It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

flowerbomb1968 HB User
Subtalar Joint Arthritis

Hi everyone, I was in a car accident in 7/2006, was non weight bearing for almost a year, as you may all know, doctors aren't real informative about what is "really" wrong with you, unless you dig and dig and be very adamant about your issues...In my car accident I had 2 compound fractures, in the tib/fib, and shattered my heel as well, had a bone graph and muscle flap, after all these years I've been doing everything I possibly can think to do to control my pain, which is mainly in my foot, cold/hot compress, massage therapy, exercising, stretching, elevating when swollen, but my heel pain just continued to grow with the years...finally this past week, I went to another "ortho" doctor "and I specifically asked her, I want to know exactly where my pain is coming from, I had xrays and a MRI, so they should be able to tell me...she didn't say much about the MRI, but she said I have tendonitis and I also have arthritis in the subtalar joint, we didn't really address the tendonitis, because i'm thinking it's mainly the arthritis that is causing most of my pain in my foot? So I asked what are my options...she said anti inflammatory's, which I already take, a special boot when walking or exercising, which I can't wear all the time, since I work in a professional setting, so the boot won't fit in certain shoes..then she mentioned steroid injections, and last option fusion surgery, which i'm a little afraid of thinking about that option right now, from what I've read, fusion surgery can be a long recovery process, and I'm not really in a position to be out of work for a couple of months to recover....So i'm thinking about trying the Cortison/Steriod Injection in the subtalar joint, has anyone had these injections? Has it helped with pain? How is movement of your foot after these injections, I have very limited ROM right now, in all directions, since I had some nerve damage from the compound fracture, also can there be complications, or has anyone had any complications from having these injections? I have lots and lots of questions, but if anyone has had them, if you could give me some details of the outcome after having them, and how often do you have to get them, how much does it really relieve your pain? Does it do more damage to your cartilage? Or any sites that I could read up more about these injections? Any information would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Subtalar Joint Arthritis

Does the boot help? If so you could just be honest and tell people you were in an accident. Long dresses.

Last edited by Zerk; 06-13-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
(female)

AnkleDespair HB User
I had a subtalar fusions but prior to that I had cortisone injections. I personally didn't get any relief from the injections but some people do. I had five total in my ankle, two in my knee and one in my elbow and none ever helped. Definitely worth a shot for you though.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
(female)

subtalargirl HB User

Hi. I was also diagosed with Subtalar Arthritis, confirmed via CT scan. 2 weeks ago I had a steroid injection, which I was advised was both for pain and also diagnostic--so they could confirm exactly where the pain was coming from. I had 2 days relief from this injection. if anything, the pain is worse. (not the steroid flare up you get advised can happen) but my 'usual' pain multiplied. I will return to the consultant shortly to discuss--and have been advised if the injection did not work, I will be getting (and I agree to) a subtalar fusion. The everyday pain is unbelievable--and if it take surgery to fix it--so be it.

Last edited by subtalargirl; 07-04-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

I have arthritis in the navicular cuneiform joint in my foot; and I also have pain in what my podiatrist thinks is the anterior tibial tendon. I am scheduled for 2 MRI's (one of the foot and one of the ankle). Prior to this, I had 2 cortisone injections in the area of the joint, and one near the tendon. Personally, the injections did nothing for me (and my goodness, they are painful injections!). Also, I have heard that injections can cause future tears in the tendon. Do your research on the cortisone injections, and ask your healthcare provider as many questions as necessary to get answers.

Closed Thread