It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User
14 weeks Post op PTTD - PT

I'm 14 weeks post op with my next post op visit at 15 weeks. Hopefully, all will look good and I will transition to a shoe. I'm a bit concerned with my foot and expectations of where my foot "should" be after PT.

I've been going to PT 3xweek and doing my exercises 2-3 times per day as directed. My big toe moves but is not even close to moving like my other big toe. I'm really concerned about this. My foot moves somewhat ok but is limited in movement due to the swelling. Pointing my toes is challenging and part of my PT routine.

I'd like to know about your experiences. I know everyone heals at different paces. I'm also anxious that some of my limited movement, especially in my big toe, are signs that more surgery may be needed. ( My OS had warned me that I could lose ROM if my big toe didn't move more.)
Thank you!
Left PTT Repair, FDL Tendon Transfer, Calcaneal Osteotomy, 1st Metatarsal Fusion, Spring Lig. Rep., Mod. McBride, Akin Osteotomy, Iliac Crest, Achilles Lengthening, Bone Marrow Asp., FHL/FDL Tenodesis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User
Re: 14 weeks Post op PTTD - PT

I am 16 weeks post op, so a few weeks ahead of you I guess, but you had more procedures done than I did. I have been going to PT since week 7 twice a week. I got the okay this week to drop to one time a week and I think I'll probably be done in the next few weeks assuming all goes well with once a week. My next doctor's appt is in a month, so I think that's when I'll get the "official" ok to finish PT. Most of what I'm doing now at PT is strength and balance. I have ROM back in my ankle (she said 10-15 is normal, and I'm at 10...so it still has room to improve). I can walk on my toes again, and can do a heel raise again on one foot (yay, that just happened this week, it's been a LONG time since I could do that). I was also able to start the ellipitical this week, another thing that caused me a lot of pain before surgery. I'm definitely still dealing with swelling, I can tell the days when I do too much and it really limits my ROM. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at but I feel like I still have soooo far to go to get back to "normal."

I've never had any issues with my big toe, but I hear many others do with this surgery, so I don't really have any comparison there.

I really feel like in the last 2-3 weeks I've made huge leaps in my progress. I've heard 4-6 months out is where you see the most progress, and for me, that seems to be true.

Not sure how helpful this is!

The Following User Says Thank You to NCgirl96 For This Useful Post:
PesCav (04-02-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

NCgirl, Thank you - very helpful!
I have no one to compare with. I'm at 10 ROM for my foot but am probably a bit behind you due to the additional procedures I have had. Also good to know that the last 2-3 weeks you've seen big leaps of improvement. I noticed in the last three nights I'm finally sleeping better and not waking every hour from discomfort and pain. Yay! I'm hoping I experience the same noticeable improvements.

When you went from boot to shoe was it a gradual transition or straight to shoe?
Thank you!
Left PTT Repair, FDL Tendon Transfer, Calcaneal Osteotomy, 1st Metatarsal Fusion, Spring Lig. Rep., Mod. McBride, Akin Osteotomy, Iliac Crest, Achilles Lengthening, Bone Marrow Asp., FHL/FDL Tenodesis

Old 03-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Well, I guess it was supposed to be straight to the shoe from the boot, but I cheated some. I guess about two weeks before I was "officially" out of the boot, I started wearing my shoe some - around the house, and for very short times out of the house, and at PT. So I guess I eased into it a bit, but one I got the okay to lose the boot, I went back to my shoe full time and I've never looked back! I got my orthotics earlier this week, so I'm still in the break in period so I can't really say yet if they're making any difference or not. For what they cost, they better!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
(female)

I can't wait to ease into the shoe. Were you able to fit into your old shoe or did your shoe size/width change? I've been forewarned about the change. Did they also have you wear an ankle brace first? Thanks!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
(female)

My old shoe fit. I definitely had to keep it a little looser at first, but it fit fine. I bought new shoes a few weeks ago and it was an interesting experience. I was wearing an old pair of running shoes, and they were apparently very stretched out. I had to try on lots of new shoes before I found one that felt good on my foot. I ended up taking back the first pair because they were uncomfortable. But, I was able to stay in the same size and width, my PT had told me not to be surprised if I went up a half size, but I didn't. I went straight to the shoe with no ankle brace.

