It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
(female)

vdcbridal HB User
Wink Foot and leg very cold after bunion surgery

I'm 3 weeks post bunion osteotomy and tailors bunion ostotomy on left foot. I'm non-weight bearing and on crutches for at least 2 more weeks. I want to know if anyone has experience this: I noticed about 5 days ago that my left foot was very cold compared to the non-surgical foot. Then 3 days ago, the coldness is all the way up above my left knee and down through my toes. It actually wakes me up during the night if my left leg touches my right leg because it is so cold. I saw the doctor a week ago (of course this didn't happen until the next day) and do not go back for 2 more weeks.

Also, I'm wondering when I will start physical therapy and how long it will last. All they told me was to start moving my big toe. My foot is still very swollen (especially the bottom) but from what I've read on here, that seems normal.

I have to have my other foot done (bunion and tailor's bunion) when I can get more time off from work.

Any replies from others experiencing the extreme difference in temperature in the surgical foot vs the non-surgical foot and physical therapy experiences would be appreciated. Thank you so much

Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
Re: Foot and leg very cold after bunion surgery

The coldness may be nothing, but It could be a serious circulation problem. I would try and put in a call to the dr before the weekend. That way you can get an answer and calm your worries.
Good luck!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
(female)

PamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB User

The fact it came on all the sudden and is getting worse means you should call your Dr. And do it before the weekend.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
(female)

vdcbridal HB User

Thank you both for your input. I agree with you. I've actually called the doctor's office yesterday and today and have talked to the receptionist twice and asked her to have the doctor call me (I gave her a detailed description of what's going on so she could tell him). So far, I haven't gotten any calls back. Hopefully he will call. I appreciate your thoughts:-) Have a great weekend.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
(female)

Did the Dr office get back to you? Is it any better?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
(female)

vdcbridal HB User

The nurse called Friday night and she wasn't sure if that was normal but would talk to the doctor Monday and get back to me. There's still a big difference in the temperature of my left legend foot vs the right. It doesn't hurt much, just swollen and cold. I think it's odd, but who knows, maybe they'll say it's normal?

Does anyone know when rehab normally starts on a bunion osteotomy along with a tailors bunion osteotomy? I'm supposed to start traveling again on business starting 2 weeks. I'll be gone for 3 months then have my other foot done.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
(female)

How is the coldness in your leg? Did your dr talk with you about it?

That would just freak me out. My feet do get cold, but when they are, both are the same temperature.

Hope you are doing OK!

Pam

Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
(female)

vdcbridal HB User
Unhappy Re: Foot and leg very cold after bunion surgery

HI Pam

Thank you so much for asking! I've been kind of frustrated with this. I first called a week ago and just got a call back yesterday. They said its ok for my foot to get cold sometimes and she brought up that if I wanted they could send me for a test to see if I've developed a blood clot, but they did not think it was a possibility. I hadn't even thought about a blood clot. I again explained that it was not an occassional thing, but that my foot and leg all the way up above my knee was 6-8 degrees colder than my other leg and foot. I told her I have a genetic condition in my family that causes blood clots and to please mention that to the doctor. I have never had a clot, but my sister and my niece both had clots in the last few months. I then asked her about physical therapy because the doctor told me I'd start when I got my stitches out (that was 2 weeks ago), but they did not start it at that time. She said, "Oh wow, you should have been started when you had your stitches out). So, she set me up for this afternoon.

It just seems like there has been no information from the doctor concerning rehab after surgery, or just how long and involved the healing process would be. I wasn't told anything other than what to do the first 48 hours. The surgery itself was fine, the staff at the center were awesome, and I like the doctor generally. I've gotten really suggestions on the HealthBoard, which I really appreciate! When I get my other foot done, I will be a lot more prepared, thanks to nice people on here.

Thank you so much!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
(male)

Lightbluecast HB User

I just put up a thread about using an infrared heater in your room. I don't know if this will help, but it helped me. When I tried to cover my cast up with a blanket to warm my foot up it would seem to get too hot. The heat from my furnace was not regular. It would either get too cold or too hot it seemed. I especially had trouble with the cold feeling in the morning. The infrared heater keeps the temp even. Also, I would suggest if you have drafts from windows or doors to get those sealed up.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
(female)

vdcbridal HB User

Hi Michael,

The heater sounds like a great idea! I have one in a closet that even has a remote control. I'm going to try that tonight! Thank you!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

I would take the nurse up on the offer to check for a blood clot -- better safe than sorry. Is there a reason you didn't?

Last edited by PesCav; 02-20-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
(female)

vdcbridal HB User

I ended up going back to the doctor's office to start PT. When the physical therapist felt my foot and leg, she said, "Oh my gosh...your foot and leg are freezing". She had started putting electrodes on my foot and leg so she could start therapy. When she found out I had a history of epilepsy as a child, she said she could not do therapy as it could triger a seizure. She said she thought I should be checked for a blood clot and then asked the doctor on call (not my doctor) to come feel how cold my leg and foot were. The doctor came and said, "You don't have a blood clot, I thing you might have RSD, or complex regional pain syndrome (the new name for RSD). She said I need to see a pain management doctor to tested for it and that any physical therapy was on hold until I see my doctor, which will be this Thursday. I told her my pain was not out of the ordinary and I really did not think I had a pain disorder, but she insisted. My foot is still extremely swollen so she said to continue to elevate it, but not to put icepacks on it. My foot gets so swollen by the time evening comes, that the back of my toes have started to split, along with my incisions. It's pretty painful during the night. I think the swelling causes the pain.

So, I'm wondering if anyone out there was diagnosed with RSD, or CRPS following their surgery?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
(female)

When you are elevating it, how are you doing it? Your toes should be above your nose. Even sitting in a recliner is not enough. You need to be laying down with it up on at least 2 pillows, or better yet, a leg wedge. And with it that swollen, I would have it up as much as possible, even when you sleep.

Good luck!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
(female)

vdcbridal HB User

Thanks Pam!

I'm not elevating it as high as you suggest. I am certainly going to give it a try. I've only been elevating it on one pillow. During the day I"m not able to elevate it as much as I'd like. I guess I thought I would not have such severe swelling 5 weeks after my surgery. Thank you so much for the advice!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
(female)

vdcbridal HB User

Thanks Pam!

I'm not elevating it as high as you suggest. I am certainly going to give it a try. I've only been elevating it on one pillow. During the day I"m not able to elevate it as much as I'd like. I guess I thought I would not have such severe swelling 5 weeks after my surgery. Thank you so much for the advice!

Closed Thread