It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User
Surgery foot different color than good foot

My sugery foot is a different color than my good foot almost 10 wks after my reconstruction surgery. Is this normal? It doesn't hurt to the touch, there are no warm spots, no cold spots as there might be if circulation was a problem. It's just darker than my good foot. Sometimes it looks tanned, other times it looks slightly purplish and mottled looking.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
(male)

FootDude HB User
Re: Surgery foot different color than good foot

That's perfectly normal. It can take several months and even up to a year for the colour to return to normal. It is because of the surgery and the soft tissue changes that the skin takes when there is trauma to the area. No worries.

The Following User Says Thank You to FootDude For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (04-15-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

Is yours a constant different color? Or does it change mostly from going from elevating to standing/foot down? Mine at 10 weeks always seemed to look purple/molted. Now at almost 19 weeks out it doesn't do it as often. But I still get pretty shades of purple pop up.

You can always bring it up to the dr, but me and so many people on here have had this same problem and it will go away eventually. It can take up to a year before it stops.

Good luck!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

The Following User Says Thank You to Erie0385 For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
(female)

ankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB User

Like the previous 2 replies, mine too is a different color (last time around it took a year for the colors to match!). Actually my just repaired leg also looks smaller than the other.

I wouldn't worry about it too much! Good luck!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

Thanks everyone! This is why I love this forum...no matter what stage of my healing I'm in, there is someone here that has been through it and knows the answers to my questions!
I would say that the purple mottled color happens more when I shower and I'm standing on my foot without the boot and at the end of the work day when I'm swollen the most. Otherwise it just looks darker or tanned. And the pores on that leg look huge after I shave my legs...very strange looking.

So I have another question for you...I am getting my walking boot taken away on Weds. What happens then? I haven't bought any new shoes yet because I have orthotics in my other shoe, which I have worn for the past 2 yrs..used to wear them in both shoes before surgery. The doc says we will talk about what to do about that at the Weds visit. I will be going to work the next day....I cannot even imagine wearing a tennis shoe on that foot, not with the way my foot swells by the end of the day. So what did you all do when you first started walking? What kind of shoe and how did you deal with the swelling issue? I was considering getting a good Merrell clog/tennis shoe type thing. It has the raised heel bed in back and allows placement of orthotics. But not sure that would be supportive enough...well I guess I know it definately wouldn't be supportive enough for my ankle without a back. Bad idea, right?

Reply Reply