It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
(female)

SillyGirls HB UserSillyGirls HB User
Re: Ankle Reconstruction in 2wks...:-(

Thanks mnags. I've been browsing the net for waterproof cast protectors and anything else I can think of...even checked out casttoo's...lol They're kinda neat....once I get the surgical cast/dressing off and get a fiberglass cast I may just buy one....the frog or puffer one's were neat.

Lots of neat things out there for crutches and walkers as well. The bags are a great idea for them. Hubby suggested getting a bed/lap tray of some sort to set the laptop on and meals. I woulda never thought of that..lol

Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #17
(female)

Well, 5 days to go then in for my surgery Getting very nervous and anxious.

Hospital called yesterday and went over the do's and don'ts for the day/night before and morning of. Not sleeping well the last few days....I lay in bed thinking about the surgery , my mind just wont shut down.

The following user gives a hug of support to SillyGirls:
mnags (06-11-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
(female)

mnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB User

All your feelins are valid and normal. Getting over the "hump" surgery day is the first biggie. You will have lots of firsts, not all of them great but all part of the process. First trip to the bathroom, first shower etc etc. Then all of a sudden they become the "temporary" norm. You will lookback and try to remember all that, but most of us are pretty drugged up for all the firsts and the memory is pretty foggy. You probably won't sleep good until they knock you out for surgery, but you have plenty of time after that to make it all up. I'm 6 weeks post op tomorrow, I told my husband when I got up this morning that when I wake up I keep expecting to be the "old me". That's still a few months away but getting closer all the time. This may sound pathetic, but I had that surgery and infection on my forehead and its at least been a distraction from my foot boredom. (I don't recommend it). You'll soon be on the other side and on your way to healing, its all an adventure, keep us posred on your progress, and we'll be thinking of you on your surgery day.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
(female)

Yes, getting through now and surgery day is totally consuming me. My friends ask me how I'm feeling about it and I start to cry and fall apart. Even thinking about it sometimes makes me all teary. The surgeon has said it will be at least a 2hr surgery, possibly longer depending on what he finds when he does the scope prior to the reconstruction. Long time to be under a general and poor hubby going to be pacing the halls of the hospital waiting for me. Not knowing what to expect when I wake up after and what exactly he's going to put on my leg when I wake up ....hopefully not some big crazy bulky dressing....lol

We have a very busy weekend planned with kids and family which will be good...keep my mind off surgery. I wake up and first thing I do is think..."i've got 5 more days of freedom then into orthopedic prison and loss of independance"..:-(

I sure hope I find that positive mental attitude soon because I sure could use some of it right now.

Last edited by SillyGirls; 06-11-2013 at 11:06 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to SillyGirls:
mnags (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
(female)

mnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB User

Yes the count down has begun. I had mine all planned out, then life happened, my oldest daughter a married mom of two, who lives about a 2 hr drive from us fell and fractured 7 bones and tore ligaments and tendons in her ankle and was scheduled for surgery the monday before my surgery on Wednesday. So, we went up to their house to help them prep for that, cooked, cleaned , shopped did laundry and tried to comfort her as much as we could. I thought about canceling mine but decided for many reasons not to. But it did keep my mind off mine and I was so tired when the day came I was actually looking forward to the rest. My surgery was 6 hrs, the Dr looked exhausted after. My daughters was about 2 hrs. We both had splint like casts right after surgery to allow for swelling then about 5 days later got the hard casts. But your Dr will do what is best for you and your procedure.
Do you know if you will be admitted or not? Just be sure to stay ahead of your pain, don't wait until it really hurts to take pain meds, and if they aren't working let them know and get something that does don't try to tough it out. And remember the worse is over after a few days. Enjoy your family these next few days, and you're not losing your freedom, its just going to be different for a while and you'll be a healthier new you

Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
(female)

Oh my goodness...what a thing for you and your family to have to go through with your daughter just before your surgery. Hope she's doing well now.

I won't be admitted...surgeon said even if you want to stay a night you can't. So I will be coming home the same day. I am not sure what he will be prescribing for pain, he didn.t mention.

I will be 2.5-3 wks in the surgical splint that he puts on then into a cast for 6wks, then into a boot...hoping he will agree to a waterproof cast so I can get in the pool and not have to worry about covering or worse not being able to go in the pool at all.

Hubby is for sure going to have his hands full with the kids (dad cant change a diaper quite as well as mom can..lol) and myself...im sure he will be looking forward to returning to work after the 3 wks at home with me ..lol...he will need a break from it all by then.

Hubby pretty much said the same thing you did...about being a happy healthier you....he said when its all said and done that I will be glad I went through with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to SillyGirls For This Useful Post:
Annie7679 (06-12-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #22
(female)

Re: Ankle Reconstruction in 2wks... :-(

Very anxious tonight. Surgery is in the morning. I dont expect to sleep tonight. Have been very emotional and a total mess. I just want tomorrow to come and go and the surgery to be over with

Old 06-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
(female)

Good luck tomorrow! You will be fine and it will be over with before you know it. I barely remember my surgery day. They will probably give you a nerve block for pain they vary on everyome as far as how long and how quickly they wear off. Stay ahead of the pain its easier to keep it down than to get it down. You're a day closer to being on the mend keep us posted.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #24
(female)

Well, it's 5:40am and we're up and getting ready to head to the hospital. Today is the big day...:-( scared and worried. 8hrs from now hopefully I'll be home and will begin my months of orthopedic and cast hell.

