It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #61
(female)

SillyGirls HB UserSillyGirls HB User
Re: Ankle Reconstruction in 2wks... :-(

Thanks Flin....yesterday/last night was by far the worst mentally. Now that pain has decreased so much and after 15 days on bed rest I'm really going stir crazy. Last night I told my hubby to cut the cast off...lol....of course he wouldn't do that. Not sure which is trying my patience more...the cast, bed rest or not being able to walk.

I know I have at least 5 more wks in a cast....I just wanna get up and start walking and doing things. And be "normal" like you said.

I'm glad you are doing so well in your recovery and that you are up and walking...I also read your thread and the time since your surgery seems to have passed so quickly.

2 nights ago I decided to wheel myself out the kitchen. My hubby was outside doing some yardwork and I wanted to marinate the chicken we were going to have for dinner. I sat in the wheelchair , got the chicken out of the fridge, the marinade out of the cupboard etc and marinated the chicken myself....lol. As silly as it sounds I was totally thrilled with myself having done that and having done it myself. That was the first time in 2wks that I was able to do something by myself and not be in horrendous pain . Small victories right.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #62
(female)

Hi London,

Lots of lotion....get your hubby to rub lotion on your foot a couple times a day. I know what you mean about the fall's being frightening...I had 5 of them so my surgeon told me to stay off the crutches and stick to the wheelchair until I'm allowed to start putting some weight on my leg.

Mon was 2wks post op for me and when I think back to day 1 the time has actually gone by pretty quickly. I am doing everything the doc says and abiding by his 3 full wks of bedrest.....6 more days on bed rest then I will get some freedom back...yay!

As difficult as it is it's what I have to do for now.....like you said...messing up what the dr did and ending up back at square one would be awful and is definately NOT what want.

I hope your recovery continues to go well and that you're up and dancing in no time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #63
(female)

Well, I'm almost over my first major hurdle...that being 3wks of bed rest. Including today I am down to my final 4 days of being stuck in bed....wooohooo!

Cast off and stitches out Tues morning then I'll get a walking cast and hopefully be allowed to start putting some weight on my leg.

The last few days have been so mentally challenging...I've had my emotional moments as well as a few cranky moments....But, I survived it . Tues morning can't come soon enough.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: SillyGirls
MikeJF (07-06-2013), mnags (07-05-2013), vikkio (07-10-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #64
(female)

mnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB User

Its amazing how while you're in that first stage it seems like it will never end. I'm over 9 weeks post op and I cant belive now how fast it has gone. The bad parts are just a blur. Still a long haul ahead for me and you, but I think the worse is over! Keep hanging in there it will be Tuesday before you know it

The following user gives a hug of support to mnags:
vikkio (07-10-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #65
(female)

I am a very happy camper today

I saw my surgeon this morning for my 3wk post op visit. He said everything looks really good and is healing nicely.

Stitches were taken out and a new cast put on....I am now sporting a fabulous purple fiberglass cast for the next 4wks when I will go back again and hopefully go into the boot at that point.

He has given me the OK to start putting some weight on it and walking with the crutches. As soon as I'm able to put full weight and walk without pain he said to get rid of the crutches .

I am naturally apprehensive and a little nervous to start weight bearing only 3wks after surgery. I will just do a little bit at a time, slowly and gradually easing myself into FWB and walking withouth crutches. I'm expecting it will take a week or so be comfortable enough to do that.

So glad to be up and around though and have a small amount of my freedom back..

The Following User Says Thank You to SillyGirls For This Useful Post:
vikkio (07-10-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #66
(female)

mnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB Usermnags HB User

YAY for you. Wow you've come along way in 3 weeks! Be careful don't over do and be sure to elevate, your foot will swell a lot from putting weight on it and there's not much room in these casts and it get real uncomfortable when it's tight. Good luck with your new venture

Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #67
(female)

Newleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB UserNewleftside HB User

Congrats on your progress and making it to the next stage. I echo what Mnags said about elevating and swelling. Don't over do until you learn how much your foot can handle. Take it slow and easy at first. I am very excited for you and everyone that is making progress.

I am 14+ weeks post op and my PT is cutting me loose next week as long as things continue to progress well. I have been walking 3 miles every day this week and am very impressed with how well my foot and ankle have held up.

Happy healing to all!

Old 07-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #68
(male)

MikeJF HB User

that is amazing news for you!

i am glad you are feeling better and sporting an amazing purple fibre glass cast. take it easy and i look forward to hearing about your progress.

i go tomorrow for my follow up to get my staples out and get my fiberglass cast, not sure what to get.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #69
(male)

Steamboatdawg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newleftside View Post
I am 14+ weeks post op and my PT is cutting me loose next week as long as things continue to progress well. I have been walking 3 miles every day this week and am very impressed with how well my foot and ankle have held up.

Happy healing to all!
This is good to hear. Tomorrow, I'll be 9 weeks out from virtually the same surgery as you. I rallied a bit to get myself up for a visit out west to see my sister, who lives on the coast just south of San Francisco. It's very hilly there. I went on a 1.5 mile (slow) walk with my daughter the other day, and my ankle swelled up big. I iced it down for the next few days and it feels better.

