It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
(female)

Newleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB User
Question HELP! Need relief.

I need help! Here it is 3:00 am and I have been rudely awakened by intense itching like I have never felt before in my entire life in my in incision. I am 4 and 1/2 weeks post-op and things look fine with the incision, but I am loosing my mind due to this terrible itching. I still have steri strips covering my incisions that were put in place after they removed my stitches and have to remain in place for one more week. I am not allowed to put anything on or near the incisions, but I am wondering if anyone has ideas of how I can get some relief? Will Benedryl or allergy medication help with this kind of itching? I know that they treat itching that it caused by a histamine reaction, but I do not believe this type of "healing" itching is a histamine type reaction. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
(female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User
Re: HELP! Need relief.

When I had crazy itching about a week ago, some antihistamines definitely helped. Not sure if it was because they knocked me out and I fell asleep or they actually helped the itching.

Sorry! It sucks not being able to scratch

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

The Following User Says Thank You to TamiNicole For This Useful Post:
Newleftside (04-15-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
(female)

Newleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB User

Thank you TamiNicole, I finally could not stand it any longer and took a couple of benedryl a little while ago. I am anxiously waiting for them to either help reduce the itching or put me to sleep, I don't care which one.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
(female)

punkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB User

Benadryl helps, as does cold compresses and hyrdrocortisone cream (not on incisions but skin which is adjacent). I suffer from a lot of allergic skin reactions so I can say all of these will help. Distraction helps too, i.e. if you can't sleep due to itching, doing something else like watching a movie will keep your mind off it a little, and anyway you might as well be doing something other than sitting in bed thinking of how much you want to scratch!

The Following User Says Thank You to punkin77 For This Useful Post:
Newleftside (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
(female)

ankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB User

Sorry to hear! I used a lot of aloe vera oil... Doesn't smell too nice, but takes care of the itching sensation... It feels soothing, and is a 100% natural...

And as punkin77 said, distraction works too!

Goodluck!

The Following User Says Thank You to ankle problems For This Useful Post:
Newleftside (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
(female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User

I hope you feel better by now!
I was told a few different thing... Ice, to pinch that leg then rub it ( I did find that helped). This was interesting, and I did help I'm not sure why... To scratch the same place on the other leg....??? It's a mind thing. Maybe it was the novelty but one horrible time it did help.

The Following User Says Thank You to RuthS For This Useful Post:
Newleftside (04-15-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
(female)

Thank you all for your help and tips. Yes Ruth by the time I received your post the itching had stopped with the use of antihistamines, ice, and tapping and rubbing the leg adjacent. (However the tapping and rubbing caused terrible "electric" type pains shooting down my foot, so I discontinued those actions right away.) I will remember the suggestions you mentioned Ruth for the next time should it occur again.

Thank you all again, I do appreciate all of your help!!

Closed Thread