I woke up and first thing I did was cry. Knowing that 8 hrs from now I will no longer be able to walk and will be spending the next 3 wks on total bed rest is a hard pill to swallow.

However, I will get through this...I will get through this.....I will get through this.

Wish me luck everyone....will post in the next day or so with an update.
Thanks mnags....you're a great inspiration.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
(male)

FLIN21 HB User

Good Luck, and yes You Will Get Through This!!

FLIN

Old 06-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #26
(female)

Well, I'm home and all settled into bed. Far more pain then what I expected. I am in a very bulky surgical cast/dressing that goes from my toes to just above my knee. I am hooked up to a cryotherapy unit 12hrs/day and have to keep leg elevated with a leg elevator 24/7.

I am on strict bed rest until July 9th when I will go for my first post op appt , hopefully get the stitches out and will be put into a fiberglass cast for an addition 6wks.

I didn't expect the pain to be this bad. They made several attempts to place the nerve block , 2 dr's and ultrasound assisted but still failed to locate the nerve. So my pain has been significant...I am not even able to lift my leg without awful pain going through my whole leg. My hubby has to lift my leg and support it when I need to adjust to get comfy or get up to use the bathroom.

I am taking oxycocet every 3-4 hrs but it only takes the edge off...does'nt get rid of the pain. Hopefully the pain will start to decrease soon.

First full day on bed rest and NWB and I've already got cabin fever.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #27
(female)

The surgery was the easy part. You could ask your Dr for something stronger for breakthrough pain I had percocet and dilauded it worked great to get the pain down and the percocet controlled it. I only needed the dilauded for the first few days. And yes it hurts to move your foot without support, also putting it down from being elevated is a killer, but you will notice improvement everyday. As you start to feel better it gets hardsr to sit with it elevated, I spend all my time in a reclner. Im 7 weeks post op tomorrow, 3 more till I get my pins out and a new cast. Then I will only have to elevate it 75-80% of the time. Im so looking forward to a couple hours of freedom! My foot doesn't hurt any more, im sure that will change when I can put weight on it. But it makes keeping it elevated all the time that much harder.

You will be going through a whole lot of emotional stuff with this, too. Go easy on your family and get on here, we all understand and have been there and wont judge you if you want to rant. Hang in there everyday will get a little bit better.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
(female)

Newleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB User

You made it through the surgery and now you are on to post-op day 1 or shall I say the first day of healing!!! The first few days are tough pain wise, but each day after will get better. I did not have a cryotherapy unit, so maybe your pain level will decrease quicker as I am sure that will help cut down on inflammation and pain.

During this time it will be important to rest and sleep whenever you can and when you are not able to sleep find something positive you like to watch or do to keep your mind occupied rather than focusing on the pain and what you are not able to do. I found that the more positively I looked at things and the busier I kept my mind focused on other things the quicker time passed and the better I felt.

Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress. I wish I had had a leg elevator like you, I have never seen that before. I used lots and lots of pillows and even elevate my leg on the back of the couch. Thankfully though my OS does not like using the surgical splints so I went straight into a boot with strict instructions to only loosen the straps if my toes turned blue or cold from swelling/circulation issues. However after 11 weeks in the boot 100% of the time, 6 NWB, 2-3 PWB, and 3-4 100% WB the boot is all but dead! I am now in shoes w/ brace most of the time with a few visits back to the boot when I have over done things.

To you I am sure that all seems like a very long time, but as I look back on it, it seems as though it went by very quickly. The first few weeks especially went by fast as I slept a great deal more than I expected I would.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #29
(female)

You are so right about the time going faster than you thought it would. I remember reading posts on here my first week home and people saying they were, 6, 7, 9, weeks post op and that seemed like it would be a lifetime away. And finding things to keep your mind occupied and positive helps, too. Although as much as I tried I had 1 or 2 weeks where every evening I wanted to rip my cast off. But that too, passed. So Silly, you will be better somuch sooner than you think. Keep us posted.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #30
(female)

Yes, it does seem like the weeks ahead and future milestones will take forever to get here. My big accomplishment today was getting myself out of bed and hopping down the hall with a walker to use the bathroom. My hubby went out to run a few errands and I really had to go, so had no choice but to do it myself.

I'm not able to lift my leg without horrendous pain...Dr said thats from the donor tendon site and that it will be painful for quite awhile but will untimately heal. Yesterday and today have by far been the worst pain wise. I'm taking 2 oxy's every 4hr's. The incisions have started to itch like crazy and have started getting awful pressure pain....feels like raw skin from an open blister ...I'm getting the pain on the incision on the outside of my ankle and just above my heel. I wasn't expecting there to be an incision there, I'm not even sure there is one but it sure feels like there is and the pressure from the cast on it hurts terribly...he lengthened my achilles tendon but told me the incision would be half way up on my calf.

Basically as long as I don't move the pain in bearable...but even attempting to lift my lef a bit to adjust myself in bed causes awful pain and makes me cry. I have to get my hubby to lift my leg and support it when I move. The leg elevator has been a god send. My surgeon required us to buy it prior to the surgery and take it to the hospital as my leg was on it when I woke up in recovery and hasn't left it since. Instant throbbing pain and tingling when my foot is down at all.

Tomorrow I may try having hubby help me get outside to the pool and lay in the lounge chair for a couple hr's out in the sun. Desperately in need of some fresh air and a different view.

My first post op visit isn't until July 9th, so I have a solid 3wks of strict bed rest. My friends have been amazing...I've received flowers, cards, phone calls and lots of visits every day.

Closed Thread