It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #46
(female)

vikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB Uservikkio HB User
Re: Ankle Reconstruction in 2wks... :-(

hi Sillygirls, I have read your entire thread, and i want to say that it does get better!! , you will be at the 2 week post op mark by the weekend!! Yaay for you!!! yes, even at 3.5 months post op, as i am now..i have little pitty parties, but that's all it is . You have a great support system and that is one of the biggest helps. I never felt so thankful for someone handing me a glass of water before!!! HAHAA! I laugh at it now, but those things are so true,and how many times did I cry because my husband continually , consistently, served me breakfast and lunch, and dinner in bed,(out of gratitude) along with my kids helping.... in their little "distracted" ways. This is the time when you have to try and make lemonade out of lemons... we have all been there. I definately have!! and still have minor hiccups along the way, if you can read some of my past threads by clicking on my name, you will see what I mean.. most are funny, so it helps put a smile on a face or two.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #47
(female)

SillyGirls HB UserSillyGirls HB User

Thanks mnags and vikko.....I really don't know what I'd do without this board right now. Everyone is so kind and always quick to offer up kind words of encouragment and support.

Yesterday the kids finished school for summer...yay...3 more little helpers for the next several wks..lol....I think my hubby needs a break. Who would have thought he'd ever think getting on the lawn tractor and cutting the grass would be something he looked forward too...lol I've had visitor's everyday and that has been great. My girlfriends come to visit and sit right here with me in the bedroom. Hubby brought the glider rocker into the bedroom so they would have some where to sit aside from our bed. They have all offered to come and do any cleaning, laundry etc that hubby might need help with or want done.

I wasn't sure if I wanted anyone "signing" my cast...lol....that's something kids do..lol. But, I thought, why not.....our kids had been asking since I came home with the cast on Tues to sign it. Hubby went yesterday and bought some permanent marker just for the signing...lol. I'm glad I let them sign it, what they wrote on my cast was thoughtful, loving and some funny. When I'm laying here feeling down all I have to do is look at my cast and see just how lucky I am to have such a loving family and group of friends.

Our little 3 yr old said to me yesterday as he's snuggling in bed with me..' I wish I had a cast but I just have a bandaid'...He made me laugh so hard when he said that...how cute. Baby is 18 months old and hubby will say 'knock knock' when she is sitting with me and she will 'knock' on my cast twice then clap her hands and say 'yay'...lol Funny little moments like that can take this totally horrible and depressing experience and it turn it into something fun and memorable. Hubby is going to paint the kids hand and put a hand print from the babies on my cast today...they're too little to be able to write anything and I love baby hands and feet. I thought that was a great idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #48
(female)

LondonLady1 HB User

Hi Silly. I have just had another cast out on today. Surgery was three weeks ago. I understand what you are saying about the pain at the site of the incisions. I asked them to give me a bit of extra padding around my ankle to relieve the pain. They wrapped it in a few layers of cotton wool and stuck on some additional padding. They also gave me a 'spring- ier' cast. I didn't even know that existed. All in all it feels more bearable than before. Fingers crossed sleep is better. I am also struggling with that. Our over the counter pain relief is not as strong in the uk - only ibuprofen and paracetamol.
Hope you feel better soon. It is frustrating but remember you are on the mend.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #49
(female)

Thanks Londonlady. I'm curious about this 'springier' cast. I've never heard of a cast like that. Is it fiberglass? I'm in a plaster cast right now but will get the fiberglass cast when I'm 3wks post op and stitches out. I should ask my dr about the kind of cast you have.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #50
(female)

LondonLady1 HB User

It's my third cast. The first one post - op was too painful. They split it down the middle to relieve the pressure but then I had a small slip and put my foot down briefly so went back to see the DR. He thinks all is ok... Can't tell on the microfracture as too soon to say but the Brostum 'anchors' are stable. This cast looks pretty much the same as the the second one - wide sort of wrap- around bandage that sets, but they said it was of a spring-ier material than the last one. So slightly more flexible. It's still got the be rigid to hold everything in place to heal. The big thing that feels different is the extra padding. It is cushioning the wounds more, so just feels better already. It is lighter than the plaster cast I had put on after the surgery. The bandages come in different colours - I got purple with green glitter!!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #51
(female)

Purple with green glitter?? How cool. I've never seen anything like that here. My hospital only has 6 colors to choose from , none with a design or pattern on them. When I go back in 2 wks I'm gonna go with the purple...lol. I'd go with blue, but they don't have blue.

I likely wouldn't be allowed to have a cast like you have right now as he said I might be able to start to putting some weight on it and using crutches at that the 3wk mark. They took my surgical splint/cast off on Tues (1wk post op) because I was still bleeding and had a few falls. So rather then putting on another back slab splint he opted to go with the plaster. The cast tech who put the cast on was really nice and did a good job of padding my ankle, but not quite enough to keep the incisions from feeling the pressure from the cast.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #52
(female)

LondonLady1 HB User

They have some glitter pots for the kids... I thought what the heck, I'll have some of that!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #53
(female)

mnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB User

I went to the Dr today and got an awesome surprise. They removed my cast for xrays and after looking at them, he said he was taking the pins out and putting me in a walking cast! Im 2 weeks ahead of what he originally told me, so I am so excited. I can only be on my foot for up to 10 minutes per hour but that is 10 min of freedom every hour. I've been nwb for 8 weeks with elevation 90% of the time. Now have to elevate 80% of the time. AND it isn't painful to put all my weight on it, just some weird sensations. Anyway, sorry I got side tracked, I did have a red fiberglass cast that my husband helped me decorate with bling, I dad flowers made with acrylic gems on the side. I couldnt decide on purple or blue this time, so the tech suggested purple with a blue candycane stripe, looks pretty cool and I will add some bling. I am just so excited to be on this phase of my process! I did find out I have 5 screws in my foot, I thought only 2.