Happy with where I am at. My doc moved me right from a NWB cast at 6 weeks, to a walking cast for 1 week. So, at 7 weeks, my nurses and doctor were encouraging me to walk without crutches, a boot, or anything. Tad painful at first, but it's getting better.

In 5 weeks....I'll look forward to walking 3 miles

Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #70
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnags View Post
YAY for you. Wow you've come along way in 3 weeks! Be careful don't over do and be sure to elevate, your foot will swell a lot from putting weight on it and there's not much room in these casts and it get real uncomfortable when it's tight. Good luck with your new venture
yes, have definately come a long way in the past 3 wks. Hard to believe I am only 3wks post op and already starting to walk again.

I was up and around on it a bit today and the swelling and pain returned quite quickly. I took frequent breaks and elevated in between . It is going to be a slow process getting back to FWB and walking, but that's ok....I'm just so glad to be able to be up and around a bit.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #71
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIN21 View Post
Glad to hear you are making progress! Patience is key at this point, although very tempting, do not push yourself! I know it feels like time is going by slow in the moment and you are getting antsy but you will be on the other side of this quicker than you think. It seems like just yesterday I was seeing your first post just talking about preparing for surgery that was still a few weeks from being done, and here you are now a few weeks post op and much closer to a healthier ankle :-) I'm still having to keep myself from pushing too far, i've been weight bearing and walking in an boot for almost 2 weeks now, but my ankle is still very weak. It's been 10 weeks since surgery and all I want is to not deal with any ankle stuff anymore, just be normal!!! I'm getting there, but I keep having to tell myself to take it easy and let my body heal. You've made it through the toughest part, you got this!!!

FLIN21

patience is absolutely key FLIN....slow and steady wins the race. As difficult as it is to keep ourselves from overdoing it we need to be good..lol....All I have to do is think back to 3wks ago the day of my surgery and horrible I felt for a solid 2kws after. That's all it takes to keep me in check and make me take it easy.

Today is only my 1st day being allowed to PWB and boy did my ankle tell me when it had had enough.

But, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and this won't last forever.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #72
(male)

FLIN21 HB User
This is a HUGE "step" forward! :-) You have survived the bed rest and are already on your way to getting back on your feet, good for you! I can tell in your post that you are already feeling so much better, physically and emotionally, keep those spirits up!

I have just 3 days left walking in this big boot/air cast and then it's on to wearing a brace for a few weeks! I'm 11weeks post op and can't believe the progress I'm making every day. I still find myself getting discouraged every now and again, as it gets old limiting yourself from activities that you soo badly just want to be able to do without question. I'm doing my best to keep the big picture in mind and realize I've made it through the toughest part and my patience will be worth it in the end!

FLIN21

Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #73
(female)

LondonLady1 HB User

Best of luck with the continued recovery Silly. Your cast looks just like mine (minus the glitter). I have just over a week left in the cast then move to a boot. Not sure if it's the same thing over here as there. I hope it's not too heavy.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #74
(male)

MikeJF HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyGirls View Post
Hi Mike, hope all goes well for you tomorrrow. Depending on your surgeon he may recommend that dreaded air cast boot rather then fiberglass...if he does...ask for fiberglass....so much lighter then those air casts.

Also, as you are in Canada like me the air cast , depending on what hospital you go it is about $175 there is also a fee for the fiberglass cast.

I had to pay $95 on the spot for my cast...but that's ok, my insurance will reimburse that cost.
So be prepared to go out of pocket some money tomorrow.

Let me know how it goes..
Hello Sillygirls!
glad to hear you are a happy camper and things went well.

Love the killer purple cast.

I am actually just getting back home from my appointment, things look good.

staples were a small pain coming out, a pain for me that is as it hurt a bit.

i am now in my green fiber glass cast and loving it. it was $75 for me. I asked them to bill me so i will have my insurance do it. Means more money in my pocket...for now atleast...

Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #75
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIN21 View Post
This is a HUGE "step" forward! :-) You have survived the bed rest and are already on your way to getting back on your feet, good for you! I can tell in your post that you are already feeling so much better, physically and emotionally, keep those spirits up!

I have just 3 days left walking in this big boot/air cast and then it's on to wearing a brace for a few weeks! I'm 11weeks post op and can't believe the progress I'm making every day. I still find myself getting discouraged every now and again, as it gets old limiting yourself from activities that you soo badly just want to be able to do without question. I'm doing my best to keep the big picture in mind and realize I've made it through the toughest part and my patience will be worth it in the end!

FLIN21
That's fantastic Flin...3 more days and just imagine the freedom you'll be enjoying. So happy for you. Hopefully 2 months from now when I reach the 11wk mark I will be doing as well as you and able to walk cast and crutch free.

You've progressed very well....natural to be discouraged every now and then at every stage of the recovery process. When you feel just discouraged just think back to where you were at 11wks ago and you will be able to appreciate the progress you've made and where you are at in the recovery process now. You are so close to getting your full mobility back and enjoying all the activities you love doing.....3wks ago I could barely move, 2wks ago I wasnt even able to lift my own leg...1 wk ago I was finally able to begin lifting my leg and getting myself around the house in a wheelchair...and here I am today...able to walk with crutches ( albeit not very gracefully or for very long)....but I am able to be up on 2 feet for the first time in 3wks.....keep that positive attitude ..you've done so well.

Closed Thread