HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   foot pain?? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/948361-foot-pain.html)

JessicaHope11 05-02-2013 01:51 PM

foot pain??

For the past few months (since February), I have had increasing pain in my right foot and ankle. It hurts quite badly in my arch and also in the inside of my ankle and a little in my heel and the top of my midfoot. My surgeon diagnosed me with flat feet and ordered arch supports, which I've had for about 3 weeks now. The arch supports have not helped at all and the pain keeps getting worse. I had been wearing a boot or a lace up ankle brace for the months before this and nothing seems to fix it. It hurts with every step I take.
A few months ago I did have a surgery on this ankle but it is not hurting in the same place and it doesn't seem to be related. My ankle had gained quite a bit of strength back, but now I can't even do a heel raise on this foot/ankle.
I'm being sent for a bone scan and then I'll be seeing the surgeon again once the results come in, but I was just wondering if anyone knows what this could be or what my next step is? I realize it's only been a few months, but it's already getting old.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much.

vikkio 05-02-2013 05:59 PM

Re: foot pain??

hi, maybe also try getting an mri... just an idea, so if you have any torn tendons or other stuff like that, it will show it.

changedforever6 05-03-2013 08:15 AM

not sure what they did to your ankle or foot, but ankles take a long time to get better from. You need to work on strengthening the ankle to the point where you CAN do heel lifts with one foot at a time. It will take a while. Don't start any exercises without the doc approval though. I had to go to PT for more than two months for mine and I still have to work on it at home every day. I won't give up! Heel raises on that side are very hard, but I figure if I do what I can every day, plus the band strengthening exercises I should keep getting stronger. Do you see a ortho that specializes in foot and ankle problems?

JessicaHope11 05-03-2013 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=changedforever6;5169805]not sure what they did to your ankle or foot, but ankles take a long time to get better from. You need to work on strengthening the ankle to the point where you CAN do heel lifts with one foot at a time. It will take a while. Don't start any exercises without the doc approval though. I had to go to PT for more than two months for mine and I still have to work on it at home every day. I won't give up! Heel raises on that side are very hard, but I figure if I do what I can every day, plus the band strengthening exercises I should keep getting stronger. Do you see a ortho that specializes in foot and ankle problems?[/QUOTE]

I had a brostrom procedure on my ankle and did 7 weeks of PT. After about 5 weeks of PT, I was able to do heel lifts on one foot.
Then this new pain started, on the opposite side of my ankle and in my foot, and I'm not able to do the heel lifts, even though I do band strengthening exercises daily still. It doesn't seem related to the ankle! That had been pretty well healed and my ortho doc was very pleased with it. Yes, I do see an ortho that specialzes in foot and ankle problems (:

changedforever6 05-03-2013 12:17 PM

gee, I don't know what to tell you then. If things still aren't going well you need to make your problem known to the doc again. We are at their mercy. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck.

JessicaHope11 05-03-2013 05:07 PM

I had a bone scan today and the tech said my entire foot was bright, much more so than the other foot. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm going back to the doc next week. Hopefully they can tell me what's wrong then. Thanks for the help!

simonfoot 05-04-2013 11:31 AM

If you have flat feet, then it definitely makes sense to have pain in the arch and inside of the ankle unfortunately. I have been suffering from flat feet for a year...flat feet put pressure on the posterior tibial tendon, which runs along the inner ankle and arch. I did not get relief from orthotics, but I do get some relief from dr scholls inserts. If you google flat feet, or research it on this website you may find more information. Finding the right insert to support your foot is really important. The posterior tibial tendon controls heel raises - when a doctor is assessing damage to that tendon - they check to see if a patient can do one. resting the ankle did nothing for my flat foot pain...getting the right support is the best thing....and sometimes professional orthotics are not the right fit, even if they are custom (I payed for two custom orthotics!)