It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #31
(female)

SillyGirls HB UserSillyGirls HB User
Re: Ankle Reconstruction in 2wks... :-(

The cast goes right from the tip of my toes to above my knee and has about a million layers of cast padding in it...lol. I wasnt expecting to wake up to such a bulky cast...I had expected it to be below knee and not so thick. I'm assuming its above knee because the tendon donor site is just below and to the left of my knee cap, so he'd have to go above my knee to protect that site I guess.

I can't stand the thought of being in this thing for a solid 3wks before going into a fiberglass cast. I just hope when I get the fiberglass it will be a below knee cast and not above knee.

My toes are totally numb. I have no feeling in them at all. Can't feel my hubby touching them. He touches them every day to see if I can feel it but 3 days out and still don't feel a thing. It's not from a nerve block because they weren't able to locate the nerve to give me the block. They made 14 attempts and even used ultrasound but failed to locate it. I'm hoping it's not nerve damage and is maybe just from being so swollen and the trauma of the surgery to the leg and ankle. I also have blisters and bruising at the very top of my thigh from the tourniquet they applied. The inside of my very upper thigh, just above the cast is very sore from bruising.

When I first woke up in the recovery room I was in such severe pain that in the span of 1.5hrs I was given 2 perc's, several doses of fentanyl and then a dose of dilaudid before they were able to get the pain under control and make semi comfortable. I woke up crying and shaking uncontrollably.

This was far more traumatizing to my leg then ever expected it to be. At 3 days post op I say if I knew it was going to be this bad after I never would have gone through with the surgery. But I'm sure when everything is healed and I'm able to walk again I will be glad I had it done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #32
(female)

mnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB User

You and your poor leg have been through a lot! Sorry to hear you are still having so much pain and other problems. I think most of us have doubted our decision to have surgery at some point during our recovery, but still have that glimmer of hope it will all be worth it in the end. I have been SO lucky that I havent had any severe itching (knock on wood) so far, and I've been in this cast just over 7 weeks. I had a nerve block with my surgery and stll had pain when I woke up, I cant imagine how bad yours was, I feel for you, girl! Sounds like you have a great hubby and support system and you'll need all the help you can get. Hang in there. Wishing you some relief soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to mnags For This Useful Post:
SillyGirls (06-20-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #33
(female)

Sabre Fencer HB User

Awww, I feel for you and I hope your pain gets better soon! I'm 2 weeks post-op for a less involved surgery, but like you, the first follow-up/change is at 3 weeks. I just realized today that I have less than a week (6 days!) before my hard cast comes off, and it seems like it was just a short time ago that I was looking ahead, going "3 weeks is SOOOOO long". You'll get through it before you know it!

It IS really tough being stuck in bed and not being able to do all the things you are used to doing. And even when you think you can start doing some of them again, it will still be tough. For me, the toughest time has been the second week of moving around (on crutches). The first week I tried to rest, so it wasn't so bad. But then when the pain is somewhat less and moving around is tolerable, you'll get so tired, even for simple things. And it gets frustrating, but then you will start to gradually feel better and stronger!

Clare

Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #34
(male)

Steamboatdawg HB User

So I'm 6 weeks and 2 days out from reconstructive surgery. I'm weak, but I'm walking. Every step gives me more confidence. I started counting down the days 3+ weeks ago, even the one-legged showers. I'm supposed to get my cast off Monday. It gets better. When the pain starts settling, stretch your back and abdomen the best you can, try to get that blood going.

Good luck. Listen to your dr's! Hope your pain subsides.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #35
(female)

Yes, I've been told the first week is the worst. My pain has been pretty bad so I've really had no desire to be up and out of bed. So the 3wks of bed rest I don't think is going to be to bad. I am looking forward to getting out of this surgical cast though , having the stitches removed and into the fiberglass cast. I think I will be more comfortable then.

Hubby had to take me to emerg this morning because the large incision on the outside of my ankle has been horribly painful and I'm worried about infection. Dr said it looked good and told me to follow up on Mon with the surgeon in the cast clinic. I was surprised to see how beat up my foot and leg look...I'm black and blue from toes to thigh and soooo swollen. Still bleeding too. So hopefully when I go to clinic on Mon they will change the dressings and put a new splint on.

The dr this morning prescribed some dilaudid for me. He said that would work better then oxy's and gave me 30 tablets to get me through the next few days.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #36
(female)

Thanks steam. Hearing everyone else's stories and their progress is encouraging for sure. I'm very unsteady when I get up and use the crutches...yesterday I lost my balance and caught myself on my surgery leg...boy did that hurt. Hoping I didn't damage anything. Hubby went and bought me a lounge chair so I could be outside by the pool during my bed rest phase...managed to get out there ok, but coming in was a disaster. I find it very tiring...my good leg even seem's week when I'm on the crutches. I was coming in the house through the sliding patio door's and was apprehensive about coming over the track of the door. Turned out I had good reason to be. I didn't get far enough in front of the track...good foot landed right on the door track and caused me to lose my balance . Surgery leg hit the floor and bore the brunt of my weight. Needless to say, aside from getting up to use the bathroom I have not been on the crutches or out of bed since that. I have a very big fear of falling now.

