It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
(female)

l129 HB Userl129 HB Userl129 HB User
Did OS give you something to avoid blood clots?

Question - especially to those that had surgery at Mercy Medical Ctr in Baltimore. My OS didn't discuss any meds with me (yet) - but hopefully that is part of post-op discharge instructions. So - let me ask ahead of time --- did your OS instruct you to take any blood-thinning drugs like aspirin, or prescribe anticoagulants like Heparin or Warfarin?

Thanks!
Cuneiform Osteotomy
2 bone grafts
Gastroc Recession
FDL Tendon Transfer to PTT

Old 05-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
(female)

ankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB User
Re: Did OS give you something to avoid blood clots?

My doctor put me on a 6 week Aspirin regiment (325 mg).

The Following User Says Thank You to ankle problems For This Useful Post:
l129 (05-17-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Espr
Quote:
Originally Posted by l129 View Post
Question - especially to those that had surgery at Mercy Medical Ctr in Baltimore. My OS didn't discuss any meds with me (yet) - but hopefully that is part of post-op discharge instructions. So - let me ask ahead of time --- did your OS instruct you to take any blood-thinning drugs like aspirin, or prescribe anticoagulants like Heparin or Warfarin?

Thanks!
First, I was taken off baby aspirin 2 weeks before surgery. After surgery I was on Warfarin and another blood thinner. When released I took injections for 2 weeks and was on a prescription drug for another 2 week's. My Dr.did say he was taking a very conservative approach

Old 05-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No, it was never mentioned in the 4 surgeries I've had in the last 10 years. Nor in any that I had 30-40 years ago.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
(female)

bshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by l129 View Post

Thanks!
Yes Hun, I was prescribed blood thinning injections for two weeks.

Ankle replacement to come soon

Old 05-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
(female)

Stylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB UserStylishboots HB User

A daily aspirin for the duration of NWB.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
(female)

mnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB User

Aspirin here, too.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
(male)

MrTurtle HB User

I was given daily injectable Enoxaparin sodium for 14 days.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
(female)

Newleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB User

I was put on Dailey full strength aspirin therapy following surgery while I was NWB and told after that take a baby aspirin while PWB. Each surgeon has their own protocol and the patients' health history plays into that decision as well. If you have not had your Pre-op be sure to ask then and be sure to make a list of any and all questions to ask surgeon prior to that appointment. If you have had your Pre-op and nothing was mentioned, I would call and ask cause you will want to have purchased everything in advance rather than having to stop on the way home from surgery.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newleftside View Post
I was put on Dailey full strength aspirin therapy following surgery while I was NWB and told after that take a baby aspirin while PWB. Each surgeon has their own protocol and the patients' health history plays into that decision as well. If you have not had your Pre-op be sure to ask then and be sure to make a list of any and all questions to ask surgeon prior to that appointment. If you have had your Pre-op and nothing was mentioned, I would call and ask cause you will want to have purchased everything in advance rather than having to stop on the way home from surgery.

Thanks - there is no pre-op appt - I guess they don't do that at Mercy - so I'll definately call in advance and ask since I'd like to be fully prepared.
Cuneiform Osteotomy
2 bone grafts
Gastroc Recession

Old 05-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
(female)

Stupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB User

Just had my 3rd surgery @Mercy and nothing was said about blood thinners or aspirin.
This time, he did give me a compression sock at follow up appointment.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
(female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User

My OS spoke about putting me on blood thinners before my surgery, in the end he didn't as I took a cancellation date and he said that he felt given my medical history etc I didn't need it. In retrospect, I'm glad he didn't as I saw how much my foot had bled when the cast came off...pretty gross!
He did tell me to stop taking my birth control pills though..... I did tell him that if this backfired I would bring him the bundle of joy...I'm done!!!

Old 05-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
(female)

Ruth - OMG - are you kidding - no Birth control pills??? not that I think I'll feel like doing anything to need them right after surgery, mind you, but I need that low dose estrogen to keep my sanity. I'm on the ones that give you estrogen every single day --as when I took ones that had the 1-week off - I'd get estrogen withdraw headaches. What is the worry with estrogen? did he say?
Cuneiform Osteotomy
2 bone grafts
Gastroc Recession

Old 05-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
(female)

bshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthS View Post
My OS spoke about putting me on blood thinners before my surgery, in the end he didn't as I took a cancellation date and he said that he felt given my medical history etc I didn't need it. In retrospect, I'm glad he didn't as I saw how much my foot had bled when the cast came off...pretty gross!
He did tell me to stop taking my birth control pills though..... I did tell him that if this backfired I would bring him the bundle of joy...I'm done!!!
Ruth- your to funny ! I said the same thing after I had my tubal haha

Ankle replacement to come soon

Old 05-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
(female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User

He told me that the combination of taking the pill (mini, low dose one too) and being NWB and not moving much ( as someone else put it so well, in a slug-like state!) it put me at risk of a clot, so I had to go off them for 3 months.

Closed Thread