It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
Incision questions

I am 4 weeks post op today and have a question about my incisions. I had two cuts. One from PTTD tendon repair and one from bunion repair. The tendon incisions came out 2 week post op. The other incision was not ready and came out 1 week ago (3 weeks post op).

The Dr told me to keep my foot wrapped with the ace bandage for swelling reasons. The only protection I have is the surgery shoe i wear when I am using my crutches.

Questions are:

How long do you usually let you foot get air each day? My incisions are very scabbed over and hard.

Do you put anything on the incision area to help with the scabbing? I have been using Lubriderm on the rest of my foot.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
(female)

Stylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB User
Re: Incision questions

While NWB, I was only allowed to have the boot off for showering, so my incisions got almost no airing-out time. The last scab came off the night before my 6 week post-op appointment. However, my surgeon told me to put Neosporin on the incisions after every shower, so that's what I used starting from my 2 weeks post-op appointment. Now that they're cleared of scabbing, I'm using scar gel and I need to get some silicone pads.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I had a cast for 4 weeks after having my staples removed, so my incisions weren't exposed at all. When the cast came off, they were still scabby but after a few showers, it all flaked away.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
(female)

punkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB User

I started about 10 days post surgery putting Shea butter on my incisions. I think some people use vitamin e cream. At my 5 week post op appt yesterday, the surgeon was amazed at my progress. I think the scabs will fall off and the scars fade even if you don't use any cream. The difference is comfort. The incisions felt less tight and everything more flexible with the Shea butter and 3 or 4 gentle massages a day to keep good blood flow. I had a boot rather than a cast which was helpful. Neo sporin or Vaseline or lotion are probably good too. Just encourage good blood flow, really helps with healing.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
(female)

New Beginning HB UserNew Beginning HB User

I just got out of the cast on Thursday and into the boot at week 5. I was told to use vitamin E oil on the incisions. I have to massage each incisions for 2 minutes with the oil. It feels weird at first, but I have gotten used to it. The incisions look really good and feel good too. She also gave me a couple of compression socks that I have to wear all the time besides showers and when I am doing the oil, so my foot is not getting much air. She said I want to wear those all the time to keep the swelling down, so the transition to the shoe with go a lot easier. Good luck!

Closed Thread