Awesome that you're getting your cast off and will be walking soon. That's great news. You'll have your freedom back.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #37
(female)

mnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB User

So glad you didn't fall, that could've been a disaster! That was one of my biggest fears especially since my surgeon said if I did fall and messed it up, he wouldn't be able to fix it. Not sure if that was true but certainly put the fear in me. You will find your good leg gets a real work out and tires easily Also your back and hips are all being thrown off balance so everything is harder and tiring. Glad to hear you got the dilauded that will help break through your pain and be able to control it with the oxy. The new cast shouldnt be so clumsy so hopefully you'll get that soon.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #38
(female)

The dilaudid has been amazing. I've had 2 doses of it today and gets rid of all the pain. It works so much better then the oxy. I do feel very swollen today though, I think that may be because the dr in emerg this morning loosened the surgical dressing. I had my cry today ....wasn't expecting to see what I saw this morning when dr cut/loosened dressing. It looks much worse then I expected. Was very upsetting.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #39
(female)

Glad the dilauded is working! I know it did wonders for me, too. I saw my foot in the hospital, spent 2 days there. So they changed my dressing and soft cast before I came home. I kind of freaked when I saw my leg & foot, I remember thinking it looked like a bloody blown up latex glove with my toes sticking out different directions and pins sticking out of them and everything was dark purple. Be sure to take some dilauded for your cast change, it had me in tears, but it was only 2 days after surgery. And that's when I asked for the dilauded to go. Oh and 7 weeks later its looks way better andno pain, but im still nwb, im sure tthere's more to come...

Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #40
(female)

I can just imagine what you've been going through...although we've had different procedures done we have similar experiences with the recovery. The NWB, the bed rest, the cast etc....It does help alot to have other people to talk to that are in a similar boat.

It is traumatic to see it for the first time. When the dr pulled the dressing back in emerg yesterday I was not prepared and although I didn't see all of it, what I saw was enough. It hurt like heck having it disturbed so needless to say I'm a little anxious about going to the cast clinic tomorrow to have the dressing and cast change. I know it's going to hurt and the reality of what's been done to me will be right there in front of me for the first time. I cried last night to my husband because I was still so upset by what I saw in emerg in the morning. I know it's all still fresh and not healed as I'm only 6 days post op and that 2 wks from now when I see my surgeon for my first post op visit it will (hopefully) look better. I know it wont look like this forever and a few months from now it will look 100x's better.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #41
(female)

Just be sure to either take the dilauded before you go in or right after! Yes our procedures ares very different but similar in the process of recovery. Last night some friends came over and brought pizza. I was able to sit at the tabe to eat, using my knee scooter to prop my leg up. The wheelchair is so uncomfortable and doesn't fit under the tabe, so I don't usually eat there. Then, I suggested we play a few rounds of Mexican Train Dominoes. Imade it through the whole game! A little stff and hubby had to give me a hand to get up, But, it was so great to feel normal! And not be thinking about how bored I am or my ailments. You will get there, it seems eons away for you now but you'll be there sooner than you think. Plus you're a lot younger so you'll be even faster

Old 06-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #42
(female)

Hubby and I went to see the surgeon this morning. Surgical splint/dressing was taken off...still bleeding from the incicion at my ankle. New dressings applied to all 7 incisions and was put into a plaster cast.

I go back in 2wks to have cast off, stitches out and go into fiberglass cast. He said if everything looks good on the 9th I will be able to start putting some weight on it...excited but nervous about that at the same time.

I had myself a good cry this morning after everything was taken off and I got my my first real good look at it. I sure hope it looks better 2wks from now.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #43
(female)

I took 2 dilauded before my appt which was supposed to be at 8:45. We got into the see the surgeon at 10:15 where I took 2 more diluaded because I was in sooooo much pain I couldn't tolerate it anymore. I was in tears when the surgeon came into the room. I'm glad everything looks good and there's nothing to worry about at this point. Hopefully it will stop bleeding soon, but he says thats normal...even 8 days post op.

The following user gives a hug of support to SillyGirls:
mnags (06-25-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #44
(female)

I am feeling very down and frustrated. I definately feeling the mental/emotional pain now. At 9 days post op I feel like this 3 wks period of bed rest is NEVER going to end.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get comfortable and get sleep. Had the hard cast put on the yesterday and that is making it far more uncomfortable. I have more pain with the hard cast then I did with the surgical splint. My hubby keeps telling me 'youre only a week out from surgery' and that things will get better. I got up briefly today and tried to sit in the living room in the recliner. Just going from the bedroom to the livingroom made my pain increase drastically and my toes were purple and so swollen by the time I got to the recliner that I regreted doing that. I stayed in the recliner for about half an hour before I had to come back to bed.

I'm finding that the cast is putting too much pressure on my incisions and I can't find a comfortable position to rest it on pillows or the leg elevevator.....WHEN is this going to get better????

I had an emotional meltdown today and cried because I'm so frustrated and tired of not being able to do anything and tired of being so uncomfortable.

The following user gives a hug of support to SillyGirls:
vikkio (06-27-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #45
(female)

So sorry you are having such a difficult time. Seems your surgery is much more painful than what I had done. Wish there was something I could say to help you. Im sure your husband feels helpless, too.I was surprised when you said it was 9 days since your surgery, already, im sure its been a long 9 days for you. Getting up and moving around caused swelling which is making your cast more uncomfortable, keep it elevated and iced, or you have one of those circulating machines don't you? And take the pain meds, unfortunately sometimes they don't help your emotional state. Im 8 weeks out today and my toes still swell and get purple if I'm up to long. Hang in there it will get better just not fast enough.

Closed Thread