. I have fallen at work, on hard terrazo floors at least 5 major times that I can vividly remember...always in front of people. The last time, I tripped over a dog's leash as he suddenly dashed across the room in front of me as I was headed down the hall. I totally got clotheslined...sloooooowwww motion fall. lol I even turned mid fall so that I didn't land on my knees. I landed on my wrists and my butt. I remember the faces looking at me in horror...the owner of the dog was white faced. I jumped up and said I was fine...but I ended up spraining my wrist. Geez. And now I think I shall blame my ankles and feet.

Hopefully, this surgery will help me out with all that.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Oh Lauralei, I am such an emotional blob lately....I burst into tears reading your post!! I could never be a nurse....seeing people in pain....I would be bawling all day!! I only really biffed it once on the scooter...wouldn't you know it it was in frontof my daughter & her new bf that she brought home for xmas. I had my boot off because I had started working on range of motion exercises....went to the kitchen on the scooter & somehow managed to slip off & caught my big toe on the floor, bending it backwards.@#&%**:•\$ I am not sure what came out of my mouth, but I am sure a truck driver would have been embarassed! And of course the tears started!! I thought I had broken the toe...which had had jointwork done...after the pain settled, I actually had better motion in it! My PT said I had broken scar tissue loose. A lucky accident...

I hope y ou are feeling better today....take it easy on yourself!!! This is your vacation!!! Call the staff for help when you can!!! Ha ha....some vacation, huh?! Life at the spa....

Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

I'm really sorry you got hurt, Laura. As I've said many times, I think we all tend to be type A personalities, tend to want to do everything for ourselves, right now, and find it hard to sit still and have others do for us,,,,,,,sound familiar???? I'm sure the answer is YES!!! I too got antsy, tried to make myself toast one morning, fell, and I trying to protect the surgical foot, broke a toe on my good foot. That toe is having a terrible time healing!! Who would have known that? So, the lesson to us all is patience, patience, patience. Not only for good healing, but to prevent additional injuries!!!! Stay well.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
(female)

Wow, ladies, it sure feels good to know I'm not a freak...we're ALL freaks! lol
Today was a great day! I didn't move much at all, just hunkered down on my bed, with the tv and my dogs and my hubby and watched movies and HGTV all day. And took a nap. No pain...yay! I haven't taken any pain meds in 2 days.

So....things are looking up! Thank you so much for the support. It helps so much.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
(female)

Glad you had a great painless day. I have to say I have enjoyed my days of leisure TV movies, books,music, swimming, even planted a few things in the garden yesterday.
Have felt my B/p decrease. This all must help the healing... Wishing you more comfortable days.

Closed Thread