It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
(female)

SajMrj HB User
Question Walking boot after broken ankle

So I broke my tibia falling off a curb and fractured the other bone.
I had surgery 6 weeks ago and just got cleared Monday for a walking boot.

It is now Wednesday and I cant let go of the crutches is this normal? I have tried one and none but I keep almost falling over. So two it is I got good at two and loving my freedom. But I would love to loose the crutches.

I have a 20 month old and miss taking her to the park and being active with her.
Its my right foot and I have been having to drive for weeks now. Husband works long hours and took 4 weeks off after my break and can not miss anymore work.

I have told myself that I wont use my wheel chair anymore. But I have found by the end of the day I am in so much pain that I just cant walk anymore. I don't need pain killers or anything But to take another step I just want to cry.

Any advice? I have gone shopping and stiff over the last couple of days. So tired of fast food its not even funny.

How can I get off the crutches and how long will it take me..
I also have my first day of physical therapy today.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
(female)

SajMrj HB User
Re: Walking boot after broken ankle

Well Physical therapy went well. Learned my exercises and cleared to walk on one crutch. But not none for a week or so.

Not much pain yet lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
(female)

SajMrj HB User

Bump anyone with how long it took them to get off there crutches?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

[QUOTE=SajMrj;5150332]Well Physical therapy went well. Learned my exercises and cleared to walk on one crutch. But not none for a week or so.

Not much pain yet lol.[/QUOTE]

I had brostrum repair last year and I had to wean myself off crutches, even in walking boot. It took me a couple weeks to go down to one crutch and then eventually to no crutches....hang in there!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
(female)

Newleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB User

The length of time it takes can be very individualized. You had a significant injury and surgery on top of it. I am guessing it took you a little while to get comfortable using the crutches at first and it will take a little while getting used to walking without them especially wearing a walking boot as they usually have a rocker bottom and often times are either a little higher or lower than your other shoe. I think now that you have started therapy you will find that you will adapt to the changes a little faster. Also don't be afraid to ask your physical therapist for tips on how to change to one crutch and the walking boot successfully, that is part of their job to help you adapt to the changes as well as help you improve your strength, gait, range of motion and decrease your pain levels.

Hang in there, build some confidence and before you know it you will be without the crutches and having fun at the park again.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
(female)

SajMrj HB User

Thanks you she did show me how to go to one but she said if one is to much weight go to two. It was nice to be a me to walk without the boot from table to table with the help of both crutches of course. I know I am not ready for none. I am six weeks from surgery. With a plate and 4 screws.

Is it worth it to me to get one of those gel ice packs? Or not?

Is there a good cheap shoe to buy to match my boot I have running shoes and that's all. All I wanted to do and was training for when I broke my ankle was a half marathon.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

I have a pair of clogs/mules with about a 2" heel (and a 1" sole) that matches my boot. It's a good shoe, but not cheap. I've spent enough time in the boot, that it was worth the $$. The alternative is an Even-Up. If I mention how much it is the Mods will slap me.

I like the gel ice packs and use them frequently.

Last edited by wilkinak; 03-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
(female)

SajMrj HB User

Thanks I am only suppose to be in the boot a month according to my ortho. But not sure how that will work. Considering I am almost a week out and still on two crutches so expensive not worth it.

I need to follow thru with my foot. I am not and am like pick up drop foot and I think that's why I am having issues.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
(female)

SajMrj HB User

I gained some range of motion in just 2 days yes I measured lol.

I took it easy today cause my ankle was sore. But did my exercises 3 times.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
(female)

Newleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB User

I absolutely love my gel ice packs! I have a couple from various injuries and such over the years. They are so nice to have to put on any bumps or bruises you or your family members may get. I purchased a really nice, expensive one almost 15 years ago. It has payed for itself many times over between all the ankle injuries, knee surgery and back problems. However you can purchase some that are smaller and less expensive. The nice thing about them is that they are soft and relatively light weight, they mold well to your injured part and can be used over and over again for years.

I am NWB, so I don't have any suggestions regarding a shoe that will work well with the boot, but I am curious to know what will work once I can walk.

I am glad to hear that you have already gained some rom! Keep up the home exercises and take care.

Closed Thread