It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User
Help! My 'good' foot is killing me!

Hi everyone
Woke up this morning and my good foot is so painful, I know I went to work last week, but I did take it easy and was sat at my desk most of the time.
I have put the ice cuff round it and taken anti inflammation pills but now I am really panicking, what if its not going to last? I still have 10 days left till the cast is removed? And then into boot?
Anyone else suffered this, or is it just normal because it is taking all the strain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User
Re: Help! My 'good' foot is killing me!

You poor thing!! Can totally relate! Mine was like this and still is now at different times. The physio actually said to me that he could not use it as a guide to check the ROM of the one that had the surgery because it was 'too loose'.
Doing physio exercises with the 'good foot/ankle' as well as the other one, to hopefully strengthen it. But some days, it hurts in two spots in particular.
Hang in there!! It does improve when you can start to weight bear on the other one - well, it did for me
Oh - I stayed away from work until I could FWB (in ankle brace and runner - still elevating for parts of the day)........didn't try to go back until then - so I probably stayed off the 'good' leg more than I would have if I had gone back to work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal1968 View Post
Hi everyone
Woke up this morning and my good foot is so painful, I know I went to work last week, but I did take it easy and was sat at my desk most of the time.
I have put the ice cuff round it and taken anti inflammation pills but now I am really panicking, what if its not going to last? I still have 10 days left till the cast is removed? And then into boot?
Anyone else suffered this, or is it just normal because it is taking all the strain?
My good foot hurt with my last two surgries and it hurts from time to time while I'm waiting for my 3rd. Its normal. Its just bearing all the weight and I feel for the poor thing. I feel like my left foot is abused snice I relay on it to hold me up and keep most of my weight even before surgery. Once your into the boot and can bear some weight on the "bad" foot it really helps the "good" foot feel better. I hope your recovery is going well though

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Old 02-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
(female)

hida HB Userhida HB Userhida HB User

Animal,

You poor thing, I can totally sympathise. My right foot was taking all my body weight and was really starting to suffer. I got the go ahead to weightbear on my left foot on Tuesday and boy is it helping my right foot. My PT has advised me to massage the sore areas on my right foot, use hot and cold packs on my ankle and to use a theraband to exercise the calf and Achilles.

Hope this helps and hang on in there you won't know yourself once that cast comes off.

Zahida

Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Animal, totally normal. I actually commented to my surgeon that I was concerned my "good foot" was going. Was told it's normal and to try to rest it. In my case I was told it is from over compensating and having all my weight on one foot. Resting it did help.
Left PTT Repair, FDL Tendon Transfer, Calcaneal Osteotomy, 1st Metatarsal Fusion, Spring Lig. Rep., Mod. McBride, Akin Osteotomy, Iliac Crest, Achilles Lengthening, Bone Marrow Asp., FHL/FDL Tenodesis

Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
(female)

Troly59 HB UserTroly59 HB User

Yes,my good leg PTT was hurting before the surgery,then it became horrible while using the knee scooter. I was riding it a mile a day post op months. I had to be outside. Fearing another surgery on the good foot I stopped using the scooter. PT use US,Stim and ice on it. I also did something to my knee, with all that scooter time,I can't kneel without a sharp stabbing pain. Now that I am walking,it has gotten a lot better, but I feel like the pain is still lurking in there waiting to become aggravated again.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Everyone here is correct. I have so many sets of orthotics. I picked the heaviest and biggest one to put on the nonsurgical foot in order to protect it I'm so worried that I would need surgery on that foot at some point. Now that I am partial weight bearing it is much better. And I do not look forward to wearing orthotics in both shoes again. Not just the skimpy orthotics but the really heavy ones. And now that I am partial weight bearing I am icing my foot continuously after Having the boot on for four or five or six hours. Hang in there. I'm trying to be easy on yourself. My PT said this is the most difficult surgery that the OS does. I hope nobody else asks me are you walking yet? Take care.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Animal, can you take a break from work and rest more? Maybe work partltime? I imagine trying to work and heal at the same time is putting huge strain on your good leg.

Pesher, you should ask about getting new carbon fiber orthotics -- all the strength without the bulk. Despite the yuck factor, I think I will get braces when my surgeries are done in order to get power in my step.

I have babied my so-called good foot, too, which also requires surgery down the road, but less extensive surgery. Even in the house, even to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I wear a shoe on it. Unless our injuries and surgeries are from accidents, I imagine we all have lousy "good" feet, and our weak feet account for knee and hip problems eventually.

Last edited by PesCav; 02-16-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Content

Old 02-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

I will ask about carbon fiber orthos...thanks. And...I ask put a shoe with ortho on to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Question.... As I am now using the rolling walker, and doing well, do I HOP in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom w the walker, or go back to using the scooter to get there? I can't imagine putting on the boot at 2 am just to go pp. What do you do? Thanks.
Pesher

The Following User Says Thank You to Pesher For This Useful Post:
Troly59 (02-17-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

So you hop on your nonsurgical foot in the middle of the night?? Lol, I don't hop, period, because of my CMT, which is why steps are killing me. And I am still casted, so I haven't had to worry about how to handle the boot in the middle of the night. Sigh, one more thing for me to worry about. I wish I could offer some insightful advice, hopefully those more experienced will step in.

The Following User Says Thank You to PesCav For This Useful Post:
Pesher (02-16-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

It's normal. My good foot sucks too. It got bad enough earlier this fall that after the sprained bad foot sorta/mostly/kinda healed, I had the good foot in a boot for 2-3 weeks. I have a plastic lace-up brace for both ankles. Crutches scare the crap out of me, not b/c I'm worried about falling or steps, but all of the strain on my good foot. My PT has put almost as much work into the good foot as the bad foot. OS told me the best I can do after surgery is wear the brace on it & cross my fingers.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, just wanted to say to keep a good shoe on the good foot all the time. I know it's probably been said but its true. Don't take those short cuts, and you know you do! Lol! My dr suggested new balance. I switched between those and birenstocks, because it seemed to help with pain when I changed shoes. Good luck, cathy

Closed Thread