Silly, I must say you sound so much better today, maybe not in less pain or discomfort, but your spirits sure seem to be up, so glad everyone is giving you so much love and support. Your children sound adorable! And I know what you mean about your husband and mowing the lawn, my friend came by yesterday and said she found my husband spraying weeds in the neighbors yard, guess he ran out of things to do in ours lol.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #54
(female)

That's awesome news mnags....so happy for you. At the rate youre going you'll be up and running in no time.

We made another trip to the dr today to get a refill on my pain med's only to find out when we got there that my dr was'nt there so I had to see the nurse practitioner who isn't allowed to write script's for narcotic's. So she ended up giving me a script for Tramacet....I have my doubt's as to how effective it will be.

My spirits have definately improved ....I'm half way through bed rest...yay! 12 more days of bed rest. And NO fall's since Mon...lol

I'm so happy for you mnags. I could tell from your post that you are thrilled , as you should be. Lol about your hubby...send him to our house if he's looking for more yardwork to do...my hubby has definately been slacking in that dept. Oh well...not the end of the world.

Too bad we can't post pic's ...be kinda fun to see how everyone does their cast..lol

Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #55
(female)

I'm 2wks post op today and I'm really starting to go batty with NWB and bed rest. I'm finally feeling better and pain has decreased enough that I want to be up and around but can't. Swelling has gone down so much that my cast is feeling too big and allowing a fair bit of movement.

I still have 1 wk to go before stitches come out and new cast goes on.

I know a week from now I'll be allowed to start putting some weight on my leg and now that it's feeling better how do I get through the next week without pushing the limits and attempting to put some weight on my leg?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #56
(female)

mnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB User

Congrats glad you are feeling better! Just remind yourself of what you've been through the last 2 weeks whenever you're feeling like pushing the limits, you do not want to go back or even slow down the process, in the end it is worth it. At least that's what I've told myself and its paid of since im a few weeks ahead of schedule being able to walk for a few minutes each hour. I still have to keep it elevated 80% of the time, but that's down from 90% so im feeling like a free woman, sorta

Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #57
(female)

Hi mnags.

yes, i'm having to elevate about 90% of the time. supposed to be all the time except to get up to use the bathrooom. I got up and went out to the deck for about an hr this afternoon then it was time to come back in and elevate.

I have had no pain med's today except this morning at 9am when I took some ibuprofen and tramacet. I'm sooooo thrilled with the decrease in pain and pain med's. But, as I said, hard to stay in bed and on bed rest now that I'm feeling better.

I have so much room in my cast now that I can stick my whole hand down in it but when I'm up for a bit my leg/ankle/foot swell and fill the voids.

I will behave and do what I'm told for the next week until I see my surgeon and get stitches out. Don't want to screw anything up and delay the healing. Really lookiing forward to the fiberglass cast though and hopefully being able to get in the pool and enjoy the rest of my summer with the family and being able to start putting some weight on it.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #58
(female)

My casts have all done that too, at first snug then a couple weeks later can stick my hand down inside. It's not just from being swollen, your leg muscles will atrophy really fast! When they removed my last cast I was shocked my calf was gone, looks like I have one stick leg, and I have/had pretty muscular calves in fact I've been complemented on them several times over the yrs. Not manly but defined. Also all of my casts have been fiberglass but they are all lined with soft cloth and no way can I get them wet, I hope yours are something different. So happy for you that you're not in horrible pain anymore! Cant believe you had 5 falls so glad you didn't get hurt worse. Glad you got to enjoy your Canada Day, we have our Independence Day on the 4th, gonna have some friends over for a bbq, our daughters and their families are all at the lake house boating, wake boarding, water skiing needless to say we had to cancel this yr oh well, next year!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #59
(male)

FLIN21 HB User
Glad to hear you are making progress! Patience is key at this point, although very tempting, do not push yourself! I know it feels like time is going by slow in the moment and you are getting antsy but you will be on the other side of this quicker than you think. It seems like just yesterday I was seeing your first post just talking about preparing for surgery that was still a few weeks from being done, and here you are now a few weeks post op and much closer to a healthier ankle :-) I'm still having to keep myself from pushing too far, i've been weight bearing and walking in an boot for almost 2 weeks now, but my ankle is still very weak. It's been 10 weeks since surgery and all I want is to not deal with any ankle stuff anymore, just be normal!!! I'm getting there, but I keep having to tell myself to take it easy and let my body heal. You've made it through the toughest part, you got this!!!

FLIN21

Old 07-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #60
(female)

LondonLady1 HB User

I understand your frustration. I will be 4 weeks post- op this Friday and it's getting a bit tedious now. Like someone else said the main thing keeping me from trying to over do it is the thought of having to go back to square one again - that, and Wimbledon! I want to do all I can to avoid having to have another/ repeat procedure. That may happen anyway but I don't want to be the cause of it. One slip was frightening enough. I am cheating on the leg elevation regime though...I have chairs/ stools stationed around the house that I am using to do some normal stuff...prepare food etc. it takes forever, but breaks up the monotony a bit. Hope that's not going to cause me a problem. I am largely off painkillers now - the odd paracetamol - and swelling has gone down. The worst thing is the cracked dry skin on my foot and toes that is sore. I'm dealing with that with baby wipes and moisturiser.

Closed Thread