It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

suziequz HB User
5 months post surgery (crushed calcaneus) what shoes, orthotics to wear?

I am 5 months post surgery for a crushed calcaneus. I have gone back to work and am on my feet all day. By the end of the day I am in a lot of pain. Anyone have a suggestion for the right shoes to wear, or if custom orthotics will help?
Am I expecting too much to be free of pain?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
(female)

LisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB User
Re: 5 months post surgery (crushed calcaneus) what shoes, orthotics to wear?

I am nine month post op to repair a fractured calcaneus, and I still get pain and swelling if I am on my feet for more than an hour or two. It gets better every week though, but I still ice and elevate whenever I can.

My surgeon sent me to get orthotics, which I wear but am still getting used to after having them four months. They made my ankle swell like crazy at first. I've mostly been wearing sneakers.

Is there any opportunity to put your foot up during the day, and ice it? Maybe on your meal break? That might help. You might try gel heel cups (under both feet to stay even); I have them and it helps when I am not wearing the orthotics.

Good luck with your recovery,
Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

I am also 9months post op. I never went to orthotics or even inserts. I wore a gel heel cup thing in my boot, but it never seemed to do much, so when I went to shoes, I didn't switch it over.

I'm now in a job where I am on my feet for most, if not all of the day, walking on uneven terrain, and then standing for a lot of it. I still get pain at the end of the day, but I wouldn't say it's unbearable. I can tell when I'm getting fatigued because my limp is way worse. Once I get home, I go barefoot or just in slippers, and that doesn't hurt, but I seem to limp a bit more.

At 5 months, I was no where close to this point, I was barely walking. I think I even was still using my cane, or had just gotten rid of it. So maybe you are trying to do too much at 5 months? I don't know your pain tolerance, but for me, being on my feet all day at 5 months would have been rough. Like Lisa said, try to take some more breaks if you can, or scale back your hours.

As for shoes, I love my Merrell hiking shoes I bought. They are like sneakers, but with more tread. All Merrell shoes have great insoles. I shied away from orthotics, but that's a personal preference.

Good luck with everything!
Lizard

Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
(female)

suziequz HB User

Liz and Lisa,

Thank you both for your responses. My husband keeps telling me I am doing and expecting too much. I guess he is probably right.

About the only thing I can wear right now are Merrell sneakers. Maybe switching to a hiking shoe will give me a little more support.

Thanks again!

Sue

The following user gives a hug of support to suziequz:
LisaLouLou (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
(female)

LisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB User

You might also try support socks, or an elastic ankle brace. Both are fairly tight and hard to get on at first but you get used to them. If I had to stand for a long time I would use one or the other. I have knee-high support socks which I haven't worn much, but would if I had to stand a lot. I also have the elastic ankle brace which is open at the toe and goes up over the ankle bones. The both help with support (or at least the feeling of support) and with swelling. The ankle brace was great while I was first getting back to fwb. Hope that helps!

Closed Thread