The Following User Says Thank You to NCgirl96 For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (03-28-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
(male)

barefootdreams HB User

I just posted on lack of toe movement before I saw this. I am 8 weeks out from same surgeries and can't move my big toe much at all. So I have the same question you have on that...

Old 04-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

My big toe doesnt flex to a horizontal position anymore, but I can crunch it down. I keep manually exercising it and hoping for the best.

I personally find that walking with shoes FWB is the toughest phase for me so far. Nobody else seems to express alot of angst at this stage, so maybe it is just me!! I am relearning how to walk properly, having adapted to my droopy foot and severe neuropathy for years with my old weird gait. Tough tough tough -- strains all kinds of muscles anew. I hope this stage goes better for you!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
(female)

I'm now at 15 weeks and just returned from my post op visit yesterday. All looked great! My OS did address the big toe ROM issue. Part of my problem was that my toe is slightly elevated and doesn't sit flatly on the ground due to my surgery and positioning of my foot/toe during healing. I'm to continue my exercises and PT and he used a fine tape to force my toe, ever-so-slightly, to readjust. It looked like a very minor adjustment but, after an hour I really felt my tendons aching. I'm anticipating a few days of readjustment to get used to the new toe position.

I go back May 14 and we will reevaluate. We will also discuss removal of some of the screws that stick out and are uncomfortable. I'm feeling much more positive.

Now for the shoe issue...I tried the largest walking shoe I have with my new ankle brace. There was no way that would work. Then I tried without the brace. Still mission impossible due to swelling and, my foot. I think I'm going to need a double x-wide (my normal is regular). I'm also looking at really ugly, but extremely functional velcro shoes because I will need to be able to get the shoe on and off easily.

Barefoot - when is your next doctor visit?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
(female)

Just thought I'd post a follow up.

I had my 15 week office visit on this week. All looked great and I've been given the go-ahead to transition into a shoe with AOS ankle brace. Big toe now has a small piece of surgical tape that is holding it in a lower position.

First day I tried to squish my very swollen foot into my largest walking shoe and failed miserably.

Second day - more determined and stubborn - I squished my foot in the shoe. I walked at first with two crutches, then with one crutch and finally attempted to walk a little without anything. By "walking" I would actually call it more hobbling. And mind you it was just a few steps each time.

Day 3 and my swelling has gone down a bit. I got my foot into the shoe far easier.
PT has instructed me to take it a bit slower. I'm to start with 2 hours and then back to the boot. By next week I should be up to wearing the shoe with brace for 10-12 hours.

I also know that at my next doctor visit in mid-May we are going to schedule some screws removal. Am really hoping this is done while sedated...A friend told me he had two screws removed in office. Surgeon used, what looked like an electric screwdriver.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
(female)

vikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB User

wow... electric screwdriver???
i have screws in also, i was told one will disintegrate and one will not.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
(male)

barefootdreams HB User

Next 16 or 17th at HSS. If this toe uselessness is the only problem at the end if this journey I can live with it.
I have 7 screws and want them out when time comes. I was hoping to be massively sedated or blocked for that but dunno protocol.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
(female)

My OS at HSS didn't make as much of a big deal about my toe as he did the last time. He just showed me how to tape my toe to a lower position. (It's very small change but I did feel it in my PTT within 5 minutes. Three days later and I don't feel it at all. He didn't seem as concerned as last time and it will be one of things we discuss at the next visit.

Screw removal -I'm thinking sedated too!!! The screws that are poking out are the heel screws. Those are big and long. No way am I doing that in office. I'm a wimp.
I've got a total of 10 screws/pins. Not sure they all can come out.....

Leaving on a trip next week with a long series of flights (first is 7 hours second is 5). Can't wait to see how much I set off the alarms. I've got my card from my OS and also ordered a wheelchair for the airports.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
(female)

punkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB User

Can I ask, did anyone have trouble walking in the boot, especially without crutches? My boot has a wedge in it per the surgeon, and I feel like for some reason I am pitching my leg forward and out, kind of splayed, when I walk, it is hurting my knee and hip on the leg which had the foot repaired. I am trying to walk normally but the boot seems to be making it very difficult.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Hi there
Yes I had a wedge in my aircast to start, and he said that when I was ready for my heel to go right down in the boot to just take it out, I was lucky and by the end of the next day, I took it out and my heel went down.

Really not liking the whole screw removal thing, think I will keep mine :-)

Closed Thread

Tags
bunion, pttd