It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
(female)

hida HB Userhida HB Userhida HB User
Foot swelling after cast removal

I am looking some advice. I had my cast removed 10 days ago after being NWB for 12 weeks followed by WB in the cast for 4 weeks. I was told by my OS to stay an air cast boot for 2 weeks and progress to a shoe.

I have struggled in the aircast boot with soreness so have been in a sneaker for about 5 days. My PT agreed that I could use the sneaker in the house but use the boot when out and about. I feel as though I have regressed as I am back on crutches, whereas as I could walk without crutches weightbearing in a cast.

My foot, calf and knee have been swollen since the cast came off. I keep my leg elevated and iced when not walking. My heel gets sore when I walk on it, my foot swells in the sneaker ( I am wearing one of my husbands as mine won't fit).

I know it is early days with regards to pain when walking, but can anyone give me an indication as to when the swelling will improve? I am not due to see my OS until June but I am having PT twice a week until then.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Foot swelling after cast removal

A compression sock helps. I wore one from when I started walking until around the 10th month. I suppose I could still wear one sometimes, but I don't.

The first 2-3 months after weight bearing, are still rough at times.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Some suggestions: I personally do 30 foot pumps then ice for 20 minutes three times a day now, and elevated whenever I can. My PT messages to move the fluid out of my foot 3x per week. And I do gentle exercises that PT recommends, which also helps with circulating fluids and reducing swelling.

Icing is controversial, a growing body of evidence says that it inhibits recovery. You should ask your doctor what he recommends. Mine said no icing, but the PT says ice. Since I am working with the PT now, I do what she says, which is actually pretty modest as far as icing goes.

Of course, you are also pregnant, some of your swelling could be normal hormonal swelling. Best wishes!!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PesCav View Post
Some suggestions: I personally do 30 foot pumps then ice for 20 minutes three times a day now, and elevated whenever I can. My PT messages to move the fluid out of my foot 3x per week. And I do gentle exercises that PT recommends, which also helps with circulating fluids and reducing swelling.

Icing is controversial, a growing body of evidence says that it inhibits recovery. You should ask your doctor what he recommends. Mine said no icing, but the PT says ice. Since I am working with the PT now, I do what she says, which is actually pretty modest as far as icing goes.

Of course, you are also pregnant, some of your swelling could be normal hormonal swelling. Best wishes!!
My PT has given me a theraband to work my foot, she is doing massage and has suggested icing too. I agree the pregnancy is contributing to the swelling as my right ankle has started swelling too. My left foot is swollen underneath and across the top, I asked my PT if my foot would ever return to a normal size, she reassured me that it would.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

My surgeon warned me that my foot would always be more swollen looking than before surgery or when compared to my other foot. I hope he is wrong!!!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Hiya
I still am not doing PT, should I be?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I think you should be, animal. I'm not sure if you have swelling or not, but I do and I think all of the message and gentle exercise is really helping with that, as well as breaking up scar tissue and regaining flexibility. Is it difficult to get PT care in England?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

My dr has never mentioned it? I massage my scars with cream, and yes still swollen when I get in every night but, I try to wiggle it around and do the alphabet which I have heard other people talk about. Well not due to go back for 3 weeks so will have to wait and see? If I'm honest my foot feels no different than before the surgery, apart from the surgery pain?

Z4hidap- do you remember I went through that too! Yet got to Monday, and suddenly heel pain was gone, walked about with no crutches, got achy toward the end of the day, but was ok the next day, hang in there this seems to be a major roller coaster ride, not only with pain, but with our emotions too x

Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
(female)

Animal I remember when I was weightbearing in my cast that the first couple of weeks were hard and the pain did get better. Yes I think you should be doing PT, we really pushed the doctor about starting PT when I had the cast removed. Initially he said I had to stay in an aircast boot for 6 weeks and no PT. He then went and spoke to the consultant who reviewed my x-rays and then told me aircast boot for 2 weeks and progress to shoes. He also said I could start PT, I have pretty good ROM and she thinks I will make a good recovery.

I would ring your doctor and push for PT....the one thing I have learned is you really have to keep asking questions at your follow ups because the doctor wont volunteer much.

Zerk my PT has told me not wear compression socks as my knee and calf are pretty swollen.

Closed Thread